Electric Bikes, the new fire starter.

spARTacus

That’s not what I said, people who use them have no choice, wake-up. Btw millions are not using them, and the vast majority have to for work. Nice try no sale
I don't think that makes sense. Presumably, anyone using an EBike has at least a choice between an EBike or a normal pedal Bike, and the choice of EBike over pedal Bike is then based on things like cost vs benefit, etc. If lots of people are using them for work then there must be a benefit to them using them for work.

Where did you get millions from?

spARTacus

I would posit to you that the people who use bikes in NYC are peasants who are using them not because they like them but because they have to because they can't afford a car, a parking space or both, in NYC.

I had the very unfortunate experience a few years ago of being temporarily assigned to some dipstick in the UN and I didn't see a single diplomat using a bike, scooter or the subway. It was diplomatic plates all the way. And I have friends in Manhattan and not a single one of them uses a bike or public transport of any kind. You wouldn't want to these days anyway, your chances of getting murdered are approaching Chicago's. STCo's right, NYC's currently a dumpster fire unless you live in a tower-in-the-sky enclave like 157 or Gramercy Park.
I'll say there's probably some of truth to that, but its not like it's an absolute statement. Same about where folks are living in terms of if they are jammed into cramped places or if they can afford more spacious places. I saw lots of folks in NYC on bikes that certainly weren't peasants. It depended on where one was/is in NYC. It's all relative. If EBikes truly suck (across all factors) then their popularity over pedal bikes (for anywhere that either pedal bikes or EBikes are used) wouldn't be what it is. I also don't think NYC (Manhattan) is all dumpster fire. Sure I always wanted to watch closely for where I was and what was going on around me. And, there were places I wasn't going to go. However, overall I felt relatively safe. Certainly on way more alert than my home town, but it's not like it was a war zone (where I was).

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

I'll say there's probably some of truth to that, but its not like it's an absolute statement. Same about where folks are living in terms of if they are jammed into cramped places or if they can afford more spacious places. I saw lots of folks in NYC on bikes that certainly weren't peasants. It depended on where one was/is in NYC. It's all relative. If EBikes truly suck (across all factors) then their popularity over pedal bikes (for anywhere that either pedal bikes or EBikes are used) wouldn't be what it is. I also don't think NYC (Manhattan) is all dumpster fire. Sure I always wanted to watch closely for where I was and what was going on around me. And, there were places I wasn't going to go. However, overall I felt relatively safe. Certainly on way more alert than my home town, but it's not like it was a war zone (where I was).
Look you think what you want I grew up in nyc and today it’s a ****hole plain and simple. It’s a shame but true the city is done, either you have lots of money or not. The subways are un safe people are attacked on the street for nothing. While on 5ave a person dropped their pants took a dump, yea great city.

spARTacus

I looked into it a bit before visiting. The general opinion was that nowadays Manhattan is relatively safe, much safer than it was in the past and especially for when/if paying attention to what one is doing and what is going on around. That aligns with what I saw/experienced, both on the streets and in the subway. Sure there were lots of what I would consider weird characters and also areas that were obviously to be avoided. However, not worse than what I've also seen/experienced for parts of Vegas, for example. Perhaps an advantage of Manhattan over Vegas is simply the number of people on the streets. Get off the strip in Vegas and its easy to quickly get a feeling of weirdness, way less people around and then more opportunity to have run ins with odd folks. Didn't really feel that at all in Manhattan, from one side east/west to the other and from Midtown down to BatteryPark. Maybe all of the badness is also just easy to avoid. Saw lots of police presence, vehicles and on foot/Bike. The police presence probably helps. However, lots of police presence in Vegas also. Saw lots of streets chalked full of traffic in Manhattan, bumper to bumper barely any movement but with Bikes and EBikes speedily getting around and through all of that with ease. No wonder EBikes are so popular in NYC. Didn't see a single dumpster fire in Manhattan. Didn't actually see any fires at all, not even any from an EBike.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I looked into it a bit before visiting. The general opinion was that nowadays Manhattan is relatively safe, much safer than it was in the past and especially for when/if paying attention to what one is doing and what is going on around. That aligns with what I saw/experienced, both on the streets and in the subway. Sure there were lots of what I would consider weird characters and also areas that were obviously to be avoided. However, not worse than what I've also seen/experienced for parts of Vegas, for example. Perhaps an advantage of Manhattan over Vegas is simply the number of people on the streets. Get off the strip in Vegas and its easy to quickly get a feeling of weirdness, way less people around and then more opportunity to have run ins with odd folks. Didn't really feel that at all in Manhattan, from one side east/west to the other and from Midtown down to BatteryPark. Maybe all of the badness is also just easy to avoid. Saw lots of police presence, vehicles and on foot/Bike. The police presence probably helps. However, lots of police presence in Vegas also. Saw lots of streets chalked full of traffic in Manhattan, bumper to bumper barely any movement but with Bikes and EBikes speedily getting around and through all of that with ease. No wonder EBikes are so popular in NYC. Didn't see a single dumpster fire in Manhattan. Didn't actually see any fires at all, not even any from an EBike.
You looked into what? Come on man you are delusional crime is off the charts all over nyc period. People are afraid to take the train or walk the streets especially at night. What planet are you from?

