GM profits hit all time high

spARTacus

I guess CrackBerry and it's Circus of Clowns serves a very important political role in how it permits for a channel of voice. Who'd have thought from that perspective it is so much more than just about tech, such a role model.

idssteve

I recall when GM enjoyed such engineering supremacy that their product reportedly cost a good 30% less than competitors to produce. They caught grief for "gouging" consumers. Yet, how much grief would they have endured for doing just that? Undercutting competitors by 30% ?? And driving Ford, Chrysler, AMC, etc from the field? Either get accused of monopolistic market abuse? Or of consumer gouging?? One thing about excuse making "losers". They surely know how to set up a "lose-lose" game. lol

Last edited:

idssteve

I guess CrackBerry and it's Circus of Clowns serves a very important political role in how it permits for a channel of voice. Who'd have thought from that perspective it is so much more than just about tech, such a role model.
idk about "clowns"? RIM was about communications. I've managed a LOT of communications "debate" within MY circles. Mostly "engineering debate" which must also include some "humanities" variables. ?? Much accomplished this past decade plus, thanks to Bold. That output has slowed, this past year, tho. Really, BIG really, MISS Bold! lol CB posts historically prove warm up over breakfast, for me. Frequently. lol

Last edited:

spARTacus

idk about "clowns"? RIM was about communications. I've managed a LOT of communications "debate" within MY circles. Mostly "engineering debate" which must also include some "humanities" variables. ?? ...
No I meant all of us Clowns here in CB2/CC and/or still on CB1, as they referred to us for the CB2/CC launch, not about RIM.

idssteve

No I meant all of us Clowns here in CB2/CC and/or still on CB1, as they referred to us for the CB2/CC launch, not about RIM.
Hmm... my point was that as a collection of communication device enthusiasts, little surprise we'd find ourselves communicating?

As a motorcycle enthusiast, I sometimes "just ride". For the love of it. Destination unscheduled. (time permitting lol) (a personality type "thang"?). As a Bold enthusiast, I sometimes "just type". For the love of it. "Destination unscheduled". Lol. It's a Bold "thang". Few beyond this community (and my tiny circles) would understand. Heehee...

CBK derived his famous term for a reason? We have a "rehab... " forum for a reason? Lol.

Last edited:

spARTacus

Here's an article with a picture of a GM EV truck, and a mention about GM cold weather testing.
Nothing new mentioned that hasn't already been discussed in these threads here on CB2 and CB1. The pictorial/chart included is ok for some reference, but in my opinion examining "cold conditions" in terms of a -7C to -1C range isn't tough enough testing. Gotta test under way colder than that.

idssteve

Here's an article with a picture of a GM EV truck, and a mention about GM cold weather testing.
Nothing new mentioned that hasn't already been discussed in these threads here on CB2 and CB1. The pictorial/chart included is ok for some reference, but in my opinion examining "cold conditions" in terms of a -7C to -1C range isn't tough enough testing. Gotta test under way colder than that.
Yeah, about salt melt home made ice cream temps? Lol. Li chemistries just aren't up to the desired task... Yet. Imo. Toyota clearly favors NiMh for northern hybrid markets? A war of chemistries impends. Imo. Stay tuned?

spARTacus

Yeah, about salt melt home made ice cream temps? Lol. Li chemistries just aren't up to the desired task... Yet. Imo. Toyota clearly favors NiMh for northern hybrid markets? A war of chemistries impends. Imo. Stay tuned?
The GM cold winter testing site (loosely discussed in the news article) is in an ok location for colder temperatures. I presume that GM does indeed test at suitable colder temperatures, but they (and other manufacturers) would rather not yet focus on those results for impact to EV range/batteries, etc.... The fact that CBC was only able to find/assemble a table/pictorial for at much higher temperatures (barely cold by most of Canadian winter standards), is probably representative of those sorts of facts for marketing or PR, that the EV industry would currently prefer things to bound by.

