EV longevity issues

SteinwayTransitCorp

Well if you needed another reason not to be a guinea pig, here it is. The average battery replacement is not 6 to 8 years but 3 to 4 years. The problem the manufacturers are running into is very simple. People want max range, the car companies tell you never charge above 80% and never drop below 35%. This cuts the overall range to less than half. People who drive these cars like real cars are finding the battery capacity falls off very fast.

durendal

Would you have any source for that data? For me, the only two reasons why I'm not buying an EV right now is number 1) price, and 2) battery life. I find it difficult to accept EV when they are much more expensive than ICE (usually 20% more). They said running an EV costs less because it doesn't use fossil fuel, but Electricity is just as expensive. As for the battery life, I've read somewhere that battery efficiency drops by 1-5% every year. Still not a good argument to convince me to convert. And once you replace the battery, the cost is relatively the same as when you overhaul the engine of an ICE. Granted EV's accelerates faster, but they will never beat the top speed of any super/hyper cars.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Would you have any source for that data? For me, the only two reasons why I'm not buying an EV right now is number 1) price, and 2) battery life. I find it difficult to accept EV when they are much more expensive than ICE (usually 20% more). They said running an EV costs less because it doesn't use fossil fuel, but Electricity is just as expensive. As for the battery life, I've read somewhere that battery efficiency drops by 1-5% every year. Still not a good argument to convince me to convert. And once you replace the battery, the cost is relatively the same as when you overhaul the engine of an ICE. Granted EV's accelerates faster, but they will never beat the top speed of any super/hyper cars.
It was from Ford motor Companies annual report. Ford goes so far to tell customers not to use climate control as it will shorten drive time.

Ph1llip

Hear hear. I too don't have an EV because of the price premium AND range anxiety.

I simply refuse to add even more complexity to my life by having to think of whether I have enough range if something unexpected comes up on my schedule on any given day and have to drive longer than whatever the friggin' range is on the car.

I absolutely refuse to wait at a charging station.

I absolutely refuse to have a wallbox inside my garage because Kaboom. And I absolutely refuse to have a wallbox OUTSIDE the garage for weather and security reasons.

In short, why would I add completely unnecessary expense, time-wasting, risk and worry to my life.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Hear hear. I too don't have an EV because of the price premium AND range anxiety.

I simply refuse to add even more complexity to my life by having to think of whether I have enough range if something unexpected comes up on my schedule on any given day and have to drive longer than whatever the friggin' range is on the car.

I absolutely refuse to wait at a charging station.

I absolutely refuse to have a wallbox inside my garage because Kaboom. And I absolutely refuse to have a wallbox OUTSIDE the garage for weather and security reasons.

In short, why would I add completely unnecessary expense, time-wasting, risk and worry to my life.
Stop with the facts…….LMAO

spARTacus

It was from Ford motor Companies annual report...
You should probably be more clear as to what of the following aspects you posted about, what of those are in the annual report:

- that the average battery replacement is not 6 to 8 years but instead is 3 to 4 years?
- that manufacturers are running into problems that people want max range?
- that if following Ford's suggestion to never charge above 80% and never drop below 35%, that following such cuts the overall range to less than half?
- that people who drive EVs like they drive ICEs, that these people are finding the battery capacity falls off very fast?

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

You should probably be more clear as to what of the following aspects you posted about, what of those are in the annual report:

- that the average battery replacement is not 6 to 8 years but instead is 3 to 4 years?
- that manufacturers are running into problems that people want max range?
- that if following Ford's suggestion to never charge above 80% and never drop below 35%, that following such cuts the overall range to less than half?
- that people who drive EVs like they drive ICEs, that these people are finding the battery capacity falls off very fast?
There is nothing to be clear about I was quite straightforward. All of the information came from Ford Motor Company. If you feel you can’t understand that I’m sorry for you.

spARTacus

There is nothing to be clear about I was quite straightforward. All of the information came from Ford Motor Company. If you feel you can’t understand that I’m sorry for you.
I felt I understood quite well what you implied in what you posted. I questioned you about it to give you the benefit of the doubt in relation to Ford's last annual report, in case you wanted the opportunity to be a bit clearer about what you posted. Since you seem to not want to take advantage of that opportunity, I'll state that I sense there probably really isn't a mention in Ford's last annual report, for all of what you indicated in your post. Another one of those "I didn't feel or see it so I don't believe it" (as you like to refer to it) situations for me challenging the extent of what you post and claim. Maybe for this one you can prove me wrong?

spARTacus

Stop with the facts…….LMAO
LMAO indeed, since pretty much everything Phil indicated, even in the way he indicated it, was an expression of his preferences for his situation. Facts indeed. If it's written somewhere and anywhere on the internet, then by your criteria them be facts.

Ph1llip

LMAO indeed, since pretty much everything Phil indicated, even in the way he indicated it, was an expression of his preferences for his situation. Facts indeed. If it's written somewhere and anywhere on the internet, then by your criteria them be facts.
LOL wrong again Spartz. ALL the points were facts. The fact that I choose not to experience those facts is a completely different angle. Geez, reading and comprehension ain't your thing, is it?

Ph1llip

I felt I understood quite well what you implied in what you posted. I questioned you about it to give you the benefit of the doubt in relation to Ford's last annual report, in case you wanted the opportunity to be a bit clearer about what you posted. Since you seem to not want to take advantage of that opportunity, I'll state that I sense there probably really isn't a mention in Ford's last annual report, for all of what you indicated in your post. Another one of those "I didn't feel or see it so I don't believe it" (as you like to refer to it) situations for me challenging the extent of what you post and claim. Maybe for this one you can prove me wrong?
Did you get beat up at school much? STCo made a very straightforward statement and you managed to tangle it all up. Holy Cow 🤪

SteinwayTransitCorp

Did you get beat up at school much? STCo made a very straightforward statement and you managed to tangle it all up. Holy Cow 🤪
His convoluted word salads are getting ……..well you know.

here is how he would describe the sinking of the titanic. The mighty ship was sailing in the ocean when something happened we believe it could’ve been a iceberg, but this is just a storyline, since it has not been verified and the situation cannot be verified because the ship is no longer here to verify it, therefore we firmly believe that the ship may not have actually sunk, but was spirited away by aliens. This, of course, cannot be verified because we cannot speak directly to the aliens at this time therefore, we feel there may be a situation developing.

spARTacus

LOL wrong again Spartz. ALL the points were facts. The fact that I choose not to experience those facts is a completely different angle. Geez, reading and comprehension ain't your thing, is it?
They were indeed facts, facts about what you have chosen and what you prefer or not. My reading comprehension is perfect.

spARTacus

Hey I gave Stein the opportunity to come clean. I didn't mangle up anything, you can scroll back and read for yourself.

spARTacus

...Go out and get the docs than comb through them as I do every 6 months than come back with your word salad again…lmao
...I left the door wide open for you to point out where in the last annual report from Ford it indicated those things you said it does. I guess we know why you haven't.