Zero Emission Vehicles

Yamahammer

Looking forward to the transition away from ICE (Internal Combustion Engines). I'm on the waiting list for a Hyundai Ioniq 5, what are you driving or what are you looking at or considering?

travislicious

The city I live in had an electric vehicle show recently, which was super cool so see a variety of electric vehicles side by side. Granted you could only look around inside and not drive any of them.

I came away from that show very impressed with the Audi Q4 E-tron. Its fit and finish seemed excellent and it had all the space I would need for my small family. In terms of more “budget” electric vehicles I think my pick there would have been the Chevy Bolt EV.

I do like the design of the Ioniq 5 you reserved as well. Hopefully the wait isn’t too long for you to get it!

Last edited:

Yamahammer

The city I live in had an electric vehicle show recently, which was super cool so see a variety of electric vehicles side by side. Granted you could only look around inside and not drive any of them.

I came away from that show very impressed with the Audi Q4 E-tron. Its fit and finish seemed excellent and it had all the space I would need for my small family. In terms of more “budget” electric vehicles I think my pick there won’t have been the Chevy Bolt EV.

I do like the design of the Ioniq 5 you reserved as well. Hopefully the wait isn’t too long for you to get it!
The Chevy Bolt is way too small for me to consider (big and tall shopper!) and yes the Audi e-tron is nice but a little too pricey.

Yamahammer

In relation to the to the average number of miles driven per year and what your driving habits actually are, how do you feel about range expectations and charging?

For instance I drive less than the average of 15,000 miles per year and rarely do more than 50 miles in a day. On that basis I would fully expect to never need anything more than level 1 charging, if only once in a blue moon would need Level 2 or 3 charging if I was taking a day trip.

Where I live the climate is extremely cold and as a result much of the level 1 charging infrastructure is already in place since we already have to plug in our ICE vehicles so they'll start in the morning. Every house already has an outdoor outlet for the driveway and most businesses have outlets available for their employees for block heater use.

So rather than plugging in your car to heat the engine so it will start we will be plugging in our cars to charge the vehicle and if you can do it at work guess what, you're getting $0 miles.

So for me, I foresee that an EV will be very suitable for me and every other average driver. Bonus for us where I live all the electricity generation is from hydro (whoops only 97% 🙄) so it's win, win bigtime.

What are your driving habits?

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Yes, let’s congratulate general motors, since they sold their soul to the government store. GM has no choice but to tow the line. What we need is a government to come out and say let’s let the EV production go it alone. No subsidies and no help, Let’s let the public decide the Marketplace will do what’s right.

spARTacus

This article seems to relate to the discussion.

I normally don't care for lots of stuff cbc writes/posts (not that many other news outlets are better), but this Pitts guy normally isn't too bad. Notwithstanding various points made in the article, I still also think it was written as kind of for the purpose of headline grabbing, for what cbc thinks folks want to read or what would catch their eye.

SteinwayTransitCorp

SteinwayTransitCorp

On another front, in the Wall Street Journal today, there was an excellent article about how all of the car companies are losing money on their EV production and research. They are stripping the cash from the internal combustion units that produce regular cars. Chrysler is being forced to close one of his plants so it can qualify for a loan to build Ev’s. This type of economics is not sustainable. When the government picks winners and losers, it usually lands up with the latter.

SteinwayTransitCorp

The story is nice but wrong, ford is making both side by side and dealers are not required to sell EV’s . When the free money ends the joy will also.

rivan is in trouble, and if you dive into the numbers every car GM sells is a loss leader.Also I will say it again EV’s are elitist at best racist at worst. That does not mean all people are but it sure smacks of it. Working class in the big cities will do this how in cold climates? People in rural area’s?

‘Now I own one and it is not the go to car, the Yukon is; fast reliable and the mileage never changes as it aged. I love my car but it is not ready for prime time, and not for general use.

Last edited:

Yamahammer

Even the poorest neighborhoods where I live have basic outdoor 120V plug ins for vehicles. Ooo, look at that someone moved it up a notch!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221216-231049~2.png
    Screenshot_20221216-231049~2.png
    870.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Even the poorest neighborhoods where I live have basic outdoor 120V plug ins for vehicles. Ooo, look at that someone moved it up a notch!
You really do not get it, in NYC people live in buildings that house 80 to 100 families if each owns a car your going to have chargers every 10 feet at the curb. Your Ignorance about the rest of the world is Astounding

SteinwayTransitCorp