• Windows

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • macOS

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Linux

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Justgeeee

Wonder if you could drop Bluestacks for the Windows Subsystem for Android in Windows 11?

But I know lots of folks... not using a "PC" at all at home.

At home I've gotten where I don't bother with my laptop, unless I'm doing some serious amount of typing. Often times I find it's been several weeks since I last powered it on. Now work, it's mostly Windows11 on the workstation... Linux serves a purpose on some of the servers. But support by other developers just doesn't allow it on the workstations.

But as more and more software moves to the cloud... I could see Linux as the basic terminal solution. Both for Home and Work..
I got a chromebook but I couldnt run roblox on it to play with my daughter lol so went back to windows. Since you mention it outside of work only time I really use a keyboard is for roblox and streaming hard to find movies.

I'm currently running Windows 11 on my desktop PC. I've gotten into gaming and even got a Logitech mechanical keyboard with brown switches (so it works for typing as well as gaming). My rig has a Ryzen 7 5700X, Radeon RX 6600XT, and 16 GB 3200 MHz RAM.

By

Rootbrian

Windows 11.

I really started on IBM DOS 3.3 being on the first computer I worked with. The first PC I bought in late 1990 (an IBM PS/2 55SX) came packaged with DOS 4 and Windows 3.

My work initially required AutoCAD, then with the Architecture add-on, then the move to Autodesk Revit about 10 years ago which only runs on Windows. So that's what I'm on today.
Should see if it runs on WINE. Can check at WineHQ (a search will have it at the top result), then go to the list of applications, search up autoCAD or Autodesk.

It's an age old argument. Windows is better! macOS is better! This year is Linux' year! What OS are you currently using on your Laptop or Desktop? Feel free to expand on the version (Windows 11, Ubuntu, etc) in the comments.
Well for a while I was using Mac for personal, Windows 10 for work (they wouldn't let us upgrade to 11 lol), and ChromeOS and Linux for personal as well. Honestly, I like ChromeOS more than I thought I would. It's great for writing and other lightweight tasks, and the keyboard on my Acer Chromebook Spin 714 is actually pretty phenomenal.

But since I changed jobs and now work on a Mac, I've had to leave Windows behind, at least mostly. I still have Windows 10 installed on my bootcamped MacBook Pro.

durendal

Currently still using Windows 10, and still afraid to upgrade this to 11. I've been a windows user since 3.1 (which kinda shows my age). I like Windows for it's flexibility, but gets frustrating because of the constant bugs. Not a fan of MacOS because of its rigidness. I think I would be a fan of linux, but unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to actually play around with this. Actually thought of switching to Linux, but current circumstances prevent me from doing so (don't have the luxury of time to learn it).

Steve Tutty

Own several laptops, my customized OSes include; Q4OS Trinity Scorpion 2.7, Windows Vista Ultimate (Build 6002), Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 6801), Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 7000), Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 7601), WES7 (Build 7601), Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter, Windows XP Pro SP3. On my BB phones; BB 5, BB6, BB 7 (Prototype for testing only), BB 7.1, BB 10.3, and BB Android 8.0.

idssteve

My company uses lots of ToughBooks. Some CF31s but many CF30s. None really compatible with Win11 so Win10 dominates still. Quite a few various Linux also.

I personally dislike CF31 cooling fan. CF30's fanless config, combined with SSD, makes for no moving parts. Nicely quiet.

We're pretty deeply invested into spare parts, batteries, docking stations, etc. Docking stations typically include RF passthrough to WWAN card.

Some legacy equipment we service demands CF30/31's 9 pin serial com. Software from pre-usb days. Lol

My first "laptop", early 80s, was a Tandy CoCo2 I'd fitted into a suitcase. Demanded access to any available color TV as monitor. Lol. I'd dev'd a stylus digitizer into it and ported a VERY early, numeric coordinates, A-CAD release (microCAD) into a ROM card for it. Lol.. A whopping 32K ram...!!! Lmao.

Last edited:

givechanceachance

I find #!++ (crunchbang plus plus) the most utilitarian Debian distro and been using it almost exclusively (I have an offline XP box for specific purposes) for almost 8 years.

SteinwayTransitCorp

My company uses lots of ToughBooks. Some CF31s but many CF30s. None really compatible with Win11 so Win10 dominates still. Quite a few various Linux also.

I personally dislike CF31 cooling fan. CF30's fanless config, combined with SSD, makes for no moving parts. Nicely quiet.

We're pretty deeply invested into spare parts, batteries, docking stations, etc. Docking stations typically include RF passthrough to WWAN card.

Some legacy equipment we service demands CF30/31's 9 pin serial com. Software from pre-usb days. Lol

My first "laptop", early 80s, was a Tandy CoCo2 I'd fitted into a suitcase. Demanded access to any available color TV as monitor. Lol. I'd dev'd a stylus digitizer into it and ported a VERY early, numeric coordinates, A-CAD release (microCAD) into a ROM card for it. Lol.. A whopping 32K ram...!!! Lmao.
I remember my first mobile phone, it was the size of a brief case and when opened I had to screw in the antenna. Talk time was an amazing 45 minutes…lmao

idssteve

I remember my first mobile phone, it was the size of a brief case and when opened I had to screw in the antenna. Talk time was an amazing 45 minutes…lmao
Old analog bag phone WORKED. It picked up signal from FAR towers. A few times while in Cessna, far FAR away. Lol. Carried
a spare batt for it.. Toward the last i carried a portable fax machine that could use audible phone coupler velcroed to its headset. Bout 300 baud?

Analog was great, imo. Till the bill arrived. About 400/month and $1.50/minute, as i recall. Lol. Also tower congestion became an issue sometimes about when i first heard of tdma and cdma and... lol

SteinwayTransitCorp

Old analog bag phone WORKED. It picked up signal from FAR towers. A few times while in Cessna, far FAR away. Lol. Carried
a spare batt for it.. Toward the last i carried a portable fax machine that could use audible phone coupler velcroed to its headset. Bout 300 baud?

Analog was great, imo. Till the bill arrived. About 400/month and $1.50/minute, as i recall. Lol. Also tower congestion became an issue sometimes about when i first heard of tdma and cdma and... lol
Not only did it work but it worked well ! The end of month surprise was always exciting and not in a good way.