spARTacus

Obviously on a different planet then what you're on. There were plenty of people on the streets and subway in Manhattan when I was there. Saw lots of people on the streets at night also where I was. The worse I saw for crime was a few people scamming tourists.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Obviously on a different planet then what you're on. There were plenty of people on the streets and subway in Manhattan when I was there. Saw lots of people on the streets at night also where I was. The worse I saw for crime was a few people scamming tourists.
You must be right , stats mean nothing at all. Enjoy.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Probably depends on what stats are being looked at and presented.
I hate to say this but you have issues, every day someone is attacked on the streets of nyc. stores are closing because of theft. Your answers to this are just like that idiot on tv, when people knew things are bad. He stated that he went out and everything was great. I know many people who still live in Manhattan and are afraid to take the train go out after dark, real New Yorkers.

spARTacus

I hate to say this but you have issues, every day someone is attacked on the streets of nyc. stores are closing because of theft. Your answers to this are just like that idiot on tv, when people knew things are bad. He stated that he went out and everything was great. I know many people who still live in Manhattan and are afraid to take the train go out after dark, real New Yorkers.
I've expressed my opinions and indicated about what I saw and experienced when I visited Manhattan (and I covered a lot of Manhattan from Midtown and Central Park areas then south of that), about on the streets, in the subways, Bikes/EBikes. If you want to get into a deeper debate with someone about the crime situation in NYC, debate about who is more right or more wrong for what they think and in relation to various stats and reports and such, then feel free to do so. All of that really doesn't make any difference to me. None of it changes my observations either, in that it seems obvious to me that EBikes are quite popular and beneficial in NYC.

Ph1llip

I've expressed my opinions and indicated about what I saw and experienced when I visited Manhattan (and I covered a lot of Manhattan from Midtown and Central Park areas then south of that), about on the streets, in the subways, Bikes/EBikes. If you want to get into a deeper debate with someone about the crime situation in NYC, debate about who is more right or more wrong for what they think and in relation to various stats and reports and such, then feel free to do so. All of that really doesn't make any difference to me. None of it changes my observations either, in that it seems obvious to me that EBikes are quite popular and beneficial in NYC.
As a tourist, it's very easy to have a slightly varnished view of New York. You go to the tourist or at least gentrified areas where there are lots of "normal" street folk, you go to well maintained attractions, good stores, etc. etc. This New York is very, very different from the New York that most residents experience every day.

It's the same when I visit a large Canadian city like say, Vancouver. The Vancouver I see is centered around Robson Street, Burrard, Howe and Seymour. Within this grid, Vancouver looks great. I dont go outside this grid, because I don't know the other streets very well and Vancouver, like New York, is now a dumpster fire.

All courtesy of woke, liberal policies of course. 😒

spARTacus

As a tourist, it's very easy to have a slightly varnished view of New York. You go to the tourist or at least gentrified areas where there are lots of "normal" street folk, you go to well maintained attractions, good stores, etc. etc. This New York is very, very different from the New York that most residents experience every day.

It's the same when I visit a large Canadian city like say, Vancouver. The Vancouver I see is centered around Robson Street, Burrard, Howe and Seymour. Within this grid, Vancouver looks great. I dont go outside this grid, because I don't know the other streets very well and Vancouver, like New York, is now a dumpster fire.

All courtesy of woke, liberal policies of course. 😒
I am sure I did indeed not fully experience "the real" NYC. Doesn't change what I did experience and see, and doesn't change either for EBike use/benefits for where/what I did see.

You still haven't created your seperate woke thread (whatever that means to you and for some of the labels you seem to also always want use), a safe place thread for you to go on about whatever you want for whatever you are frustrated about or frustrated at.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I am sure I did indeed not fully experience "the real" NYC. Doesn't change what I did experience and see, and doesn't change either for EBike use/benefits for where/what I did see.

