US Justice Department seeks antitrust break-up of Google

conite

Another stupid move.

They'll just get their money another way, and start charging hand over fist for things we currently get for free.

spARTacus

I don't really understand the "conflict of interest" wording used by the US DOJ. I'd have thought that nothing google is doing is in conflict with google's interests.

Dunt Dunt Dunt

I think one reason they moved to Alphabet is this has been a concern for a long time, both the EU and USA have been moving towards this...

But I'm not sure consumers are going to benefit, most of the case is built around Google forcing the use of their search services. I've used Bing, Yahoo!, DuckDuckGo and even swisscows... but always come back to Google Search.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I think one reason they moved to Alphabet is this has been a concern for a long time, both the EU and USA have been moving towards this...

But I'm not sure consumers are going to benefit, most of the case is built around Google forcing the use of their search services. I've used Bing, Yahoo!, DuckDuckGo and even swisscows... but always come back to Google Search.
I use all of them, I like duck duck go but it can cause issues 0n its own. Bing just sucks up info, firefox is my go to set to private. What ever the government does do it will be a dumpster fire

Dunt Dunt Dunt

I use all of them, I like duck duck go but it can cause issues 0n its own. Bing just sucks up info, firefox is my go to set to private. What ever the government does do it will be a dumpster fire

Isn't Firefox using Google Search? You can go into setting and change it...

I think that's what the Government wants is for users to be required to select their search engine of choice, rather than it defaulting to Google because of some agreement that's been made between Google and the Browser developer. And likly they'll want Google products like Gmail and Maps to allow other search engines as well...