California Man ‘Lucky to Be Alive’ After Tesla Caught Fire on Highway

SteinwayTransitCorp

A man in California narrowly escaped a dangerous vehicle fire over the weekend, saying he is grateful to be alive after his electric vehicle (EV) suddenly caught fire while he was driving on a highway.

“It’s just like all gone. I’m just so lucky to be alive … and I’m so glad that my family was not there,” Bishal Malla told local TV station KCRA News.

Malla noted that he could not stop thinking about what might have happened if his family had been traveling together with him when the incident unfolded, pointing to the extra time it would take to get the children out of their safety seats.

“I’m just speechless right now,” Malla said. “There are two baby seats still over there. I have a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old,” he added.

Malla was driving back home to pick up his family on May 6 when his Tesla suddenly began to shake while he was running some errands. Concerned, he immediately pulled over and exited the car to check for a flat tire, but when he opened his door he “saw smoke coming from the bottom,” Malla told the network.

After noticing smoke billowing from underneath his car, Malla quickly called 911 and started to record the fire on his phone from a distance. In the video, the car is seen entirely engulfed in flames as a group of firefighters watch the car burn.

Cosumnes Fire Department Battalion Chief Robert Kasparian told the Sacramento TV station that current research indicates it is best to just let EVs burn if they should catch fire until the battery can be accessed.

“The issue with the electric vehicles is access to the batteries,” Kasparian said. “The batteries are what are causing the enormous amount of heat buildup.”

“A lot of times, fire departments will just let the vehicle burn until it’s down to the point where they can actually access the batteries and put water or firefighting foam on the batteries themselves,” he added.

Kasparian said the exact cause of the fire is currently unclear to fire officials.

EV Battery Fires​

Battery-powered vehicles are notoriously difficult to deal with when they catch fire, while EVs catch fire less frequently than gas-powered cars, the use of lithium-ion batteries means the fires can burn for longer and be more intense.

Most EV fires, although rare, come after a car accident. There have been instances in which EV owners reported their cars spontaneously burst into flames while just parked outside, or even while charging.

As of May 10, there have been 182 Tesla vehicles that caught fire worldwide in the past decade, according to Tesla Fire, a website that records all Tesla fires reported by news articles or verified primary sources. Out of all these incidents, nearly 100 happened in the United States.

In another similar incident that happened this year in California, a Tesla Model S “spontaneously” burst into flames on Highway 50 while traveling at “freeway speeds,” the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District said on Twitter.

spARTacus

182 world wide Tesla fires in the last decade (although I suspect they're under tracking/reporting). That's like 1.5 a month. Wonder how many ICE fires there are worldwide, per month based on the last decade, and given the article say EV fires are rare and less frequent than ICEs?

"...just let the vehicle burn.." Good to know the fire departments have now figured out their approach when an EV catches fire.

Wonder how many folks are happy to see their EV burn to the ground (and insurance write off) when the battery capacity state has gone way down and they are otherwise faced with thousands of dollars to refurbish?

SteinwayTransitCorp

182 world wide Tesla fires in the last decade (although I suspect they're under tracking/reporting). That's like 1.5 a month. Wonder how many ICE fires there are worldwide, per month based on the last decade, and given the article say EV fires are rare and less frequent than ICEs?

"...just let the vehicle burn.." Good to know the fire departments have now figured out their approach when an EV catches fire.

Wonder how many folks are happy to see their EV burn to the ground (and insurance write off) when the battery capacity state has gone way down and they are otherwise faced with thousands of dollars to refurbish?
Not all fire departments report. Many insurance companies will no longer insure an EV

Ph1llip

LOL no way I'm sitting my ass on a moving thermal runaway magic carpet on wheels. For now. :LOL:. On a serious note, I wonder why they all seem to be Tesla's? You don't hear of a Hyundai/Kia EV catching fire for example. :unsure:

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Last report I read, still has gasoline powered vehicles having a much higher risk of fire.

Had not heard of insurance companies no longer insuring an EV.... did know they tend to be more costly to insure. But that has more to do with the costs to make repairs to these cars.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Last report I read, still has gasoline powered vehicles having a much higher risk of fire.

