Double Decker Buses

spARTacus

First the coaches are express buses and people pay a premium to ride them...
They seem as odd choice. Narrow single file asile, high floor several steps stairs for in/out, single entrance/exit. Luggage compartment that doesn't seem to be used (at least not for when they make street stop pickups and drop offs). I guess the more comfortable seats is a feature and if only for between limited express stop terminals separated by several miles of highway, then a coach bus could make some sense. However, several of them seem to be stopping also on the street just like regular transit routes.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

They seem as odd choice. Narrow single file asile, high floor several steps stairs for in/out, single entrance/exit. Luggage compartment that doesn't seem to be used (at least not for when they make street stop pickups and drop offs). I guess the more comfortable seats is a feature and if only for between limited express stop terminals separated by several miles of highway, then a coach bus could make some sense. However, several of them seem to be stopping also on the street just like regular transit routes.
People pay a large some for express service into the city, these are not over the road buses but special transit models that have to features but seats

spARTacus

People pay a large some for express service into the city, these are not over the road buses but special transit models that have to features but seats
From the outside peering in at the single staircase high floor entrance, they have the appearance of standard highway coaches, buses that look oddly out of place on the cramped Manhattan streets.

spARTacus

$42k usd (not including lic/import/etc.) for a used double decker from New Jersey. $532k for a new (semi convertible) one.

SteinwayTransitCorp

From the outside peering in at the single staircase high floor entrance, they have the appearance of standard highway coaches, buses that look oddly out of place on the cramped Manhattan streets.
They are not highway cultures, but transit coach buses. They are used strictly for premium Xpress bus service.

SteinwayTransitCorp

That was kind of my original point, in that they are somewhat wrong tools for how they are being used.
Not at all, people pay over 5 bucks each way. They demand comfort and get it. Before we sold the operation to the City, we had buses only for the express lines. These tended to be the best in the fleet.

spARTacus

Not at all, people pay over 5 bucks each way. They demand comfort and get it. Before we sold the operation to the City, we had buses only for the express lines. These tended to be the best in the fleet.
Even basic bare bones transit buses can probably be custom ordered with comfortable seats. Highway coach high floor style buses, those can't be easily modified for lower floors, for extra rear doors, for getting rid of their stairs. The MTA site says their buses are all accessible. No idea how one of those highway coaches could possibly be navigated in a wheelchair or a walker. I'd bet lot of people might like the comfortable seats but I bet lots of people also hate trying to get on and off them. I bet their onload and offload cycles are worse than double deckers.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Even basic bare bones transit buses can probably be custom ordered with comfortable seats. Highway coach high floor style buses, those can't be easily modified for lower floors, for extra rear doors, for getting rid of their stairs. The MTA site says their buses are all accessible. No idea how one of those highway coaches could possibly be navigated in a wheelchair or a walker. I'd bet lot of people might like the comfortable seats but I bet lots of people also hate trying to get on and off them. I bet their onload and offload cycles are worse than double deckers.
OK first of all General Motors made what was called a suburban coach. These were transit buses with comfortable high, backseats and racks inside. They were made for intercity, travel, or Xpress bus service. The coaches you see in Manhattan are wheelchair accessible from the back. They have been stripped of all of the over the road amenities. They only have high backseats, reading, lights and racks, that’s it. They are made explicitly For transit systems.

spARTacus

...They have been stripped of all of the over the road amenities. They only have high backseats, reading, lights and racks, that’s it. They are made explicitly For transit systems.
I guess then we might have different views about what the differences are between one of those and a typical Greyhound (for example) highway coach, because high back more comfortable seats, reading lights, racks, high floor, luggage compartments underneath, single front entrance, several stairs at front to board/off-load, dually wheels axle followed also by a second single wheeled trailing axle, etc... seems to me to exactly describe a highway coach, and also exactly describe what they are using in NYC for "transit express as you call it" purposes.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I guess then we might have different views about what the differences are between one of those and a typical Greyhound (for example) highway coach, because high back more comfortable seats, reading lights, racks, high floor, luggage compartments underneath, single front entrance, several stairs at front to board/off-load, dually wheels axle followed also by a second single wheeled trailing axle, etc... seems to me to exactly describe a highway coach, and also exactly describe what they are using in NYC for "transit express as you call it" purposes.
I do not know why you insist on things you have no knowledge of, my family has been in the transit business for well over 40 years. Please do not try to tell me why you think certain buses are being used because you really have no clue. I have tried to explain it to you, but you still insist you know some thing else. It gets tiring after a while.

spARTacus

I do not know why you insist on things you have no knowledge of, my family has been in the transit business for well over 40 years. Please do not try to tell me why you think certain buses are being used because you really have no clue. I have tried to explain it to you, but you still insist you know some thing else. It gets tiring after a while.
I've not insisted upon my knowledge over you for anything about this. Not sure why you think that. I have no clue why they are using these particular buses for transit. You are the one that has been saying they are for express transit and that they aren't really highway coaches. However, then your description of them when also matched with what I saw seems to suggest that they are basically exactly highway coaches being used for transit. That is exactly what started off this particular topic within this threat, me posting that it all appeared quite odd and wondering what was going on. If you have the answers then please provide. However, don't be surprised if I don't understand something from your explanations or if I have follow-up points or questions based on what might not make sense to me from your responses. As you say, you are the bus expert.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I've not insisted upon my knowledge over you for anything about this. Not sure why you think that. I have no clue why they are using these particular buses for transit. You are the one that has been saying they are for express transit and that they aren't really highway coaches. However, then your description of them when also matched with what I saw seems to suggest that they are basically exactly highway coaches being used for transit. That is exactly what started off this particular topic within this threat, me posting that it all appeared quite odd and wondering what was going on. If you have the answers then please provide. However, don't be surprised if I don't understand something from your explanations or if I have follow-up points or questions based on what might not make sense to me from your responses. As you say, you are the bus expert.
What ever you want this circle logic gets tiring. I am not an expert but we purchased these coaches and I know what te options are and what they are not.

spARTacus

What ever you want this circle logic gets tiring. I am not an expert but we purchased these coaches and I know what te options are and what they are not.
In other news, some alternate browsers I've tried have proven successful (for now for me anyway) with CB1 webview. So, I think its time for all/any remaining dwindling CB2 discussions to now be re-directed to the CB 1M Challenge Thread. Hey if folks are going to just shoot the shat about whatever, may as well contribute to the count, to see where it can end up (even if it never gets to 1M).

SteinwayTransitCorp

In other news, some alternate browsers I've tried have proven successful (for now for me anyway) with CB1 webview. So, I think its time for all/any remaining dwindling CB2 discussions to now be re-directed to the CB 1M Challenge Thread. Hey if folks are going to just shoot the shat about whatever, may as well contribute to the count, to see where it can end up (even if it never gets to 1M).

Facts are facts, there is not always a grey area.

Chuck Finley69

‐----------------------------------‐------------------------------
Leave CB1 to BlackBerry related topics as intended and the 1M thread isn't sufficient for all the various topics we are free to create and discuss here.

If CB2 survives great and if not, that can happen too. But let's see where it evolves or devolves to regardless.

spARTacus

Leave CB1 to BlackBerry related topics as intended and the 1M thread isn't sufficient for all the various topics we are free to create and discuss here.

If CB2 survives great and if not, that can happen too. But let's see where it evolves or devolves to regardless.
Yeah people can post wherever they want. I'm certainly not the boss.