Twitter just murdered a cottage industry of better Twitter apps

spARTacus

Not specifically being a twitter fan or not, I wasn't specifically aware there were third party twitter apps. Sounds like there was some fairly big benefits to those that did use third party apps. Sounds also like it was strange for twitter to have maintained that api capability over the years, for third party apps. Other than good will, was there any benefit to twitter for people not using offical twitter apps, but instead using third party apps?

app_Developer

Not specifically being a twitter fan or not, I wasn't specifically aware there were third party twitter apps. Sounds like there was some fairly big benefits to those that did use third party apps. Sounds also like it was strange for twitter to have maintained that api capability over the years, for third party apps. Other than good will, was there any benefit to twitter for people not using offical twitter apps, but instead using third party apps?

It helped twitter a lot in the early days. I worked on the official app and a 3rd party one. Business, celebrities and brands used third party apps. So did bots. So did people on less popular platforms like BB.

All of it drove more activity to Twitter and made Twitter the place to post and interract. But then when it came to monetizing all of that activity, Twitter wanted everyone on their own app. They became less open, more walled garden. Then now they’ve dropped the garden part all together.