You still haven't created your seperate woke thread (whatever that means to you and for some of the labels you seem to also always want use), a safe place thread for you to go on about whatever you want for whatever you are frustrated about or frustrated at.
This is not woke, you just do not like the truth, you make snap statements based on your beliefs. You refuse to see what is going on, your woke interpretation of everything shows your thought process. You always refuse anything that contradicts what you believe/want/hope. Facts never lie nor can they be changed, you just refuse to believe. Conversation closed.

BTW 35 People have been burned to death last year in nyc because of these great bikes, hey no issue you have not seen the burnt bodies so all must be ok. LMAO

Last edited:

spARTacus

This is not woke, you just do not like the truth, you make snap statements based on your beliefs. You refuse to see what is going on, your woke interpretation of everything shows your thought process. You always refuse anything that contradicts what you believe/want/hope. Facts never lie nor can they be changed, you just refuse to believe. Conversation closed.

BTW 35 People have been burned to death last year in nyc because of these great bikes, hey no issue you have not seen the burnt bodies so all must be ok. LMAO
You aren't making sense (in my opinion).

If you read the posts you should notice that I made statements based on what I observed/experienced. Where that contradicted some of what you were stating as fact, yes indeed I wasn't just accepting what you were stating. Seems to me that maybe you could have issue with the concept of when something observed/experienced doesn't align with what you believe as fact? Maybe some of what you believe as fact actually has elements of opinion or subjectivity? Maybe you should question some of what you are hearing as fact, or maybe question your source if those seemingly state things as fact but if there are actually elements of opinion or subjectivity?

As I have earlier pointed out, it is ambiguous when people periodically try to apply labels like Woke/Left/Right/Liberal/Conservative onto posters here in CB, as part of attempts to explain or substantiate something, since no one ever seems willing to also explain what they actually mean by using those labels and in context of how it applies for the posts or the discussion at hand. From that perspective, for now I am left to believe that use of those labels here in CB is basically often just name calling, nothing more than attempts to distract from the facts and discussion at hand and probably also attempts to avoid having to actually explain oneself. I look forward to facts from anyone to dispel that particular current belief I have. I would hope I am wrong.

For the EBike fires in NYC, I think it's already been stated in here that there are already plans for increased emphasis on safety standards and engineering design and production, to remove some of the wild wild west aspects of how the current free market only approach has been trying to satisfy the demand and use of so many EBikes in NYC. For the sake of those that have died or been injured in any NYC EBike fires, I sure hope no one is opposed to that.

SteinwayTransitCorp

If you read the posts you should notice that I made statements based on what I observed/experienced. Where that contradicted some of what you were stating as fact, yes indeed I wasn't just accepting what you were stating. Seems to me that maybe you could have issue with the concept of when something observed/experienced doesn't align with what you believe as fact? Maybe some of what you believe as fact actually has elements of opinion or subjectivity? Maybe you should question some of what you are hearing as fact, or maybe question your source if those seemingly state things as fact but if there are actually elements of opinion or subjectivity?

As I have earlier pointed out, it is ambiguous when people periodically try to apply labels like Woke/Left/Right/Liberal/Conservstive onto posters here in CB, as part of attempts to explain or substantiate something, since no one ever seems willing to also explain what they actually mean by using those labels and in context of how it applies for the posts or the discussion at hand. From that perspective, for now I am left to believe that use of those labels here in CB is basically often just name calling, nothing more than attempts to distract from the facts and discussion at hand and probably also attempts to avoid having to actually explain oneself. I look forward to facts from anyone to dispel that particular current belief I have. I would hope I am wrong.

For the EBike fires in NYC, I think it's already been stated in here that there are already plans for increased emphasis on safety standards and engineering design and production, to remove some of the wild wild west aspects of how the current free market only approach has been trying to satisfy the demand and use of so many EBikes in NYC. For the sake of those that have died or been injured in any NYC EBike fires, I sure hope no one is opposed to that.
Blah blah blah…………….

Attachments

• IMG_1428.jpeg
    IMG_1428.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0169.jpeg
    IMG_0169.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0022.jpeg
    IMG_0022.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1

Chuck Finley69

As I have earlier pointed out, it is ambiguous when people periodically try to apply labels like Woke/Left/Right/Liberal/Conservative onto posters here in CB, as part of attempts to explain or substantiate something, since no one ever seems willing to also explain what they actually mean by using those labels and in context of how it applies for the posts or the discussion at hand. From that perspective, for now I am left to believe that use of those labels here in CB is basically often just name calling, nothing more than attempts to distract from the facts and discussion at hand and probably also attempts to avoid having to actually explain oneself. I look forward to facts from anyone to dispel that particular current belief I have. I would hope I am wrong.

You make statements that are blind optimism hoping to see the good in all. Unfortunately, the actual statistics for NYC crime and specifically violent crime is very bad right now.