Apple I phones and sideloading

SteinwayTransitCorp

There is a story today in the Wall Street Journal, which states Apple is considering allowing sideloading of software on their phones. This is in direct response to a lawsuit brought in the EU more to follow.

givechanceachance

Folks that need a nanny to protect them pay for Apple iPhone products. If Apple goes with this then provide the user with a liability waiver, with a message not more than 10 words and not some 10 page Holy End User Agreement that is too much of a burden for most to read before blindly accepting.

Android has allowed side-loading for eons [dev mode] as well as third party app stores such as Amazon App store.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Folks that need a nanny to protect them pay for Apple iPhone products. If Apple goes with this then provide the user with a liability waiver, with a message not more than 10 words and not some 10 page Holy End User Agreement that is too much of a burden for most to read before blindly accepting.

Android has allowed side-loading for eons [dev mode] as well as third party app stores such as Amazon App store.
you do know since most of us had been doing side loading forever with our blackberrys, the news is still big and interesting at best. A step forward. As for the nannie part, no both systems are fine. Apple is locked down for control and security. Their phones can’t be beat for ease of use and compatibility across product lines. I still prefer BlackBerry OS10 but that ship sailed a long time ago.

givechanceachance

I was late in appreciating the BB10 when that was a thing. My preference then was what someone can do with the least foot print --- BBOS was all that out of the box. I do appreciate although a bit late the BB10 for being a real time OS based on QNX. And that may have been BB best investment as they are churning it towards the base OS of IoT technology in new automobiles and the self-driving stuff.
I could see BB QNX going full circle in a promising future. Not just a BB phone; fist though a QNX computer operating system for personal and corporate computing. It will take a bit of momentum to compete against OS/X and Windows yet Linux is doing well paving the alternate path. Which some suggest why the one sided MS loves Linux campaign.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I was late in appreciating the BB10 when that was a thing. My preference then was what someone can do with the least foot print --- BBOS was all that out of the box. I do appreciate although a bit late the BB10 for being a real time OS based on QNX. And that may have been BB best investment as they are churning it towards the base OS of IoT technology in new automobiles and the self-driving stuff.
I could see BB QNX going full circle in a promising future. Not just a BB phone; fist though a QNX computer operating system for personal and corporate computing. It will take a bit of momentum to compete against OS/X and Windows yet Linux is doing well paving the alternate path. Which some suggest why the one sided MS loves Linux campaign.
I would love to see OS 10 come back into full throttle, but I fear that ship sailed and is not coming back…….

Chuck Finley69

Apple iPhones and sideloading refer to the ability to install apps on an iPhone without using the official App Store. Unlike Android phones, iPhones do not allow users to sideload apps directly, and all apps must be downloaded from the App Store. However, there have been calls from some users and developers to allow sideloading on iPhones, arguing that it would promote competition and give users more control over their devices.

Apple, on the other hand, has argued that sideloading would lead to security and privacy risks, as users may inadvertently install malicious software or compromise their devices. Additionally, Apple claims that the App Store provides a curated and secure experience for users and developers, with strict guidelines and quality standards in place.

In summary, while there are arguments for and against sideloading on iPhones, it ultimately remains up to Apple to decide whether to allow it or not.
Welcome to CrackBerry!!!! Post early and post often!!!!!

durendal

I've always hated Apple for the longest time because of how selfish they are with their proprietary technology. But I do recognize that their OS and user experience is much more stable than Android. Though it may look stingy to others, I see it as a way to maintain the user experience they intended it to be. My phones have always been Android, which I have changed multiple times, and user experience is not that stable for me. Unlike my one apple device, I have yet to encounter any issues with it.

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Apple talking about opening up OS 16 for non approved apps.
Another move to meet EU coming requirements....

I suspect like with Android it will require user to allow it, and accept their phone may not be secure anymore if they install something that is not "safe". So in the end very few will risk it, but at least it will give some an option.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Another move to meet EU coming requirements....

I suspect like with Android it will require user to allow it, and accept their phone may not be secure anymore if they install something that is not "safe". So in the end very few will risk it, but at least it will give some an option.
Let’s see what they really do, Apple has a way of saying yes then dragging its feet for years, unless it benefits Apple ……lmao