Electric Bikes, the new fire starter.

SteinwayTransitCorp

NYC has had so for this year 15 deaths now tied directly to E bikes. Lets see bikes/autos/hover boards. Let the good times roll, well more like the fire trucks.

spARTacus

Any single death should make one wonder. 15 deaths tied to a certain thing should make people wonder a lot. All from fires with E-bikes? Overnight improper indoor battery charging issues? None of the 15 deaths from non-E related accidents/issues?

SteinwayTransitCorp

Any single death should make one wonder. 15 deaths tied to a certain thing should make people wonder a lot. All from fires with E-bikes? Overnight improper indoor battery charging issues? None of the 15 deaths from non-E related accidents/issues?
Nope all from people coming home from either work or whatever plugging in the bikes and poof we have a fire. Some housing complexes in NYC are starting to ban them from their property.

spARTacus

Nope all from people coming home from either work or whatever plugging in the bikes and poof we have a fire. Some housing complexes in NYC are starting to ban them from their property.
Seems like an opportunity that would benefit from better/more engineering, and a race to the bottom (cheapest priced, easiest/fasted to produce and to market) is going on probably resulting in models that really shouldn't be out in public.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Seems like an opportunity that would benefit from better/more engineering, and a race to the bottom (cheapest priced, easiest/fasted to produce and to market) is going on probably resulting in models that really shouldn't be out in public.
You mean like electric cars? Lmao

spARTacus

...but nothing some proper engineering and adherence to safety and good product development wouldn't solve (if we set aside the fact of course that you also don't like it because it is EV)?

SteinwayTransitCorp

...but nothing some proper engineering and adherence to safety and good product development wouldn't solve (if we set aside the fact of course that you also don't like it because it is EV)?
I could care less about it being an EV, I do care that once again good intentions and ideology overwhelm good engineering

spARTacus

I could care less about it being an EV, I do care that once again good intentions and ideology overwhelm good engineering
Seems to me that a rush to profits, and such overwhelming good engineering practices and safety standards, is the problem. Easily corrected, in my opinion. However, you'd not like the correction.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Seems to me that a rush to profits, and such overwhelming good engineering practices and safety standards, is the problem. Easily corrected, in my opinion. However, you'd not like the correction.
never assume…….I do not like something pushed for a problem that does not exist. Let’s help all people move up not just the select few…environmental racism at its best!

spARTacus

...I do not like something pushed for a problem that does not exist. Let’s help all people move up not just the select few…environmental racism at its best!
What's environmental racism or "all people" vs "select people" moving up or not, got to do with E-bikes?

In my opinion, there's massive beneficial use for bikes for getting around for lots of urban scenarios that don't quite meet the threshold of needing to use a car or bus or otherwise transit method. Amsterdam has been full of bikes for decades for reasons like that. Battery powered assisted bikes nowadays means an ability for less pedalling effort, helps older people or even healthy people get up hills or simply more easily cover longer distances faster. Engine (ICE) powered assisted ones can do that also but then things start further blurring the lines of bikes vs mopeds, motorcycles, roadway licencing regulation, etc...

SteinwayTransitCorp

Oh I didn't assume. I am quite certain you'll not like the solution to the problem you're reporting about the proliferation of E-Bike fires in NYC due to rushed production, under focus on engineering and safety, and overall primary goal of fast profit.
That you joe obvious, profit such a dirty word.

spARTacus

No I don't find profit to be a dirty word. Not sure if you think that's the solution. To me, seems like the earlier discussion suggested the strive for profit over diligence in E-Bike manufacturing/sales was part of the problem.