HP41C, a giant leap for mobile "Turing Completeness"...

SteinwayTransitCorp

I find engineering today is more for engineering than any real improvement, just another way of justifying a price increase. Look no further than todays cars, tons of technology that few people use and the ones that do complain about it. Engineering used to be for the greater good……no more.

idssteve

Most things today are about marketing and selling, not really about engineering.
Marketing and selling have always been part of engineering. Abject incompetence seems something recent. Imo. Or, most precisely, self congratulatory incompetence? These "kids" seem to derive some sort of sick pride in knowing NOthing. Imo. Grrrrrr.

My M. E. Dept head wore bibs. Loaded with calipers, slide rules, rules, pencils etc.. He routinely observed that REAL engineers get DIRTY! We shower before AND after work.
He conducted a 1hr credit intro 101 class first thing Mondays. For incoming freshmen. Typically first day, he tell a story....

... a preacher, a drunkard and an engineer were waiting turns at a guillotine. Asked if prefered face up, or face down, the preacher proclaimed he want to go face up. Facing Our Lord! Laid him down. Pulled trigger. Blade halted mid way.. Considered a miracle, the preacher was freed to live.

The drunkard then figured it worked for the preacher... and chose face up. Likewise blade halted part way and drunkard was also set free to live.

Engineer seeing this chose likewise. Laid him down. Prepared to trip the trigger. Engineer points and says "i see your problem...". lol.

Sometimes timing matters. Lol..

spARTacus

Marketing and selling have always been part of engineering...
Not the type of marketing, sales (and project management) going on nowadays. Nowadays thorough engineering and technical management gets pushed aside. Not enough time or priority in comparison to needing to ASAP get out the next release, the next gadget, the next upgrade version, or at certain low price points. Minimums to reduce liability likelihood below sales impacting embarrassment or law suits seem to barely be done.

Ph1llip

Not the type of marketing, sales (and project management) going on nowadays. Nowadays thorough engineering and technical management gets pushed aside. Not enough time or priority in comparison to needing to ASAP get out the next release, the next gadget, the next upgrade version, or at certain low price points. Minimums to reduce liability likelihood below sales impacting embarrassment or law suits seem to barely be done.
I agree. Engineering is a science, it's completely separate to "marketing and sales" which are not a science.

Market research may determine what product features are likely to result in more sales, but an engineer that builds products for sales does so within their brief, which includes budgetary considerations. An engineer designs and builds something within the constraints of what they are given. It may be cost, functionality, durability etc. The fact that the outcome might be cheap, functionally poor or even dangerous (in the case of batteries) is irrelevant to the science of Engineering.

To quote one of my favorite sayings, "Good and Fast will not be cheap, Good and Cheap will not be fast and Fast and Cheap will not be good".

idssteve

A prof was fond of setting a waterpump from a Rolls on table beside one from SB Chevy. He'd ask the class which is "harder" to engineer...

The Chevy waterpump demanded FAR greater engineering resources than the Rolls. Primarily because price variable commands much greater priority for Chevy customers than for Rolls' clientele. Lol

Never got him to admit where or how he got that Rolls part. Lol.

SteinwayTransitCorp

A prof was fond of setting a waterpump from a Rolls on table beside one from SB Chevy. He'd ask the class which is "harder" to engineer...

The Chevy waterpump demanded FAR greater engineering resources than the Rolls. Primarily because price variable commands much greater priority for Chevy customers than for Rolls' clientele. Lol

Never got him to admit where or how he got that Rolls part. Lol.
My answer would have been……who me…..and nope never convicted……lmao

idssteve

My wife still uses her “original’ and I have my original one as well.
Lol. "=" keys drive me nuts!! Lol

Greatest thing in early days, profs might permit calculator sharing. IF you held it up and showed prof or assistant power was off. Which cleared everything in those volatile ram days. Lol.

Without fail, anyone who borrowed my HP eventually asked where the "=" key was... Standard reply was that the factory forgot and I got a great deal on it... NO one asked to borrow my HP before long. Lol

Some of us continued regular slide rule races well into calculator days.. Only HP MIGHT challenge a good slide rule operator. Maybe.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Lol. "=" keys drive me nuts!! Lol

Greatest thing in early days, profs might permit calculator sharing. IF you held it up and showed prof or assistant power was off. Which cleared everything in those volatile ram days. Lol.

