Uncle gifted me a Drone; FAA registration required?

givechanceachance

IMG_20221216_180135_061.jpg

Am I suppose to register to FAA before using? I live in Chicago. Looking to get some captures from above maybe 20-50ft for video project. Is there a one stop site to get the do's and don'ts ?

Thanks!

Bla1ze

CB OG
The FAA site has most of the info you're looking for including breaking down the details surrounding if you need to register it.
  • All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers.
  • Drones registered under part 107 may be flown for recreational purposes as well as under part 107.
  • Drones registered under the Exception for Recreational Flyers cannot be flown for Part 107 operations.

spARTacus

Have you tried it out yet? Lots of the current and recent ones won't fly very high/far if not sync'd via a flying app and probably also some sort of call home messages and geo checks against restriction zones, etc... around you. Unless yours does not use or require app sync or you are trying for using third party apps to get around manufacture included measures, there could be a small chance you'll have a hard time getting it very far off the ground where you think you may wish to fly it. Also, the US has gotten really tight with DJI over the years (the leading drone manufacturer in the world - because they are from China and concerns about privacy and security of whom else can access information/video the drones transmit when in flight). I am not trying to make you paranoid. Just saying there is lots to know if you want to make sure to not ever get in trouble with drones. If you play it safe you should be able to keep yourself out of trouble. More chance of troubles (in my opinion) the closer you get to city or population centres, airports, key infrastructure sites/buildings, accident or event scenes, etc...

howarmat

I did mine as it was easy and I do live less than a mile from small airfield. Havent flown it in over a year though :(

SteinwayTransitCorp

I too in FLA live near a small airport and also a major flight path for Tampa. I used mine to shoot some photos. I thought it was great but like you put it away after that.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Still in the closet. I've got too many interest though a friend and I want to start filming silent film conspiracy shorts again titled "DOCTA" That project is on hold atm and I need to get the website for it up to speed first. https://drnothing.in/

We did 23 short films in a period of 4 years and some of our episode ideas call for a drone shot.
Cool, I can’t wait to see it off the ground ……..no pun intended