Ford and the EV problem

SteinwayTransitCorp

said Thursday that many customers in North America are no longer willing to pay a premium for an electric vehicle over an internal-combustion or hybrid alternative.

As a result, it’s postponing about $12 billion in planned spending on new EV manufacturing capacity.

Customers’ reluctance to pay extra for EVs has complicated Ford’s ambitious and expensive plans to sharply increase production of those vehicles. While Ford’s – and the industry’s – sales of EVs are growing, they aren’t growing at the pace Ford had expected.

Ford executives emphasized that the company isn’t cutting back its spending on future electric vehicle models. But it now plans to ramp up its EV manufacturing capacity, and its spending on that capacity, more gradually than previously planned.

“We’re not moving away from our second generation [EV] products,” CFO John Lawler said in a media briefing Thursday. “We are, though, looking at the pace of capacity that we’re putting in place. We are going to push out some of that investment.”

Lawler said that Ford will postpone about $12 billion in planned spending on manufacturing capacity for EVs, including a planned second battery plant at a new campus in Kentucky. But, he noted, construction of Blue Oval City – Ford’s new EV manufacturing campus in Tennessee – will continue as originally planned.

“The customer is going to decide what the volumes are,” Lawler said. “Ford is able to balance production of gas, hybrid and electric vehicles to match the speed of EV adoption in a way that others can’t.”

As part of its third-quarter earnings report, Ford said on Thursday that its electric-vehicle business unit, called Ford Model e, lost $1.3 billion on an operating basis in the period. That’s roughly double its year-ago loss, despite a 26% increase in revenue.

Through the first three quarters of 2023, Model e posted an operating loss of about $3.1 billion, on track with Ford’s previous guidance calling for a full-year operating loss of $4.5 billion for the Model e business unit.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Ph1llip

Ford currently can't scale with EV's. Their most profitable vehicle is the F150. It's been their cash cow for years. It will be years before they recoup current investment in BEV's, let alone make a profit, let alone it being their cash cow. If ever.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Ford currently can't scale with EV's. Their most profitable vehicle is the F150. It's been their cash cow for years. It will be years before they recoup current investment in BEV's, let alone make a profit, let alone it being their cash cow. If ever.
The other official people have is when you get an EV and you read the book while Ford will tell the towing capability of their electric pick up. It tells you in the book don’t tow anything you’ll kill your mileage don’t use the air-conditioning you’ll kill your mileage and try not to use the heat you’ll kill your mileage, a great selling point

spARTacus

According to some research (see site at link), most F150 owners nowadays rarely if ever use their trucks for towing, and not occasionally or frequently for hauling either. Instead, most F150 owners are using their trucks nowadays primarily for errands and transportation, and the reason they are buying F150s as opposed to minivans or SUVs is probably because of self-image.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

According to some research (see site at link), most F150 owners nowadays rarely if ever use their trucks for towing, and not occasionally or frequently for hauling either. Instead, most F150 owners are using their trucks nowadays primarily for errands and transportation, and the reason they are buying F150s as opposed to minivans or SUVs is probably because of self-image.

Goodbye…….lmfao

Ph1llip

I would respectfully disagree. The Axios report does say all that. But that's not really the point. The F150 is popular because it's just so effortless to drive. I too have a truck but I don't tow with it and the most the tray sees in terms of haulage is camping gear, luggage when I pick up visiting friends from the airport, go-bag stuff or my mother's wheelchair when I take her out. They sit high up, give you a commanding presence on the road (helpful in these days of driving scams), backcountry capability and other things. How would Axios even come to the conclusion that people are buying it for self image. I tell you who are buying cars for self image a lot, all those virtue signalling green twats in Californistan 😁. Not all of them, but a lot of them. They started in the 90's with Priuses. They're still here LOL. Meanwhile, in the real world where people actually make a living doing productive things instead of manipulating hedge fund fakery, trucks make sense. Self image is the farthest from our minds.

spARTacus

...How would Axios even come to the conclusion that people are buying it for self image...
In the information on the site, it talks about where/how they got their data and in reference to some of the studies and questionnaires and such. I don't think Axios is trying to come straight out and conclude. Rather, they seem to just present and let people conclude for themselves. I'm guessing Axios is probably not completely centre, perhaps a bit to the left. However, the information on the site seems somewhat neutrally presented. Feel free to question what Axios presents.

Last edited:

spARTacus

...I tell you who are buying cars for self image a lot, all those virtue signalling green twats in Californistan 😁. Not all of them, but a lot of them. They started in the 90's with Priuses. They're still here LOL. Meanwhile, in the real world where people actually make a living doing productive things instead of manipulating hedge fund fakery, trucks make sense. Self image is the farthest from our minds.
Hey I'm not going to disagree with you that lots of people are trying to feel better about themselves for getting EVs and such. However, pretty clear also that any criticism about such can't just ignore that lots of people who drive F150s are also doing it just to feel better about themselves.

Last edited: