Switzerland considers restrictions on EV use this winter

spARTacus

I agree that lots of things go to extreme before eventually settling down. Probably lots of things like that, and also beyond just government ideas or intervention. Phones might be a good example. Lots of people have said the drastic phone growth craze is over, with saturation now. It should eventually settle down about EVs, green, climate change, etc..

SteinwayTransitCorp

I agree that lots of things go to extreme before eventually settling down. Probably lots of things like that, and also beyond just government ideas or intervention. Phones might be a good example. Lots of people have said the drastic phone growth craze is over, with saturation now. It should eventually settle down about EVs, green, climate change, etc..
I hope so, because now the nuts want cows to wear diapers and have breathing masks to cut down on methane. Every day it becomes more and more light Monty Python’s flying circus

idssteve

I hope so, because now the nuts want cows to wear diapers and have breathing masks to cut down on methane. Every day it becomes more and more light Monty Python’s flying circus
Lol... if you knew my wife's parents, you'd understand that SOME of these folks suffer zero interest in what ever issue they're exploiting today. With her parents, it's ALL about burning "great satan Amerika" down to smoldering ashes. Pretty much a quote. An insane hatred that must be experienced to believe. AND they're PROUD of it! Lmao.

idssteve

Kind of like the amount of carbon that is released by a piece of wood burnt in a woodstove, vs if that same piece of wood is left to rot on the forest floor.
Methane (aka CH4 or Natural Gas) is considered 10x + greenhouse effect as CO2. According to at least a couple hypotheses, burning wood etc into CO2 suffers 10x less gross GHe than letting wood, plant matter, etc decompose into CH4.. Likewise, burning methane fuels (NG) is considered about 10x+ LESS GHe than letting that NG methane escape from ground to atmosphere. Per a few postulated hypotheses. Afaik. I concur, btw.

Bacteria within termite guts were once purported a biggest source of Earth's atmospheric CH4. As might be rice paddy practice?

Like rice farming, cattle effectively derive human palatable nutrition from much acreage that's simply less suitable for other food sources. My macerating and digesting equipment isn't well suited for grass consumption. Lol. Cattle etc do it better than I. Lol

Last edited:

Ph1llip

+1 for air exchangers! SOP for facilities we spec. BIG advocate for fresh air. Especially living with virus realities. Lol.

My homestead "FREEdom" might not prove so "free" much further north? Lol. I'd like more details on gas stove athsma etc "studies". Never really trusted odorants and other contaminants in NG, myself. Don't really trust emf radiating from 50amp electric stoves, either. Lol.
Y'all should try Air Purifiers. I have three running in my home. I don't like leaving windows open for security reasons. Removes PM2.5 and VOCs. They're so good they kick in to max scrubbing mode the second I f*rt LOL. The best brands I've found are Blueair and Samsung.

Combined with Dehumidifiers and the reverse cycle aircon, I think I get great air quality in a completely sealed home. The only disadvantage is cleaning and replacing filters, which can get expensive over time.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Lol... if you knew my wife's parents, you'd understand that SOME of these folks suffer zero interest in what ever issue they're exploiting today. With her parents, it's ALL about burning "great satan Amerika" down to smoldering ashes. Pretty much a quote. An insane hatred that must be experienced to believe. AND they're PROUD of it! Lmao.

Attachments

• 356901B3-9F1C-41B5-B4FA-E1257382A08C.gif
    356901B3-9F1C-41B5-B4FA-E1257382A08C.gif
    419.9 KB · Views: 1
  • E5A1CE41-964B-4205-AE4E-95B6891F7717.gif
    E5A1CE41-964B-4205-AE4E-95B6891F7717.gif
    48.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 39184814-52FC-4A05-871E-F79B30ED2C4C.jpeg
    39184814-52FC-4A05-871E-F79B30ED2C4C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

idssteve

Loll... I've enjoyed decades of "melting their synapses". THEY profess to have enjoyed me "melting their synapses" these decades!! They profess to enjoy an "educational" trip to our homestead better than trip on lysergic! Relics from 1968 Chicago convention. Loll.

They raised a fabulously independent daughter who loves her independence AND her Nation protecting it. Go figure.

Last edited:

spARTacus

Methane (aka CH4 or Natural Gas) is considered 10x + greenhouse effect as CO2. According to at least a couple hypotheses, burning wood etc into CO2 suffers 10x less gross GHe than letting wood, plant matter, etc decompose into CH4.. Likewise, burning methane fuels (NG) is considered about 10x+ LESS GHe than letting that NG methane escape from ground to atmosphere. Per a few postulated hypotheses. Afaik. I concur, btw.

Bacteria within termite guts were once purported a biggest source of Earth's atmospheric CH4. As might be rice paddy practice?

Like rice farming, cattle effectively derive human palatable nutrition from much acreage that's simply less suitable for other food sources. My macerating and digesting equipment isn't well suited for grass consumption. Lol. Cattle etc do it better than I. Lol
There was at one point concepts for harvesting grasses, bushes and other fast growing seasonal plant matter (instead of trees that are slower mutli-season growing sources) for the purpose of then using such for energy production. Not sure where that ever went.

idssteve

There was at one point concepts for harvesting grasses, bushes and other fast growing seasonal plant matter (instead of trees that are slower mutli-season growing sources) for the purpose of then using such for energy production. Not sure where that ever went.
Still there. Mostly liquid versions. I just loaded up inlaws' 200gal trailer tank with "proprietary" home brew bio for their trip home in "Smithsonian relic" VW Rabbit Diesel. Should power their transportation till Thanksgiving, at least. Their pot leaf-peace sign painted microbus serving storage shed duties since rear main spun decades ago. Main saddle stretch a common malady of the design, imo. Offered to help repower with Corvair but too "AmeriKan" for them. Go figure. Lol They're excited about ev conversion for their microbus. Still sorting design for my F350 ev conversion. Lol

As contended by supporters of rebellion against Whiskey Tax, 1791-1794, "liquid grain" proves convenient on multiple levels. Hauling many tons of grain to distant market via draft beast wagon, before rail, proved MUCH practical to concentrate that value into liquid form. Lol

Solid fuels only really work out on large scale, imo. Where rail, river, etc can most readily transport solids in bulk. Hard to grow, harvest and deliver competitively against scale of WY coal. For example. Rail traffic in/out of THAT coal field truly eye opening. Imo. Just visualizing cubic feet of gasious emission each coal car represents... worth pondering, imo..

At least the O2 burned with bio combustion got released (last year?) with grain growth. Reuniting O2 released before fossilization has proven a life long worry, for me.

Displacing food growth for fuel growth another worry. The wife and I anticipate answering to our Creator some day. Lol. That said, grass etc consume minerals from soil. Minerals that might not get back into the system if burned directly. "Liquid grain" at least mostly burns starches. Minerals find home as mash mulch for garden, etc. Out of that "liquification" process. Lol.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Still there. Mostly liquid versions. I just loaded up inlaws' 200gal trailer tank with "proprietary" home brew bio for their trip home in "Smithsonian relic" VW Rabbit Diesel. Should power their transportation till Thanksgiving, at least. Their pot leaf-peace sign painted microbus serving storage shed duties since rear main spun decades ago. Main saddle stretch a common malady of the design, imo. Offered to help repower with Corvair but too "AmeriKan" for them. Go figure. Lol They're excited about ev conversion for their microbus. Still sorting design for my F350 ev conversion. Lol

As contended by supporters of rebellion against Whiskey Tax, 1791-1794, "liquid grain" proves convenient on multiple levels. Hauling many tons of grain to distant market via draft beast wagon, before rail, proved MUCH practical to concentrate that value into liquid form. Lol

Solid fuels only really work out on large scale, imo. Where rail, river, etc can most readily transport solids in bulk. Hard to grow, harvest and deliver competitively against scale of WY coal. For example. Rail traffic in/out of THAT coal field truly eye opening. Imo. Just visualizing cubic feet of gasious emission each coal car represents... worth pondering, imo..

At least the O2 burned with bio combustion got released (last year?) with grain growth. Reuniting O2 released before fossilization has proven a life long worry, for me.

Displacing food growth for fuel growth another worry. The wife and I anticipate answering to our Creator some day. Lol. That said, grass etc consume minerals from soil. Minerals that might not get back into the system if burned directly. "Liquid grain" at least mostly burns starches. Minerals find home as mash mulch for garden, etc. Out of that "liquification" process. Lol.
Hey hey that VW is not a relic, just seasoned. I have an 82 vw rabbit diesel with a 4 speed. Just turned million miles….going strong.

on the subject of using grasses and other plants as fuel, only in a fat developed country would anyone consider using food for fuel while half the world starves

spARTacus

...on the subject of using grasses and other plants as fuel, only in a fat developed country would anyone consider using food for fuel while half the world starves
The earlier concept I thought I heard about wasn't about using land suitable for normal agriculture, nor about using grains, corn or other crops like that. More I think about fast growing harsh grasses, brush and undergrowth, and from areas like swamps or other places that wouldn't normally already be in use. A whole new industry I think for harvesting and managing re-growth of plant/bio materials for such purpose. It was probably just another concept.

idssteve

The earlier concept I thought I heard about wasn't about using land suitable for normal agriculture, nor about using grains, corn or other crops like that. More I think about fast growing harsh grasses, brush and undergrowth, and from areas like swamps or other places that wouldn't normally already be in use. A whole new industry I think for harvesting and managing re-growth of plant/bio materials for such purpose. It was probably just another concept.
Biomass energy IS a thing. Much activity there. CO2 neutrality seems somewhat controversial but minimizing CH4 is why biomass energy, imo.

Yet, still a food/fuel conflict? Justabout any ground that can grow something combustible can grow something a critter can consume. While accessing terrain tractors shouldn't consider? Critters that can fill empty omnivorous human bellies? Lol. Ponder for ponder. Lol.

That said, I've toyed with various lab fun for decades...

