Top 5 Games of 2022!

16bitnomad

Figured I would thow my hat in on helping CrackBerry 2.0 get going in the gaming sphere. My goal is to start at least two new posts each week in the gaming threads because well gaming is my passion LOL. Hopefully I can bring some gaming subjects for the group to discuss and help the forum grow!
What's everyone's top games of 2022? Let's stick with 5 games (though you can add more if you like :). Include a few sentences as well that explain why you enjoyed the game and feel it's in your top 5. You can go console, PC, Mac, or even mobile! The sky is the limit!! I'll start us off...

5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - What can I say about this opus to 90's arcades games? When I first played this game, I don't know who was having more fun....me or my kids. My kids laughed at the characters. They were pumped when we took down Bebop and Rocksteady. This was probably the first beat-em up that they have played (and that we played as a family) and it's one that they still play till this day. For me, the nostalgia factor was big. The music, the characters, the little touches that harkened back to my childhood of playing with the TMNT toys, watching the show, and playing the Arcade game (IN AN ACTUAL ARCADE!!!) was just awesome. This game easily is one of my top 5 of the year.

4. Horizon Forbidden West - I must confess that I have not finished this one year. I'm probably about 65-75% through the main story line. It's just hard to finish an open world game today with a full-time job, kids, spending time with the wife, and just dealign with life in general. But man, this is a beautiful game. And Aloy is an awesome character. I loved the first game and Aloy's story of finding herself. We still have some of that in the sequel but the story (so far for me) is still helping to build, not only Aloy's character, but the world as well. And the world is gorgeous! The gameplay is amazing! You're fighting robot dinosaurs for goodness sake!! Great game to have in your PS5 library.

3. God of War Ragnorok - GoWR has only been out for a few weeks so I am only around 25% through the game. And while it isn't open world like Horizon, there is a lot to take in. Graphics are beautiful. Gameplay is satisfying. The music hits. I liked the first one on PS4, but the sequel is keeping my attention and drawing me into Kratos' world much better. Play this one whenever you can!

2. Record of Lodes War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth - I picked this one up for the Switch and fell in love with this great metro-mania type game. It reminded my of the 16-bit days and a great 2d game that controlled well, had a great story, and whose gameplay really expressed exploration and using different tools to help you navigate the world and defeat the bad guys. You might be thinking I'm crazy for putting this before something like GoW or Horizon. Well I guess I'm just a little tired of games that take 30-40 hours to beat (though my number one says otherwise). This one just really connected with me. Great game!

1. Elden Ring - I'm a huge From Software fan so when this game was announced, I was super pumped. As trailers and announcements came, my hype kept climbing. And when it was released, this game was everything I had hoped it would be. The world, the characters, the music, the gameplay...all of it. This is an exceptional game!!!! And I have kept coming back to over and over. I make progress in its beautiful world till I come across something that just wrecks me. I die. I die again. And again. I get ready to throw my controller through the tv. I turn my PS5 mumbling to myself incoherent words. In a few days, I come back and own whatever it was that gave me trouble previously. Rinse and repeat. Man, I love Elden Ring!!!

Thanks for reading my post. Sorry if I have rambled a bit. Comment if you like. Share your top 5!! I'm excited to see what everyone else has enjoyed this year.

durendal

I'm not an avid gamer and have never been up to date with the latest games. But this year, I've managed to play the following games which I extremely enjoyed:

1. Nier Automata. Yeah, 5 years too late, but still managed to dig up this one. I've enjoyed this game immensely, not only for the game mechanics, but also for the depth of the story. It's depressing actually, but once you get immersed into it, you just can't let go of the controller.

2. Nier Replicant. Played this game because of Nier Automata. Now the events in Nier Automata weigh much heavier now that I've played this game. Damn you Yoko Taro for the feels!!

3. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. Also played this. Not as long as I'd expect, but I'm a sucker for 2D games. Loved the mechanics and simple puzzle solving.

4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Spiritual successor to SOTN. I do love the Metroidvania genre, and this really took countless hours of my time. Nothing feels like getting 100% off the game.

