Bots

Could someone explain just what a bot is? I know they're some kind of program that posts junk on internet forums but that's it.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Could someone explain just what a bot is? I know they're some kind of program that posts junk on internet forums but that's it.
A part of the program designed to mimic a human being. It is to engage you, but to steer you in the direction they want you to go, it can also be used to spread propaganda or insight people to do bad things or get upset. most companies now when you go online to talk to them the first level is a bot.

A part of the program designed to mimic a human being. It is to engage you, but to steer you in the direction they want you to go, it can also be used to spread propaganda or insight people to do bad things or get upset. most companies now when you go online to talk to them the first level is a bot.
Yes, I've encountered those automated help fields, haven't found them helpful. :rotfl: TBH, there was one time it got me there, but that's one out of dozens of occasions. The other times, the only solution was reaching a human, who quickly solved the problem.

I think those kind of bots are helpful to the business using them, on the theory it lets them ration the number of humans.

Like telephone voice menus designed to make it harder to talk to a sentient being. A symptom of the times, like self serve checkouts in grocery stores.

Last edited:

spARTacus

Nowadays, a bot can probably refer to a few different things.

Look at the "current online members" section of this CC site and you can sometimes see indication of a few of the different "bots" that are automatically scouring in here across the different threads and posts, presumably harvesting for information to use for search engines or trending data.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Nowadays, a bot can probably refer to a few different things.

Look at the "current online members" section of this CC site and you can sometimes see indication of a few of the different "bots" that are automatically scouring in here across the different threads and posts, presumably harvesting for information to use for search engines or trending data.
Another way you thoughts are being harvested