Ph1llip

LOL Biomass is another "green" energy unicorn. It requires several rounds of expensive transformation to be even suitable for cars. And when it is, Ethanol is just about the dumbest thing you can put into a vehicle, especially a high performance one. It's so staggeringly irrelevant as an energy source that in 2021, it managed to contribute a whopping 5% to the United States' total energy consumption, making it just a little better than a rounding error 🤪.

SteinwayTransitCorp

We have cheap affordable clean energy is the wing nuts would get out of the way its called Nuclear/hydro/thermal. But reality has no place in today's science.

idssteve

LOL Biomass is another "green" energy unicorn. It requires several rounds of expensive transformation to be even suitable for cars. And when it is, Ethanol is just about the dumbest thing you can put into a vehicle, especially a high performance one. It's so staggeringly irrelevant as an energy source that in 2021, it managed to contribute a whopping 5% to the United States' total energy consumption, making it just a little better than a rounding error 🤪.
I've traveled many miles with that "dumbest thing" powering various vehicles. Both SI and CI. Do I advocate it as THE solution? For ALL? Certainly NOT. For ANYone else? Individual choices there. It has its problems. Starting with hydroscopic properties. Which was why we drained our Holleys ASAP after a run at the strip. Lol

Like methanol, ethanol enjoys fabulous detonation resistance. PERFECT for high performance applications IF, BIG if, properly configured and tuned to exploit its characteristics. Starting with compression ratio. Alky fuels can run 13.5+ CR. Flip side of compression ratio is EXPANSION ratio. Expanding working gases 13.5 : 1 each power pulse recovers MUCH efficiency lost to alky's specific heat rate deficit.

My old 58 BSA A10 could get 65mpg on 87octane petro.. Swapping its 9:1 for 13.5:1 pistons, along with a custom cam grind, nets it 65mpg on home brew 195. !! A drain cock on the single Amal Monobloc let's me drain the SERIOUSLY hydroscopic stuff to a cup and dump into fuel cell sealed tank. Unless I take a sip just to phreek out buddies. Who might also like a sip? Lol. Best mixed, of course. No "high performance" gathering should call themselves "hard core" without such attractions at a bash! Imo. Lol.

Do I consider ANYthing as THE solution? Certainly no. As a classic "rugged individualist" AmeriCAN, I CAN gitter done. I DO. Happy to talk and share what I've learned this long life. ZERO desire to save humanity from itself. One Guy tried that, 2K years ago. I ain't Him. Lol.

Ph1llip

We have cheap affordable clean energy is the wing nuts would get out of the way its called Nuclear/hydro/thermal. But reality has no place in today's science.
Today's science is whatever keeps the grant money flowing. Unfortunately there's no money in good ole reliable baseload sources like nuclear or coal or gas.

I envy Steve's energy independence and would have done exactly the same thing but I'm not as technically gifted as he is. So I do have to depend on the grid. And the grid does not work with solar and wind exclusively. Hydro is location sensitive. And transmission costs are a very commercial factor that makes or breaks business cases!

Ph1llip

I've traveled many miles with that "dumbest thing" powering various vehicles. Both SI and CI. Do I advocate it as THE solution? For ALL? Certainly NOT. For ANYone else? Individual choices there. It has its problems. Starting with hydroscopic properties. Which was why we drained our Holleys ASAP after a run at the strip. Lol

Like methanol, ethanol enjoys fabulous detonation resistance. PERFECT for high performance applications IF, BIG if, properly configured and tuned to exploit its characteristics. Starting with compression ratio. Alky fuels can run 13.5+ CR. Flip side of compression ratio is EXPANSION ratio. Expanding working gases 13.5 : 1 each power pulse recovers MUCH efficiency lost to alky's specific heat rate deficit.

My old 58 BSA A10 could get 65mpg on 87octane petro.. Swapping its 9:1 for 13.5:1 pistons, along with a custom cam grind, nets it 65mpg on home brew 195. !! A drain cock on the single Amal Monobloc let's me drain the SERIOUSLY hydroscopic stuff to a cup and dump into fuel cell sealed tank. Unless I take a sip just to phreek out buddies. Who might also like a sip? Lol. Best mixed, of course. No "high performance" gathering should call themselves "hard core" without such attractions at a bash! Imo. Lol.

Do I consider ANYthing as THE solution? Certainly no. As a classic "rugged individualist" AmeriCAN, I CAN gitter done. I DO. Happy to talk and share what I've learned this long life. ZERO desire to save humanity from itself. One Guy tried that, 2K years ago. I ain't Him. Lol.
Just saw your post after I wrote mine! I wasn't denigrating your post, more responding to Spartz's post about Biomass. I know it works but we aren't as technically diligent or gifted as you, is all I meant 😁. I also have doubts it can scale?

idssteve

Hydro's MY hero. GeoTherm too. Many disagree but till we at least decide on a language to post a "danger do not dig" sign that ppl can read many melenia from now, melenia half life fission poisons should remain unproduced. Imo.

BIG excited over fusion! Breakeven likely achieved recently?