Wow. Just wow...

idssteve

Ha! My first boolean computer, built in highschool, used three clacking relays for processing. Three 1156 tail light bulbs for output. Three spst toggle switches for input. Lol. It could count to 8. 0-7. Lol.

Processing aside, COMMUNICATION HMI I/O demands human interaction. Limitations of bare finger on slab interaction have been well understood for quite a few mellenia. Till now. Lol.

spARTacus

Here's a real computer built within the unreal Minecraft environment (jump ahead to get to the part where it shows running "complex programs", like playing snake, brick breaker, etc).

SteinwayTransitCorp

I remember in school fortran and basic, stacks of IBM cards. Changing tape reels, you know when it all worked for the greater good……oh yea changing vacuum tubes as well. My friends dad worked on the lunar lem. When math was real/importance was understood/and in school it was not racist if you had an issue with math. Now if you get close you get points…….God help us all

Ph1llip

I remember in school fortran and basic, stacks of IBM cards. Changing tape reels, you know when it all worked for the greater good……oh yea changing vacuum tubes as well. My friends dad worked on the lunar lem. When math was real/importance was understood/and in school it was not racist if you had an issue with math. Now if you get close you get points…….God help us all
Ahh... punch cards. I wasn't old enough to have worked with them around. I do remember learning that one of ENIAC's first use cases was calculating artillery ballistics. Now that definitely fits into the "for the greater good".

Thankfully, Math these days will still punish you for error, regardless of what color you are. Whatever points someone gets for "close enough" will be small comfort when the bridge they're building collapses LOL. Or when they're at a gun store having Mils and MOA explained to them by someone rolling their eyes :LOL:.

idssteve

did a lot of FORTRAN. 80bit Hollerith cards were standard. Used for COBOL etc also.. Still some around home. Lol

Math? Whassat? Sounds like something that might assist USA to impede CCP global dominion? Lol

Attachments

• Common Core Math.jpg
    Common Core Math.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1

idssteve

Every year from first up (didn't have K) we were told that a "New Program" was in for next year. That the texts we were using would be obsolete next year. Some were burned in the trash incinerator! I got a pretty full collection of "final year" texts. Especially math. Pre- "New Math". Lol.

Younger brother followed 4 years later. I mentored him into long division. Got good solid logic going. He was thriving. His 4th grade math teacher gave him a big red F on homework for failing to do it "New Math" way. An utterly insulting "way". He never recovered his thrive. He's done fabulously in music, etc. They wrecked him, imo. He was fascinated by quantum mechanics. No more.

Is it paranoia if "they" are REALLY out for maximum wreckage? ?? lol.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Every year from first up (didn't have K) we were told that a "New Program" was in for next year. That the texts we were using would be obsolete next year. Some were burned in the trash incinerator! I got a pretty full collection of "final year" texts. Especially math. Pre- "New Math". Lol.

Younger brother followed 4 years later. I mentored him into long division. Got good solid logic going. He was thriving. His 4th grade math teacher gave him a big red F on homework for failing to do it "New Math" way. An utterly insulting "way". He never recovered his thrive. He's done fabulously in music, etc. They wrecked him, imo. He was fascinated by quantum mechanics. No more.

Is it paranoia if "they" are REALLY out for maximum wreckage? ?? lol.
Amen, a friend asked me to help his son with physics, I showed him how to do it long hand. He then understood it. The teacher told him it was wrong, I went into the HS spoke with the teacher/dean/principal in the end I told them math is math one answer for all. We are domed

idssteve

Amen, a friend asked me to help his son with physics, I showed him how to do it long hand. He then understood it. The teacher told him it was wrong, I went into the HS spoke with the teacher/dean/principal in the end I told them math is math one answer for all. We are domed
A granddaughter was assigned to write an essay about why we should abolish electoral college. I was visiting and she asked me. I explained the reasoning under the electoral college and why we should KEEP it. The 6th grade granddaughter wrote a fabulous essay for why to keep it. One worthy of print, imo.

BIG full page F.. I was furious but composed myself enough for the teach to explain that "following directions is the priority". Ug. My daughter and her spouse has home schooled ever since.

Guess what happened about a month later...? 2000 election fiasco! Coincidence? Foreshadowing? Ug.

SteinwayTransitCorp

A granddaughter was assigned to write an essay about why we should abolish electoral college. I was visiting and she asked me. I explained the reasoning under the electoral college and why we should KEEP it. The 6th grade granddaughter wrote a fabulous essay for why to keep it. One worthy of print, imo.

BIG full page F.. I was furious but composed myself enough for the teach to explain that "following directions is the priority". Ug. My daughter and her spouse has home schooled ever since.

Guess what happened about a month later...? 2000 election fiasco! Coincidence? Foreshadowing? Ug.
i would like to know what these idiots think. Math/science are what they are color blind. Congrats to your daughter you raised her well……..WOOF!

idssteve

i would like to know what these idiots think. Math/science are what they are color blind. Congrats to your daughter you raised her well……..WOOF!

Think? As in synaptic processing?? Lmao.. Does HATE "think"?

Most terrifying was the BIG, FULL PAGE, dripping red paint marker F! The felt of the marker was clearly mashed with hatred? While handing papers back, she reportedly commented something about USA system's bloody murder! Clearly that big F was intended aggressively. Scary sick. "Sugar sweet scary sick".

Up the food chain all we got was that no others complained and what's wrong with us?!! And they were right. Other parents complained quietly between trusted confidants. Too terrified to voice up the chain.

That granddaughter was never again permitted around that woman without supervision. Fortunately, our daughter and son in law, proved supremely competent home schoolers. That granddaughter now home schools the great kids. Lol. AND writes some fabulous teaching materials.

I still ponder the timing. Go figure.

spARTacus

Having to write an essay arguing a point one does not agree with or believe in is a good exercise, one that everyone should have to do. However, not for grade 6. Probably more appropriate for something like grade 10 or even higher. Seems to me the teacher probably did not provide correct teaching guidance as to the purpose of the assignment and for the marking guide that was going be used. And, to pick a politically charged topic like that seems in my opinion like it was meant to only just poke at something on purpose. For that reason, in my opinion the teacher probably shouldn't be teaching or should have been seriously reprimanded by the school administration. If teachers and school administrators can't keep their political views out of the classroom when the topic being taught isn't actually/specifically politics, then those people shouldn't be part of the teaching system, in my opinion.

idssteve

Having to write an essay arguing a point one does not agree with or believe in is a good exercise, one that everyone should have to do. However, not for grade 6. Probably more appropriate for something like grade 10 or even higher. Seems to me the teacher probably did not provide correct teaching guidance as to the purpose of the assignment and for the marking guide that was going be used. And, to pick a politically charged topic like that seems in my opinion like it was meant to only just poke at something on purpose. For that reason, in my opinion the teacher probably shouldn't be teaching or should have been seriously reprimanded by the school administration. If teachers and school administrators can't keep their political views out of the classroom when the topic being taught isn't actually/specifically politics, then those people shouldn't be part of the teaching system, in my opinion.
Agreed. I've pretty much sought to understand and postulate all sides of any issue. Engineering particularly. My grand daughter DID include arguments and counter arguments for both sides. A fabulous essay for ANY grade, imo. Teacher had an agenda. Didnt keep track of where she ultimately ended up. That was her last year there tho.

Most troubling was that a "normal sized" F was all needed. All other grades were "normal" 3/4" tall. SOMEthing about the essay infuriated this teacher to scary extreme. Go figure.

Last edited:

Ph1llip

I agree with y'all. Home schooling, STEM and the three R's. Eerything else in the curriculum is just woke BS.

I regularly annoy my brother and his wife when coming over for barbecues and I quiz my precious, safe-space teenage niece and nephew what new things they learned from from their rainbow tye dye t-shirt teachers that month 😆.