Peloton Row is too expensive - any other suggestions?

Khonshu

Peloton recently introduced the Row, which honestly looks amazing and would be a great way to kick off my fitness goals for the new year. However, it's also helllla expensive coming in at $3,195 plus the $12.99/mnth Membership fee. Considering a rowing machine is where I want to start is there anything else out there that's comparable and hopefully a bit cheaper that I should be looking at? Anyone have a machine they absolutely love?

Kevin Michaluk

Ohhhh.... great question and I've gone down this rabbit hole of building a home gym and optimizing it for both weights / cardio equipment that delivery max utility, variety and enjoyment in a given space.

The first question to think about is whether you really want a rower. Assuming you do, I'd also consider the following models that will be cheaper:
  • Concept2 Rower - This is probably the "best" rower for fitness and what I find in most good gyms or what personal trainers will want you to use or what athletes train with. It uses wind power to create resistance, and you can quickly/easily adjust the resistance settings (angles the fan blades differently). These are smooth functioning, and you can sprint/push hard on them. The computer on this is basic, so you're not going to have the coaching/entertainment of the Peloton Rower (or the monthly fees). But if you have a tv or iPad in the room there's other apps you can use for that if you need that motivation.
  • WaterRower - This is the original water rower that looks SOOOO GOOD in any room. It's fitness and art. It stands up nicely when not in use. This is for people who like the feel of rowing. It's less a pure fitness/workout like the Concept2 but is more of a nice notion as the resistance is created by spinning water (that makes a nice sound too). The issue is, if you want to change the resistance, you have to adjust the volume of water in the thank which is a pain in the butt. So this is less of a hardcore workout experience and more of a pleasant daily activity. Still a great workout, but more of an experiential rowing experience.
  • Hydrow - This is basically the machine that Peloton is taking on with their new Rower. Check it out and you'll see what I mean. I haven't used one of these yet but know some people who have them and they do love them. They are less expensive that the Peloton.
I have yet to pull the trigger on buying a rower because honestly, between the options above and now the Peloton it's a tough choice. I sort of want my wife to try all of them to see which she would use too. Aesthetics-wise for a home gym it's all about the WaterRower for that old school CrackBerry cool.

The other reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a rower yet is because I feel I have the optimal setup for a home gym for cardio without having a rower and that's the combo of a treadmill, AirDyne-style bike, and then jump rope.

I don't need to explain a treadmill or jumping rope much (though for jump rope I'd recommend CrossRopes where you can vary the resistance based on the ropes getting heavier), but the AirDyne style bike takes some explanation.

My air bike is an Octane Fitness AirDyne ADX (these used to be made by Schwinn but I think they sold it to Octane now). Vs. a regular exercise bike, the resistance comes from air, so as you pedal faster the intensity increases, and have arms that move so you can pedal with your arms and legs (or just arms and legs). The Rogue Echo and Assault Bike are also popular versions of this air style bike (have used them all and love my ADX most).

If you want to blast your body with an exercise that drains you fast and makes you stronger, these air bikes are the best. Whatever energy you can put into it, it'll suck out of you and it's pretty easy on your body. If you've never used one, it's worth trying one.

The problem I have with rowing (for me) is that I find the motion over time really tightens up your lower back and hamstrings. So if you're a person who works at the computer a lot as it is and doesn't stretch enough, the rowing machine is tightening me up that much more. If I do a lot of rowing, stretching to stay loose becomes a full time job. In comparison, somehow my mixed cardio routine of AirDyne, jump rope and treadmill (mixing up long runs, recovery runs and sprint style workouts) keeps me loose with minimal stretching and entertained. I still want a rower at some point... but given my other mix of stuff don't feel I need it.

And if you don't jump rope, get a jump rope!! Cheap, travel friendly, and it's the most fun.

Hope that was helpful. Love to know what you end up getting!!

Khonshu

If you want to blast your body with an exercise that drains you fast and makes you stronger, these air bikes are the best. Whatever energy you can put into it, it'll suck out of you and it's pretty easy on your body. If you've never used one, it's worth trying one.

The problem I have with rowing (for me) is that I find the motion over time really tightens up your lower back and hamstrings. So if you're a person who works at the computer a lot as it is and doesn't stretch enough, the rowing machine is tightening me up that much more.
Ahhh yes, this right here is valuable information. Looks like I have some further research and testing of equipment to do. Many thanks for the insight!

Emaderton3

Peloton recently introduced the Row, which honestly looks amazing and would be a great way to kick off my fitness goals for the new year. However, it's also helllla expensive coming in at $3,195 plus the $12.99/mnth Membership fee. Considering a rowing machine is where I want to start is there anything else out there that's comparable and hopefully a bit cheaper that I should be looking at? Anyone have a machine they absolutely love?
You could always buy a cheaper machine and still follow the workout on the Peleton app if syncing and tracking are not important to you. My wife uses the bike workouts on the Peleton app but with a non-Peleton bike.