5. Final Fantasy Brave Exvius: War of the Vision. Currently still playing this. It's a tactical RPG similar to Final Fantasy Tactics. Started playing this game because this is a spin-off of the original game Final Fantasy Brave Exvius which I played extensively before.

I just returned to a desktop PC after using a laptop for many years. As a result I am trying some new games. I've been playing Stray and Cyberpunk 2077.

Oh man. This is my kinda thread!!

So, I'm definitely a more casual gamer, but once I get into a game, I go all out. It's how I role. I don't really get into many games but when I do, I do my thang.

I don't even know if I've played 5 different games that all came out this year, so I'll list the ones I can remember.

3. Elden Ring - My best friend convinced me to buy Elden Ring and I very very very much have a love/hate relationship with it. It is absolutely gorgeous, the mechanics are incredibly, the graphics, scenery, music, and everything else are just top notch but it is so...freaking...annoying. I can't tell you how many times I've played it, given up, and come back and I'm only maybe like 10-15% through the game? Maybe? I love it, I hate it, I love it again, it's been an emotional year lol.

2. Horizon: Forbidden West - I absolutely LOVED the first one when it came out. I platinumed the entire game in like 3 weeks I was so into it. The story was completely mind-blowing, the graphics, scenery, and combat were so incredibly engaging, and the progression system was nearly perfect. Fast forward to this year, and dare Guerrila outdid themselves. I was stunned with Forbidden West. It's an incredible game. I was a little disappointed with the weapon options and how much of the legendary gear was locked behind non-essential challenges, but for the most part, very well done.

1. God of War: Ragnarok - Any father of boys cannot possibly play God of War (2018) and GoW:R without feeling every single feel in their little hearts. The story is one of the best, most moving, deepest, most powerful, and most emotional stories I've ever seen - period. As a writer who spent several years writing for film and TV in LA, the story told here of this father and son is absolutely incredible. I can't remember the last time I cried at a video game, if ever. I haven't finished Ragnarok yet but already I think it's almost a more moving story than the last one. And if Christopher Judge does not get to play Kratos in the live-action TV series, We. Will. Riot.

If we're allowed to go back to 2021, then Control and Star Wars: Jedi, Fallen Order would be added to the list.

Last edited:

durendal

It's not from 2022, but I am really into Genshin Impact.
I've actually played it and my Daughter is really into this. I stopped playing this as this is taking too much of my time, but I log in once in a while to collect those primo gems. Especially now I believe they are giving away around 1400 primo gems. My daughter is actually higher leveled than me. I think her world level is already at 8, and she got most of the available Archons (if not all).

16bitnomad

I'm not an avid gamer and have never been up to date with the latest games. But this year, I've managed to play the following games which I extremely enjoyed:

1. Nier Automata. Yeah, 5 years too late, but still managed to dig up this one. I've enjoyed this game immensely, not only for the game mechanics, but also for the depth of the story. It's depressing actually, but once you get immersed into it, you just can't let go of the controller.

2. Nier Replicant. Played this game because of Nier Automata. Now the events in Nier Automata weigh much heavier now that I've played this game. Damn you Yoko Taro for the feels!!

3. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. Also played this. Not as long as I'd expect, but I'm a sucker for 2D games. Loved the mechanics and simple puzzle solving.

4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Spiritual successor to SOTN. I do love the Metroidvania genre, and this really took countless hours of my time. Nothing feels like getting 100% off the game.

5. Final Fantasy Brave Exvius: War of the Vision. Currently still playing this. It's a tactical RPG similar to Final Fantasy Tactics. Started playing this game because this is a spin-off of the original game Final Fantasy Brave Exvius which I played extensively before.
Nier Automata was a great game!! A very interesting story for sure. I played it on PS4 but may end up picking it up for the Switch as well.

Bracken81

Couldn't get into the 1st horizon game, so avoided the 2nd. Concept is awesome play style looks good, not sure why but it just didn't grasp me