idssteve

The GM cold winter testing site (loosely discussed in the news article) is in an ok location for colder temperatures. I presume that GM does indeed test at suitable colder temperatures, but they (and other manufacturers) would rather not yet focus on those results for impact to EV range/batteries, etc.... The fact that CBC was only able to find/assemble a table/pictorial for at much higher temperatures (barely cold by most of Canadian winter standards), is probably representative of those sorts of facts for marketing or PR, that the EV industry would currently prefer things to bound by.
Nothing new about human behaviour regulation thru information manipulation. It's what PR types do. Including politicians? Lol. Coaxing lithium ions to behave CAN be done. WithOUT information manipulation! Re Ingenuity on Mars? Collaborating lithium behavior with human behavior proves an enduring challenge. Imo. MUCH exciting activity there and alternatives. Li chemistries will remain a useful goto for a LOoooong time. For a great many use cases. Displacing liquid fuel for ALL use cases hasnt YET happened. Imo. Fwiw. Lol.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Nothing new about human behaviour regulation thru information manipulation. It's what PR types do. Including politicians? Lol. Coaxing lithium ions to behave CAN be done. WithOUT information manipulation! Re Ingenuity on Mars? Collaborating lithium behavior with human behavior proves an enduring challenge. Imo. MUCH exciting activity there and alternatives. Li chemistries will remain a useful goto for a LOoooong time. For a great many use cases. Displacing liquid fuel for ALL use cases hasnt YET happened. Imo. Fwiw. Lol.
You did miss one point, the batteries do bur really well..........LMAO I love the smell of a burning Tesla in the morning.

idssteve

You did miss one point, the batteries do bur really well..........LMAO I love the smell of a burning Tesla in the morning.
Lol... Still contemplating chemistries for my home built EVF350. Li is pretty low on list. Swappable config permits ready upgrade as chemistry improvements sort out.

Regardless, charging EV, or frying eggs, with coal or oil fired electricity makes ZERO carbon sense! Imo.

idssteve

As long as it's not yours 🤪
Idk, I've owned vehicles I wouldn't have peed on if they would've caught fire. Lol. Darned 67 Yamaha 305 Big Bear was one. Seven (yes 7 !!) designs for ignition points that model year! 68 "enjoyed" twice that! Yamaha dealer just handed me 6 possibilities to compare and try parked out on the sidewalk. 7th possibility was not available. Loll. A then five year old machine! Lol Never EVER found the right Mikuni float valves. Attempted lapping them. Cylinder flooded out, smell gas, pull over, kill engine, shut off fuel cock, watch gas steam off of hot engine... From safe distance... !!

That dealer, to his credit, did his best. Yamaha, to their credit, has produced some fine products. THAT vehicle was NOT among them. Lol

EDIT: coworker read and suggested a cautionary disclaimer... Never EVER pee on a burning vehicle containing a 400+V battery!!

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Idk, I've owned vehicles I wouldn't have peed on if they would've caught fire. Lol. Darned 67 Yamaha 305 Big Bear was one. Seven (yes 7 !!) designs for ignition points that model year! 68 "enjoyed" twice that! Yamaha dealer just handed me 6 possibilities to compare and try parked out on the sidewalk. 7th possibility was not available. Loll. A then five year old machine! Lol Never EVER found the right Mikuni float valves. Attempted lapping them. Cylinder flooded out, smell gas, pull over, kill engine, shut off fuel cock, watch gas steam off of hot engine... From safe distance... !!

That dealer, to his credit, did his best. Yamaha, to their credit, has produced some fine products. THAT vehicle was NOT among them. Lol

EDIT: coworker read and suggested a cautionary disclaimer... Never EVER pee on a burning vehicle containing a 400+V battery!!
Is that like; “never spit into the wind, never eat yellow snow and never ever fart in a smart car!”F1A58F62-D5DB-453B-B3E6-522E20662BDC.jpeg

idssteve

Is that like; “never spit into the wind, never eat yellow snow and never ever fart in a smart car!”View attachment 112
Effective method for increasing space... lol

I still marvel at predominant "spray and pray" firefighting strategy onto a live 400+Volt source. Great efforts typically mitigate shock hazard of 800A, 480V MCC for example. Water and electricity CAN prove risky, imo.