Double Decker Buses

SteinwayTransitCorp

New Looks were available in both Transit and Suburban versions. Transits were traditional city buses with two doors; Suburbans had forward-facing seats (four-abreast), underfloor luggage bays, and had only one door. The floor beneath the seats was higher than the center aisle to accommodate the luggage bays. There were also "Suburban-style" transits which had forward-facing seats on slightly raised platforms that gave the appearance of a dropped center aisle. GM refused to install lavatories on these buses; at least one transit authority (Sacramento Transit Authority in Sacramento, California) added its own.

spARTacus

Greyhound discontinued service for lots of routes in Canada over recent years, routes that didn't make enough money (even considering whatever subsidies they may have also received from Governments, if in some cases they receive any of that). COVID made things worse but even before COVID things weren't great for bus services for certain routes/area in Canada. A while back in Canada here was also GreyCoach (from here to there and everywhere). GreyCoach was the first to die off many years ago. As the article says, many people have simply gotten used to or spoiled by cars. The BBC reality show specifically created artificial drama (in my opinion) for the benefit of their viewers over in Europe, so many of those unaware of how spread out things in North America actually are. Everyone in Europe is used to the convenience of being able to just hop onto a commuter train or transit bus, and a 30 minute or 1-2 hour max ride to most of where ever they might want to go.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Back to the news, power issues expected this summer throughout Europe. Since they all pray at mount Greta this is what they get. Oh sorry not sheep, what do you call people who vote to cut their own throats.

spARTacus

Back to the news, power issues expected this summer throughout Europe. Since they all pray at mount Greta this is what they get. Oh sorry not sheep, what do you call people who vote to cut their own throats.
Not sure, but you should create a thread about it. It would probably be a hot topic to discuss.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Denmark turns on worlds largest nuclear power plant, bucking the rest of the EU. making sure that they are independent of Russia nat gas and electricity

Ph1llip

The security issue makes no sense to me unless you're in Detroit. Plus consider the beneficial cultural impact of double decker buses. Example;

'Found my upstairs and had a smoke. And somebody spoke and I went into a dream'.

Takeaways x 2: it is safe for a world famous pop star to ride the double deckers, and London is a big city with all the attendant risks.

And the most significant musical composition of the 1960's would not exist were it not for a lonely pop star who spent his lonely hours riding peacefully on these vehicles.
Bus 2.jpg

You must be joking.

Ph1llip

I hate public transportation. Occasionally, I have to park somewhere in Tampa and use trolley for short 5 minute ride but I hate the bus.
Agree. I don't use public road transportation. If you can afford a car and parking, using public transportation is the stupidest thing you can do to introduce more uncertainty in your life.

Ph1llip

You're probably right about both of us being dead before the world is free from using fossil fuels. In fact, I assume it will never be completely free from such use.
There's nothing you're doing right now or using that didn't involve the use of hydrocarbons. Hydrocarbons dragged us out of the dark ages :LOL:.

spARTacus

...You must be joking.
So you are saying Double Deckers Buses are a bigger terrorist target than other type buses, and that's the security drawback of them? Did you run your post through your linguistic analyzer before posting it?

Chuck Finley69

So you are saying Double Deckers Buses are a bigger terrorist target than other type buses, and that's the security drawback of them? Did you run your post through your linguistic analyzer before posting it?
It's the logical target vector for maximum fatalities if you're targeting vehicles with explosive devices. The iconic nature adds to psychological effects as well.

As Canada disarms itself while experiencing it's own political unrest, it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen in Toronto or Montreal for similar reasons.