Zero Emission Vehicles

Yamahammer

Fossil Fuel subsidies were in excess of $500 Billion in 2021 and that does not include the money spent by the military to "protect" the industry. Free money to oil industry which is already making huge profits? Child slave labour? American corporations sure do like to buy from and use materials from dodgy countries.

" It is rather counterintuitive that to solve environmental problems, companies are using methods that only further damage the environment, even if not emitting carbon dioxide."

SteinwayTransitCorp

" It is rather counterintuitive that to solve environmental problems, companies are using methods that only further damage the environment, even if not emitting carbon dioxide."
Amen the new green movement fix one problem and creates five others. We destroy the environment to save it. Meanwhile, child slave labor is fine as long as I have my toys to play with

Yamahammer

Yes, as the article surmises we must persuade corporate culture to behave in much more ethical ways. ESG (Environmental Social Governance).

As a Canadian I am ashamed that we have open pit mining of tar sands in Alberta and that Governments actually are forced to subsidize them for political partisan reasons. The dirtiest oil in the world and our biggest customer is the United States.

SteinwayTransitCorp

ESG’s are going to go the way of the dodo bird, it was a stupid idea just ask Indonesia. They have the highest E.S.G. score of any country, and they destroyed their economy doing it. The government is in total turmoil people are in the streets food is not being produced stupidity on an apocalyptic scale coming to a country near you.

spARTacus

Electric bikes and scooters seem to be all the rage in Washington DC for the tourists. There must be at least three or four companies with bike and scooter racks distributed all over DC. There must literally be thousands of these things with crews running around at night maintaining and repositioning them. I think they are probably doing well as bike/scooter rental/sharing. Perhaps a smaller scale concept for an upcoming idea for small car EVs for in cities?

SteinwayTransitCorp

Electric bikes and scooters seem to be all the rage in Washington DC for the tourists. There must be at least three or four companies with bike and scooter racks distributed all over DC. There must literally be thousands of these things with crews running around at night maintaining and repositioning them. I think they are probably doing well as bike/scooter rental/sharing. Perhaps a smaller scale concept for an upcoming idea for small car EVs for in cities?
They have them in nyc, burned down two bike shops.

spARTacus

They have them in nyc, burned down two bike shops.
I didn't hear of any shop fires in Washington DC. Maybe there was some earlier and it was just old news by now. Regardless, lessons will be learned and there will be less shop fires in the future. Lots of things went bad also when automobiles and airplanes and submarines were first introduced.

Chuck Finley69

Regardless, the scooter programs are having bigger issues with just vandalism here. Maybe in a few weeks there will be a positive decline in vandalism if there's a 2023 cleanup published

spARTacus

I could see it if there are also many scooters being thrown into rivers and creeks and elsewhere in DC. Unlike many of the Bike rentals in DC (both eBike rentals and plain old pedal Bike rentals), which require the renter to successfully "dock lock" the bike into one of many available rental company bike racks, the scooters in DC seem to be left anywhere/everywhere (either when rental is complete or when the battery runs out). It appears that the renter needs to successfully engage the scooter lock before being freed from the security deposit. However, the locks on the scooters seem to almost be like traditional bike locks. So, there are many that are just locked to parking meters (which defeats the purpose because they can just be lifted up over the meter) or even locked to themselves. After several of these things endup being left in one location, I could see it becoming annoying and residents throwing them out of the way (into a bush, into a river, or anywhere else nearby to get them out of the way). I am sure they are also a keen target of vandalism in the DC area, probably more so then the bikes.

howarmat

We have had 3-4 different scooter companies come to Indy and at least 1 electric car rental. Blueindy, the car sharing company and at least 1 scooter company closed shop I think. Many scooters ended up in the canal as well and had to be fished out. Many people do use the scooters though but many also complain because they are left just scattered everywhere

Here is the article of the end of Blueindy https://electrek.co/2020/06/08/blueindy-electric-cars-crushed/

idssteve

Check out rear tire "wear" on my home built "eMoped"... lol. Old hot rodders never die... they just find (or build) quieter toys... Heehee...

Attachments

• IMG_20220531_202947_995.jpg
    IMG_20220531_202947_995.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

idssteve

We have had 3-4 different scooter companies come to Indy and at least 1 electric car rental. Blueindy, the car sharing company and at least 1 scooter company closed shop I think. Many scooters ended up in the canal as well and had to be fished out. Many people do use the scooters though but many also complain because they are left just scattered everywhere

Here is the article of the end of Blueindy https://electrek.co/2020/06/08/blueindy-electric-cars-crushed/
inadequate security deposit? Or?

Clearly a cultural malady. Picked up countless pop bottles from ditches... Growing up. for deposit refund... Fully marveling at what the homes must look like of such slobs who toss stuff like that. Go figure. To this day, I size up a strange town by shopping carts in parking lots... SOME big city folks seem too willing to scatter carts all over. just stopped at a large market in smaller farming community zero carts to dodge. Ppl return carts or hand them off to someone going in. Refreshing to experience some "shive a git" occasionally. Lol

howarmat

inadequate security deposit? Or?

Clearly a cultural malady. Picked up countless pop bottles from ditches... Growing up. for deposit refund... Fully marveling at what the homes must look like of such slobs who toss stuff like that. Go figure. To this day, I size up a strange town by shopping carts in parking lots... SOME big city folks seem too willing to scatter carts all over. just stopped at a large market in smaller farming community zero carts to dodge. Ppl return carts or hand them off to someone going in. Refreshing to experience some "shive a git" occasionally. Lol
The scooters are light and can just be picked up and tossed. You didnt have to rent them to toss them into the pond, canal etc

Chuck Finley69

The scooters are light and can just be picked up and tossed. You didnt have to rent them to toss them into the pond, canal etc
That's really the sad part. It's a great mobility idea but the outcome almost seems expected and predictable. I don't understand the desire to steal or destroy someone else's property.