Had not heard of insurance companies no longer insuring an EV.... did know they tend to be more costly to insure. But that has more to do with the costs to make repairs to these cars.
They do not repair them, they total them. There was an article about this about 2 months ago, also when you look at the numbers based on number of cars on the road then EVs burn at a very high rate against how many are on the road.

spARTacus

...On a serious note, I wonder why they all seem to be Tesla's? You don't hear of a Hyundai/Kia EV catching fire for example....
Having Tesla in the headline is probably flashier, bigger target right now and less people interested in reading about Volt fires, for example. Tesla may also be pushing the limits of design and safety further than others.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Well, even apparently hard headed insurance companies have drunk the woke Kool-Aid. Wish I had what you were drinking, guys.

The interesting stat is how they do not break out total numbers on the road versus fires, than the EVs jump to the top.

spARTacus

Not really, real numbers break out total on road versus fires.
Numbers are numbers and all of them are real, unless the numbers in question are fabricated (which in some cases could be true), or unless we start talking about mathematics and complex numbers.

How numbers are presented can indeed be miss-leading. They don't really explain what numbers they used from the NTSB and the BTS. Given the "transportation" aspect of those two organizations, one could assume (probably not erroneously) that the numbers they used are mainly representative about vehicles on the road. I agree it would have been more precise if they clarified about on road, but I don't think they really had to. They also didn't clarify about recency of the sales time period they used. Presumably, it's not 2023 sales because 2023 is still ongoing. Regardless, unless they included sales numbers from years ago, one could assume (again probably not erroneously) that relatively recent sales is mainly representative of things purchased that are still on the road.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Numbers are numbers and all of them are real, unless the numbers in question are fabricated (which in some cases could be true), or unless we start talking about mathematics and complex numbers.

How numbers are presented can indeed be miss-leading. They don't really explain what numbers they used from the NTSB and the BTS. Given the "transportation" aspect of those two organizations, one could assume (probably not erroneously) that the numbers they used are mainly representative about vehicles on the road. I agree it would have been more precise if they clarified about on road, but I don't think they really had to. They also didn't clarify about recency of the sales time period they used. Presumably, it's not 2023 sales because 2023 is still ongoing. Regardless, unless they included sales numbers from years ago, one could assume (again probably not erroneously) that relatively recent sales is mainly representative of things purchased that are still on the road.
Just keep right on talking………Lol

idssteve

An aftermarket Bold battery once went "thermo nuclear" for a coworker. He simply popped it out onto the concrete floor. Burn stains still there. New batt and back on the job in under 5 minutes. A battery capable of rapid ejection poses interesting possibilities on many levels. imo

SteinwayTransitCorp

An aftermarket Bold battery once went "thermo nuclear" for a coworker. He simply popped it out onto the concrete floor. Burn stains still there. New batt and back on the job in under 5 minutes. A battery capable of rapid ejection poses interesting possibilities on many levels. imo
unless you are in a tunnel……LMAO

idssteve

unless you are in a tunnel……LMAO
Tunnels certainly pose challenges. Even for gasoline. Thing about oxidized combustion of hydrocarbon, limiting oxygen availability limits combustion. Limiting energy rejection. Not so simple with batteries "thermo-nuking" on stored energy. Lol.

Learned at single digit age to NOT pop hood for a carb fire... lol.

Even in a tunnel, i see potential safety and equipment damage mitigation using quickly detachable battery packs. Fwiw.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Tunnels certainly pose challenges. Even for gasoline. Thing about oxidized combustion of hydrocarbon, limiting oxygen availability limits combustion. Limiting energy rejection. Not so simple with batteries "thermo-nuking" on stored energy. Lol.

Learned at single digit age to NOT pop hood for a carb fire... lol.

Even in a tunnel, i see potential safety and equipment damage mitigation using quickly detachable battery packs. Fwiw.
I think the real issue will be the speed the packs go poof.

idssteve

I think the real issue will be the speed the packs go poof.
Lol... Definitely don't want to jettison while under way... Or, perhaps a new sport? Battery hockey? Bang the battery around a vacant Walmart parking lot with EV air dams? Demolition derby style?? Lol Stuffing the goal before battery mushroom clouds earns double points? Lol

SteinwayTransitCorp

Lol... Definitely don't want to jettison while under way... Or, perhaps a new sport? Battery hockey? Bang the battery around a vacant Walmart parking lot with EV air dams? Demolition derby style?? Lol Stuffing the goal before battery mushroom clouds earns double points? Lol
Same player shoots again! LMAO