Switzerland considers restrictions on EV use this winter

Ph1llip

EV Ban CH.JPG

Besides the restrictions being considered, I suppose the wider question is why Europe is once again appeasing a despot leading to hardships like the above.

I think I'll stick to my ICE pickup and SUV for now as clearly, the infrastructure for the smooth functioning of mass EV usage isn't ready for prime time, anywhere.

Even Californistan, the state with the widest adoption of EV's in the US, can't get it right.

Justgeeee

Its always damned if you do damned if you don't. This is why we kept an ICE vehicle instead of going all in with 2 EVs. Despite the charging issue, my big gripe with EVs is still how hard it is to get parts. Things like this just make manufactures second think their big plans to rid their fleets of ICE vehicles.

Attachments

• this_is_fine.jpg
    this_is_fine.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1

Ph1llip

Is it just me, or maybe something didn't property load in my browser, but was that not a very poorly written article?
In what way though?

Switzerland is only considering measures, they haven't put them into effect. No point in reporting fake news like everyone else is doing (e.g. CNN, NBC, etc.).

Ph1llip

Its always damned if you do damned if you don't. This is why we kept an ICE vehicle instead of going all in with 2 EVs. Despite the charging issue, my big gripe with EVs is still how hard it is to get parts. Things like this just make manufactures second think their big plans to rid their fleets of ICE vehicles.

EV's are a fantastic option for only one use case at the moment, which is metropolitan driving. If they weren't so damn expensive, I would have bought one months ago for exactly this purpose.

Everything else is unfortunately not yet ready for prime time. That's a) Performance Driving b) Long Distance Driving c) Haulage.

spARTacus

In what way though?...
This part of it was poorly written, in my opinion.

"...The reason Switzerland is preparing for possible blackouts is that the country relies on imported energy during the summer months. While more than half, or 60 percent of the country’s energy comes from hydropowered means, but in the winter months productions slows and the country relies on imports..."

From those words, what is the reason? Summer imports or less hydro production in winter months and winter imports? Or, maybe both?

I get it that energy in general all across Europe has been impacted by the situation with Russia/Ukraine, and the article does go on to talk about that (and that is the actual reason).

However, when an article is discussing something and says "...the reason is...", well then it's just very sloppy (in my opinion) if those "reason" sentences and wordings aren't perfectly structured and logical. Without such having been very closely reviewed by the authors/editors, credibility of the entire article can become questionable (in my opinion).

Maybe the article was bot generated, in which case it would be even less credible (in my opinion), regardless of what it discusses or covers.

SteinwayTransitCorp

"...The reason Switzerland is preparing for possible blackouts is that the country relies on imported energy during the summer months. While more than half, or 60 percent of the country’s energy comes from hydropowered means, but in the winter months productions slows and the country relies on imports..."

From those words, what is the reason? Summer imports or less hydro production in winter months and winter imports? Or, maybe both?

I get it that energy in general all across Europe has been impacted by the situation with Russia/Ukraine, and the article does go on to talk about that (and that is the actual reason).

However, when an article is discussing something and says "...the reason is...", well then it's just very sloppy (in my opinion) if those "reason" sentences and wordings aren't perfectly structured and logical. Without such having been very closely reviewed by the authors/editors, credibility of the entire article can become questionable (in my opinion).

Maybe the article was bot generated, in which case it would be even less credible (in my opinion), regardless of what it discusses or covers.
The reason is Europe shut down most of its home grown energy. Thanks to the Germans Russia became the go to country for fuel. The United Staes and Canada need to wake up and take stock on what is happening oversea. The green energy push is not ready for prime time.

Ph1llip

It's just a typo...the correct wording should be "the country relies on imported energy during the WINTER months...". This is easily understood from the accompanying sentences, all of which use the word "winter".

It's not "bot" generated. The journalist's attribution is right underneath the title.

You're being pedantic and are wearing too much tin foil :p

SteinwayTransitCorp

It's just a typo...the correct wording should be "the country relies on imported energy during the WINTER months...". This is easily understood from the accompanying sentences, all of which use the word "winter".

It's not "bot" generated. The journalist's attribution is right underneath the title.

Tin foil you say…….

Attachments

• E0521004-7D3F-4B65-BD13-E1AE2EFF358A.gif
    E0521004-7D3F-4B65-BD13-E1AE2EFF358A.gif
    419.9 KB · Views: 4

spARTacus

I think you're correct about the typo thing. I never saw that possibility until you now pointed it out. Cognitive bias I guess (not tin foil). Yes, at times I do pay attention to detail and then focus on such. They probably should have payed more attention to detail. In terms of bots vs real people writing articles, I don't think a listed attribution necessary means a bot didn't form something. However, I don't follow how different media outlets do it. So, maybe in this case it does mean no bot at all involved.

Ph1llip

I think you're correct about the typo thing. I never saw that possibility until you now pointed it out. Cognitive bias I guess (not tin foil). Yes, at times I do pay attention to detail and then focus on such. They probably should have payed more attention to detail. In terms of bots vs real people writing articles, I don't think a listed attribution necessary means a bot didn't form something. However, I don't follow how different media outlets do it. So, maybe in this case it does mean no bot at all involved.
I do agree with you though...careless editing is annoying. You'd think that somewhere, an editor was doing their job but oh no, pride in work and precision is something that apparently only a few like you and I still believe in!

View attachment 33

Besides the restrictions being considered, I suppose the wider question is why Europe is once again appeasing a despot leading to hardships like the above.

I think I'll stick to my ICE pickup and SUV for now as clearly, the infrastructure for the smooth functioning of mass EV usage isn't ready for prime time, anywhere.

Even Californistan, the state with the widest adoption of EV's in the US, can't get it right.
That's a terrible article, practically drivel.

SteinwayTransitCorp

That's a terrible article, practically drivel.
The Article is poorly written, but I speak to many friends in Europe. The fact is they have power, shortages, gas, shortages, and food shortages they have been told not to plug-in their Ev’s. The green energy Push has crippled Europe and it’s coming to the United States and Canada. A small sample can be found in California.