China

Ph1llip

I am not familiar with that program, Woke, at University of Waterloo. Assuming it's not part of their faculty of Engineering, Math, Science, Environment or Heath, then presumably it's under their faculty of Arts? Under what aspects of their Arts faculty does it exist? Finance and According, Interaction Design and Business, International Affairs or Social Work?
I like you Spartz. You're the bright, earnest butterbar that comes in thinking he'll revolutionize his platoon until the sergeant sits him down :LOL:. I unfortunately am too far gone but I envy that you can still think the best of any situation!

spARTacus

Not sure I think the best of any situation. However, the whole woke thing seems rather elusive in meaning/motive so it seems kind of odd to me for it to be periodically referred to in such ambiguous context. There of course wasn't clarity either from any of the University of Waterloo programs.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I like you Spartz. You're the bright, earnest butterbar that comes in thinking he'll revolutionize his platoon until the sergeant sits him down :LOL:. I unfortunately am too far gone but I envy that you can still think the best of any situation!
You seemed to have covered it………………………amazing

this story my explain it>

Canada's new crown design ditches cross in favor of snowflake — and critics are having a hilarious field day​

Dave UrbanskiMay 09, 2023
Canada's new crown design places a snowflake at the top where a cross once stood, and critics are absolutely raking the move over the coals.

What are the details?​

The National Post reported that the new design for the Canadian Royal Crown also replaces other religious symbols such as the fleur-de-lis — and other crosses — for maple leaves. The Catholic Church has viewed the fleur-de-lis as a symbol for the Virgin Mary, and its three "petals" have been used to represent the Holy Trinity.

The Post added that the new design, created by the Canadian Heraldic Authority, has "sparked concern that the crown has become politicized." Some critics have called it the “Trudeau Crown," the outlet added, presumably a reference to far-left Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

In fact, the Governor Genera's website says the new crown was “approved in April 2023 by His Majesty The King on the advice of the Prime Minister of Canada," the Post reported.

The website explains that the maple leaves are “a quintessential Canadian symbol,” the outlet said. And the snowflake? It's “a reference to Canada being a northern realm," the Post added.

“The stylized snowflake makes a direct connection with the insignia of the Order of Canada, one of our country’s highest honours, of which The King is the sovereign,” the outlet noted, citing the website.

How are folks reacting?​

As you might expect, the new crown design is being blasted on Twitter — particularly because the term "snowflake" has in recent years come to represent young leftists. The bulldozing of religion also was noted.

• "Makes sense, snowflakes while we're under a snowflake," one commenter wrote.
  • "More Cultural Marxism," another user said. "There's a war on Christianity around the world. And it's been foretold."
  • "Might as well just put 666 on it," another commenter suggested.
  • "Anyone who thinks our drama queen [prime minister] who professes a love for the murderous, tyrannical communist Chinese regime would do anything but try to destroy our traditions and heritage that made us great are deluded and deranged, if not mentally ill," another user said. "God save us."
  • "The snowflake is a perfect depiction of today's Canadian society!" another commenter declared.
  • "Roflmao. Canada has totally become the country of snowflakes. Oh my," another user noted.
  • "I am surprised Canada did not replace the cross with a homosexual flag or a black fist," another commenter wrote.

Last edited:

spARTacus

You seemed to have covered it………………………amazing

this story my explain it>...

I don't see woke mentioned at all. I do see snowflake mentioned, and then mockery related to that due to a current slang use of the term snowflake. Should that be the understanding implied whenever someone mentions woke? Equivalent to also the current slang use of snowflake? Why the need for two terms?

Chuck Finley69

I don't see woke mentioned at all. I do see snowflake mentioned, and then mockery related to that due to a current slang use of the term snowflake. Should that be the understanding implied whenever someone mentions woke? Equivalent to also the current slang use of snowflake? Why the need for two terms?
==============================
One is for the success of BlackBerry and the other for success of Canada perhaps..

Chuck Finley69

That's not really consistent with how woke has been used in this forum. I appreciate the effort though. A better attempt at explaining than other ones thus far.
==================================
Woke can usually describe snowflakes to many people however a better substitute for woke could be term, virtue signaling, if that seems more appropriate

spARTacus

Woke can usually describe snowflakes to many people however a better substitute for woke could be term, virtue signaling, if that seems more appropriate
So woke is when people say they are doing something, but what they are doing is just for show, they aren't actually doing much?

SteinwayTransitCorp

So woke is when people say they are doing something, but what they are doing is just for show, they aren't actually doing much?
To a point, it is also for shock value “look at me”………….or something done just to do it.

aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)
But we will only succeed if we reject the growing pressure to retreat into cynicism and hopelessness. … We have a moral obligation to "stay woke," take a stand and be active; challenging injustices and racism in our communities and fighting hatred and discrimination wherever it rises.—Barbara Lee

… argued that … Brad Pitt is not only woke, but the wokest man in Hollywood … because he uses his status—and his production company Plan B—to create space for artists of color, with such films as 12 Years a Slave, Selma, and the upcoming film Moonlight.—Giselle Defares

Being woke to gender discrimination is difficult; it ruins things you love. Entire canons of art are rotten to the core with it.—Rachel Edelstein

—often used in contexts that suggest someone's expressed beliefs about such matters are not backed with genuine concern or action
There is never really a moment where a person of color doesn’t have to deal with discrimination, whether it be veiled and passive or as blunt as possible. So, woke white people, why can’t you step in?—Lauren SanchezEnter the age of the performatively woke brand. Politics has become a kind of fashion accessory for corporate America these days, a way to profit from protest.—Jon Gingerich"Fake woke" behavior arises. We put the hashtags on our social media. #Sayhername, #icantbreathe, #blacklivesmatter. And repeat. The problem is that the level of concern we express online doesn’t match the everyday behavior we exhibit.—Surayya Walters

b
: reflecting the attitudes of woke people
woke values/language

In our newly woke times, there has been increased scrutiny of old films dealing with sensitive subjects.—Hannah Jane Parkinson

He wants to make The Wombles more "woke" so the characters are gender-fluid or of different races.—Liz Perkins

disapproving : politically liberal (as in matters of racial and social justice) especially in a way that is considered unreasonable or extreme
The national conservatives view today’s liberals as woke cultural warriors who pose an existential threat to the nation and its traditions.—Shadi Hamid

He’s built a social media brand on the right railing against "woke liberals" and supporting former President Donald Trump.—Marissa Martinez

The military is struggling to find new recruits to fill its ranks. … While the official reasons given by the military—including fewer face-to-face recruitments during the pandemic, and fewer young people who meet the physical standards required—likely play a role, some say it’s because the military is too "woke," turning off its normal constituency of young, conservative recruits.—Suzanne Bates

If there is any hope, it’s that voters are rejecting woke green goals. Already this has occurred in Sweden and Italy, where voters threw out left-wing governments …—Michael Shellenberger

'Woke capitalism' tends to be a term that critics use to refer to … portfolios that are built around environmental, social and governance issues like climate change or diversity.—Victor Reklaitis

wokeness noun often disapproving
As wokeness pervades our society, expect to see a lot more limits placed on our daily word choices. —Ingrid Jacques

woke
2 of 2

spARTacus

To a point, it is also for shock value “look at me”………….or something done just to do it.

aware of and actively....
That post was kind of useless. No idea what of it is your words and opinion vs what of it you cut and pasted from somewhere of your choice for quantity impact, not quality. If I didn't know better I'd say that whole post was just for show and shock, kinda woke if using Chuck's definition and even part your definition. I guess you'll say that's me just doubting again, not accepting what you provide as fact? Hard to understand from that post of yours where any of that text comes from and therefore what could be opinion, subjective, somewhat accepted fact, etc.. I'll take a read of it anyway. Next time maybe just provide links.

Edit - I see now you have included some citations. That helps trudge through the lengthy text. I'll take back some of what I said.

SteinwayTransitCorp

That post was kind of useless. No idea what of it is your words and opinion vs what of it you cut and pasted from somewhere of your choice for quantity impact, not quality. If I didn't know better I'd say that whole post was just for show and shock, kinda woke if using Chuck's definition and even part your definition. I guess you'll say that's me just doubting again, not accepting what you provide as fact? Hard to understand from that post of yours where any of that text comes from and therefore what could be opinion, subjective, somewhat accepted fact, etc.. I'll take a read of it anyway. Next time maybe just provide links.

Edit - I see now you have included some citations. That helps trudge through the lengthy text. I'll take back some of what I said.
Some ? Lmao………….it’s direct from Miriam-Webster dictionary.

oh my!

spARTacus

...aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)...

...reject the growing pressure to retreat into cynicism and hopelessness...

...often used in contexts that suggest someone's expressed beliefs about such matters are not backed with genuine concern or action...

...Politics has become a kind of fashion accessory for corporate America these days, a way to profit from protest...

...We put the hashtags on our social media. #Sayhername, #icantbreathe, #blacklivesmatter. And repeat. The problem is that the level of concern we express online doesn’t match the everyday behavior we exhibit...

...disapproving : politically liberal (as in matters of racial and social justice) especially in a way that is considered unreasonable or extreme
The national conservatives view today’s liberals as woke cultural warriors who pose an existential threat to the nation and its traditions...

If there is any hope, it’s that voters are rejecting woke green goals. Already this has occurred in Sweden and Italy, where voters threw out left-wing governments...

...Woke capitalism' tends to be a term that critics use to refer to … portfolios that are built around environmental, social and governance issues like climate change or diversity...

...wokeness noun often disapproving...

I've extracted out what I think are maybe the useful aspects of text from what you posted, to help explain woke. Still not sure what it means. I'll have to re-read and think about it. Certainly doesn't seem clear/consistent enough (to me) to want to regularly use, unless one is only wanting to use one particular aspect of meaning for some specific purpose.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

I've extracted out what I think are maybe the useful aspects of text from what you posted, to help explain woke. Still not sure what it means. I'll have to re-read and think about it. Certainly doesn't seem clear/consistent enough (to me) to want to regularly use, unless one is only wanting to use one particular aspect of meaning for some specific purpose.
Maybe next time with pictures

spARTacus

Some ? Lmao………….it’s direct from Miriam-Webster dictionary.

oh my!
I guess it's suitable for the "nowadays" thread, the Webster's dictionary nowadays relying on interpretative quotes from individuals? That's always a good solid approach to facts.

That's all sarcasm by the way, instead of more poking at your wide swath cutting and pasting and not formating posting skills (which in seriousness, does impact quality of read and therefore ability to successfully articulate what you're trying to convey). 😜

spARTacus

So I'll go out on a limb and guess that the woke meanings most often being used here in this forum by a collection of some select posters is the meanings focused around things anti environmental, anti liberal, anti equality, anti protest, etc..?

Chuck Finley69

So I'll go out on a limb and guess that the woke meanings most often being used here in this forum by a collection of some select posters is the meanings focused around things anti environmental, anti liberal, anti equality, anti protest, etc..?
I don't think so as it's more around being for something usually political correct but to a point of absurdity.

Ph1llip

Spartz, your "What is Woke" monologue is getting old. You know exactly what it is, you don't like the fact that ordinary folks have found a simple, catchy four letter word to describe a large group of nut jobs , so you think that by pretending to be genuinely questioning it, you can appear impartial. You ain't fooling anyone. Please PM me a mailing address so I can send you a case of Bud Light :LOL:.