Slow EV Supply Chain

SteinwayTransitCorp

Probably indeed (less capacity/range drop when operating an EV in Toronto during winter than in comparison to Winnipeg).

However, Toronto (and maybe let's say also Montreal) might be perfect places in Canada to consider as examples for the discussion about winter temperatures, EV operations and ICE block heaters. That is, cold enough to require EVs to be extensively plugged in but not so cold to have previously resulted in extensive ICE block heater use, practises and infrastructure.
His response always is more details, very simple people ( most people) will not be able to plug in all night to keep the batteries warm. Also where does he think all this electricity is going to come from at night? This is part of the elitist part of the EV world. Just like masks see I am better than you I care.

SteinwayTransitCorp

So if that is a 2 day trip at 80 miles per hour for 30 hours you have used 12% of your yearly average of 20,000.
There is no real average, why do you try to put everyone in the same basket. Now that I am retired we take 2-3 thousand mile trips every few weeks. Driving across the US is fantastic and this is what freedom looks like.

spARTacus

Thanks for the input. So prior to Covid you were driving twice the average of normal Canadians and that was just for work. So a typical EV in 2022 that has a range of approx 400km would therefore present no challenge getting to and from work in your case even if the battery lost 50% of it's charge at -30C. Level 1 charging would go out the window in your case of course but note your previous daily commute to work is 3 days of driving for an average Canadian,

As far as your infrequent need to go further afield I suggest that you try the route planner as was provided in the Going on a Trip thread. Chose a vehicle, input your home coordinates and destination and see what the route planner comes up with. Don't lose sight that you are able to change the desired charging level so as to simulate cold weather driving.
Yes, as I mentioned I think we could indeed probably figure out how to make an EV work for the commute purposes of why we have the smaller ICE. However, that would result in significant loss of flexibility for some of the other uses we also periodically enjoy for that ICE. Overall, an EV is not in the cards for us. Our situation is not meant to imply EVs won't/don't work for others. If we are lucky, factors will have significantly evolved several years from now when our smaller ICE needs to be replaced.

spARTacus

My friend has one, it’s a scary car it’s so fast. But he still loves his ICE. mustang for the vrooom factor.
If vrooom is what folks are looking for, maybe the upcoming EV Charger would be interesting. Not for me, but apparently lots of folks are watching the space closely to see what finally comes out for it.

idssteve

My friend has one, it’s a scary car it’s so fast. But he still loves his ICE. mustang for the vrooom factor.
Ha! SCARY was a HS friend who'd shoe horned a built up 426 Hemi into his mid sixties slant six "Cuda" wannabe. He finally got that thing geared to bury the 120 speedo straight down. No clue how fast. Still into low 11s at the strip. NO head rests! lol. Possibly THE most scared i'd ever sweated in a vehicle was when his cheap used non-speed rated bias front tires got into "the death shake". Where deformation doesn't recover by next revolution! His mitigation? Slow down till it smoothed out and re-try... !!! Threatened physical violence if he didn't let me out NOW! He slowed down to sane and soon got some speed rated tires on the phreeking thing. Never rode with him again. He passed of stomach cancer a few years later. ug.

At least "modern hot rods" enjoy better access to safer tires! lol

Last edited:

idssteve

Competitive fast speeds and endurance, like an EV 24 Hours of Le Mans?
YES! SOooo much we take for granted originated on the track. 24 hrs would certainly provide opportunity to develop swappable batt config, at least. lol Might make for much faster fuel pits than liquid fuel?

SteinwayTransitCorp

YES! SOooo much we take for granted originated on the track. 24 hrs would certainly provide opportunity to develop swappable batt config, at least. lol Might make for much faster fuel pits than liquid fuel?
I say voooorooom let’s do it, lots of batteries booze and guys……..what could go wrong? LMAO

idssteve

I say voooorooom let’s do it, lots of batteries booze and guys……..what could go wrong? LMAO
I'm game! At least a couple gals i know are chomping ready also! Booze hasta remain spectator only tho. Something about handling 800+V batteries might not prove any more booze friendly than 200+mph? lol

One coworker wears this "Reddy Kilowatt" sticker on his hardhat. Maybe team logo? Probably ip hurdles on that. lolst,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

I'm game! At least a couple gals i know are chomping ready also! Booze hasta remain spectator only tho. Something about handling 800+V batteries might not prove any more booze friendly than 200+mph? lol

One coworker wears this "Reddy Kilowatt" sticker on his hardhat. Maybe team logo? Probably ip hurdles on that. lolView attachment 25

Attachments

• 37782245-675E-48F2-B2B0-CED907D68288.jpeg
    37782245-675E-48F2-B2B0-CED907D68288.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 5

SteinwayTransitCorp

Invest in Canada! End to end battery supply in the EV industry.

A strong link in a weak chain is still weak. There is a great article in the Wall Street Journal why this is all going to come crashing down, because it is not financially sustainable.

Last edited:

Justgeeee

I really thought cars could be powered by solar panels. Is it just not feasible because of again... supplies and regional capabilities and I guess weight?

Yamahammer

I really thought cars could be powered by solar panels. Is it just not feasible because of again... supplies and regional capabilities and I guess weight?
I don't see that as being feasible given that the sun only shines for half the day🤔. Where the solar panels come into play is for charging purposes such as using them to charge batteries at a setup at home that then could be converted back to charging your EV. Also there is the use of solar panels commercially by the suppliers of your electric power to store energy from the sun and provide it to you emission free.

But there are some interesting Solar EV races for the experimental university crowd.

Last edited: