Going on a Trip??

Yamahammer

Of course taking an extended trip with an EV is very much different right now than driving an ICE vehicle! Anybody that dares to try drive an EV until the battery charge is nearly depleted and go against trip planning advice will eventually find themselves on the side of the road waiting for a tow, or if they make it to a charging station by chance in such a drained state the battery will take much longer to charge. As more chargers become available things will change a bit but the process will generally remain the same, fully depleting a battery currently is never recommended.

So trip planning, while still very important even with an ICE, is much more important for many reasons relative to todays battery tech and it's limitations. Here's a link to a route planner, that you can enter your own choice of vehicle and different factors to take a look at what a long trip in an EV generally looks like. Keep in mind that extreme temperatures either high or low definitely have an effect on the battery! Here you go...

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/classic/

Last edited:

Yamahammer

If anybody has experience with long trips in an EV, it would be great to hear from you! Details you supply should include the route, number of charges taken and weather conditions (generally!) More details provided would give us a better perspective!

SteinwayTransitCorp

I went on 2 long trips, until the battery range/cold weather/hot weather is addressed these things are just expensive golf carts. I have 8 pages of what not to do in cold/hot weather to try to have the battery range not Affected. I do like my car, but I would have not bought one. Also a product that requires you to plug it in all the time in cold weather in a non starter. Most people do not have that abiliTy. There is a great article in the WSJ yesterday why this movement into EV’s is being pushed way to fast and green energy the same thing and why we need cheap fossil fuel for the next 30 to 40 years.

Chuck Finley69

I'm down to 4 ICE vehicles and 4 drivers. Each vehicle averages 20K miles per year but that's going back to a more usual 25K per year per vehicle.

People don't really drive the average but are are more likely higher or lower, own more vehicles than drivers etc. It's similar to mobile phones and mobile phones lines in USA, we have more than one per user and still increasing.

Yamahammer

I'm down to 4 ICE vehicles and 4 drivers. Each vehicle averages 20K miles per year but that's going back to a more usual 25K per year per vehicle.

People don't really drive the average but are are more likely higher or lower, own more vehicles than drivers etc. It's similar to mobile phones and mobile phones lines in USA, we have more than one per user and still increasing.
So your family does 30% more than the average of 15,000 miles a year. Level 2 charger would be an option to look at.

Chuck Finley69

So your family does 30% more than the average of 15,000 miles a year. Level 2 charger would be an option to look at.
Not sure how charging four (4) EVs overnight would look. Right now EVs are similar to mobile phones in the 90s for cost and efficiency.

If the actual technology solutions were available from an infrastructure standpoint, we're only 20 years away from implementation.

For national defense purposes, we should mirror, the BRIC nations and their current policies. Seems best since if 1/2 the planet is doing a certain way, it's obviously the best.

Yamahammer

Not sure how charging four (4) EVs overnight would look. Right now EVs are similar to mobile phones in the 90s for cost and efficiency.

If the actual technology solutions were available from an infrastructure standpoint, we're only 20 years away from implementation.

For national defense purposes, we should mirror, the BRIC nations and their current policies. Seems best since if 1/2 the planet is doing a certain way, it's obviously the best.
So each your fleet of 4 vehicles averages 56 miles per day. Level 2 charge every 3rd day, maybe even 4th day. I'm sure that somehow you guys could figure out how to share a charger.

Chuck Finley69

But we're not all driving consistently each day and same every day. That's problem with using averages. It's like the old family stereotype of 2.5 kids which isn't possible. We'll be there in maybe 20 years or so as society if we're lucky but that's not really possible with current USA infrastructure. We'll probably become more like the BRIC nations first.

Yamahammer

But we're not all driving consistently each day and same every day. That's problem with using averages. It's like the old family stereotype of 2.5 kids which isn't possible. We'll be there in maybe 20 years or so as society if we're lucky but that's not really possible with current USA infrastructure. We'll probably become more like the BRIC nations first.
Well then you are incompatible with this thread.

SteinwayTransitCorp

So that we are all on the same page to start with, let's start with what is the average number of miles driven in the USA per year. Canadians drive a little bit less.

The average number is always deceiving most people drive short trips but go on 500 or more miles on a weekend. Two and most important people always like to brag about how this new car is costing me nothing. The government is paying me basically to drive. News flash your taxes will continue to go up because that free money comes from somewhere and that somewhere is running out of free money.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Well then you are incompatible with this thread.
He is not incompatible with the thread he is voicing his opinion, that you do not like. Facts are a terrible thing they are what they are; the fact is ICE machines are going nowhere fast, and electric cars are not the future. you will reply with the government answer but the worlds largest car company said it best. ‘ we are not on,y going to build electric cars or trucks, we will give the public what they want not what the government wants them to want” Toyota. The people who are pushing this are all sucking at the government teat. Take that away and let’s see how it goes then, it’s time for the free money to stop and the free market to take over.

Chuck Finley69

Now, some countries are bringing coal online for emergency power.

In other news, the other 1/2 the planet including the BRIC nations happily using coal and they're LOL'ing at the so called smart people

durendal

I don't own an EV but is certainly thinking about owning one. But then, this topic made me think that it might not be feasible for me to drive an EV for long trips, especially since charging stations are as rare as unicorns in our area. There are pros and cons for me to buying an EV, and the only pros I see is that it emits less polution. However, I also live in a country which is powered mostly by coal power plants. So if I use an EV and charge it, I'll still be indirectly contributing to smoke emission since the source of electricity is from coal power plants. Not to mention our cost/KWh is one of the highest in the world.

I think ICE still has a few decades to go before they are completely phased out. For one, current battery technology is still not that great. I've read that there is still a significant battery degredation annually in existing EV's, so that's not something that would inspire confidence. Comparing the distance a current EV and an ICE can cover today, and then compare it 10 years after, what would that look like?

SteinwayTransitCorp

I don't own an EV but is certainly thinking about owning one. But then, this topic made me think that it might not be feasible for me to drive an EV for long trips, especially since charging stations are as rare as unicorns in our area. There are pros and cons for me to buying an EV, and the only pros I see is that it emits less polution. However, I also live in a country which is powered mostly by coal power plants. So if I use an EV and charge it, I'll still be indirectly contributing to smoke emission since the source of electricity is from coal power plants. Not to mention our cost/KWh is one of the highest in the world.

I think ICE still has a few decades to go before they are completely phased out. For one, current battery technology is still not that great. I've read that there is still a significant battery degredation annually in existing EV's, so that's not something that would inspire confidence. Comparing the distance a current EV and an ICE can cover today, and then compare it 10 years after, what would that look like?
You are spot on on your opinion, I have an easy, and I drove it from Florida to New York. It was a problem driving because of charging and charging times. Also, how’s the weather gonna call the range went down. I just believe at the moment they are not ready for prime time.