Big Oil is coming for EVs (in a good way?)

CrackBerry News

Staff member
Big Oil is coming for EVs (in a good way?)Some of the biggest oil companies in the world have acknowledged that the future of surface transportation will largely be electric, and they don't want to miss out on that rapidly expanding pie....

Continue reading...

Ph1llip

Not a particularly scholarly or insightful article Derek 🥴:

1. Energy companies don't give a flying fig what the energy source is. They're in it for the profit (as any self respecting company would be). If tomorrow's energy source du jour turns out to be macadamias, Chevron would be buying huge swathes of farmland growing the thing.

80% of America's electricity including those for EV's is produced by fossil fuels and nuclear. Renewables sit at 20% (and will probably sit there unless a) someone makes the economics of hideously expensive and woefully un-durable solar cells and wind turbines more sensible b) makes the storage mechanisms more energy dense.

2. The title of the article is misleading. Someone might explain to Mr Kessler the difference between Stored Energy as opposed to Primary Energy. Electricity isn't an intrinsic power source in itself unlike for example oil, which undergoes a comparatively simpler process of refinement to make it ready to be consumed to produce energy. Unless you're an electric eel or a lightning bolt. Good luck utilizing those.

3. "Big Oil coming for EV's" is a ridiculous statement and is click-bait. Big Oil will come for anything that makes them money. They must be sitting in their boardrooms laughing at how virtue signalling greenies think they're no longer consuming fossil fuels with their BEV's.

I miss the days when Mobile Nations had insightful pieces that were well thought out...now, it's just easily debunked click-bait. And I'm not even an engineer or scientist 🤪.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Big Oil is coming for EVs (in a good way?)Some of the biggest oil companies in the world have acknowledged that the future of surface transportation will largely be electric, and they don't want to miss out on that rapidly expanding pie....

Continue reading...
Yes they are, they will suck at the government teat while making record profits because of morons in governments. “ never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups”

spARTacus

I thought the piece was ok to read. I had a laugh at the "shithead" language. The title was probably meant to do exactly what it did, get us to read it and then discuss it. I don't see much reason to want to try to debunk or not debunk different parts of it. Other than a bit where it went on about big oil wrecking things (and the shithead part), there seems to have been an attempt to mainly write around facts, with perhaps also a bit of speculation.

Sure wish however, we knew where they prefer us to put our comments about these. Different responses to the piece are now spread acrosss at least two different places. That kind of stifles the discussion.