Without fail, anyone who borrowed my HP eventually asked where the "=" key was... Standard reply was that the factory forgot and I got a great deal on it... NO one asked to borrow my HP before long. Lol

Some of us continued regular slide rule races well into calculator days.. Only HP MIGHT challenge a good slide rule operator. Maybe.
Well you forget, these tools need some brains………long before the idiot proof crowd took over…lmao

I had a Texas Instruments programmable in 1st year. Its limitations meant it was two steps short of programming the quadratic equation. Useless, basically.

idssteve

I had a Texas Instruments programmable in 1st year. Its limitations meant it was two steps short of programming the quadratic equation. Useless, basically.
Ti made some capable stuff. My old Ti59 certainly suffered little trouble with quadratics. I liked its thermal printer mostly.. Along with tape drive.. Of course HP41 does printers, tape drives, card reader, bar code wand, 4-20ma PID, etc, etc. AND i could do quadratics via RPN quicker than via programming. Unless the quadratic is part of a bigger solve. Lol.

Transmitted my first alphanumeric msg via rs232 from HP41. 1979? Lol.

Last edited:
Ti made some capable stuff. My old Ti59 certainly suffered little trouble with quadratics. I liked its thermal printer mostly.. Along with tape drive.. Of course HP41 does printers, tape drives, card reader, bar code wand, 4-20ma PID, etc, etc. AND i could do quadratics via RPN quicker than via programming. Unless the quadratic is part of a bigger solve. Lol.

Transmitted my first alphanumeric msg via rs232 from HP41. 1979? Lol.
Well, I wasn't happy, had to memorize the damn thing.

idssteve

Well, I wasn't happy, had to memorize the damn thing.
Especially if it was sold as a "Scientific" calculator. Wont get much "science" done without quadratics. Lol.

Some things are worth memorizing. Never regretted anything i ever learned. Might resent HAVING to learn but... Once stuffed in there, never noticed much neck muscle strain from supporting the added weight... lol.

idssteve

Hey I still use a slide rule……… to the amazement of the younger crowd.
8th grade shop teacher had us make our own. Made my own ever since. Fabbed up a dozen blank slides about 30 yrs ago. TFT coated stainless. Laser and EDM CNC now preprogrammed for various "impossibles" verniers. Lol.

My proudest? Prandtl # !! Derived thru Graphical Kinematics on CAD. Made up two extra as gifts to two "rocket scientisists" friends during my NASA days. Simplifies a LOT of intermediate messiness with deriving HP41 programs. Lol

Still use my old drawing machine for certain clients. Even for some Graphical Kinematics for those non-electronic clients. They've suffered ip theft. Guess by who? Only a camera over my shoulder can steal vernier results! Lol.

CAD can make graphical Kinematics VERY precise, tho. Do engineering schools still teach Graphical Solutions? NO recent interviews have a clue. Ug.

btw, that's a slide rule in my avatar. Fabbed from Canadian Hard Maple. NOT "flamed". Precision demands tight humidity and temperature. Used to fab violin and guitar necks. In a previous life. Lol.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

8th grade shop teacher had us make our own. Made my own ever since. Fabbed up a dozen blank slides about 30 yrs ago. TFT coated stainless. Laser and EDM CNC now preprogrammed for various "impossibles" verniers. Lol.

My proudest? Prandtl # !! Derived thru Graphical Kinematics on CAD. Made up two extra as gifts to two "rocket scientisists" friends during my NASA days. Simplifies a LOT of intermediate messiness with deriving HP41 programs. Lol

Still use my old drawing machine for certain clients. Even for some Graphical Kinematics for those non-electronic clients. They've suffered ip theft. Guess by who? Only a camera over my shoulder can steal vernier results! Lol.

CAD can make graphical Kinematics VERY precise, tho. Do engineering schools still teach Graphical Solutions? NO recent interviews have a clue. Ug.

btw, that's a slide rule in my avatar. Fabbed from Canadian Hard Maple. NOT "flamed". Precision demands tight humidity and temperature. Used to fab violin and guitar necks. In a previous life. Lol.
Yes it is…………