Help save the AM radio in cars.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Join the fight to keep AM radio in our cars | Blaze Media​

Lauren FixFebruary 12, 2024
Don't let them touch that dial!

The fight to keep AM radio in our cars isn't over yet.

Currently awaiting Senate approval, the AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act requires all new motor vehicles manufactured and sold in the U.S. to have devices that can access AM broadcast stations installed as standard equipment, at no extra cost.

“I believe these automakers stood up to remove AM radio as part of a broader pattern we see of censoring views that are disfavored by Big Business,” Cruz remarked.

Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) introduced the bill in May 2023, in response to announcements from Tesla and BMW that they would no longer include AM radio in their cars because of electromagnetic interference.

The legislation has found wide bipartisan support, notably from Republican Senator Ted Cruz (Texas), who in December took the unusual step of requesting a unanimous consent decision to approve the bill. This was blocked Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who said the mandate would be an overstep of congressional power.

AM Radio Bill Vote BLOCKED - We Want to Keep AM Radio in ALL CARS

Is the threat AM radio poses to car manufacturers strictly technological? Cruz is skeptical.

“I believe these automakers stood up to remove AM radio as part of a broader pattern we see of censoring views that are disfavored by Big Business,” Cruz remarked. “I think this is consistent with what Big Tech has done, silencing views they disagree with. And so this bill is all about preserving consumer choice — letting consumers decide."

Discontinuing AM radio in cars could also endanger the many Americans, especially in rural areas, who depend on it for information during times of disaster.

“The Emergency Broadcasting System is the primary reason for our support,” said Tom Brand, executive director of the National Association of Farm Broadcasters. “We feel that it’s important for everyone, no matter what zip code they live in, to have access to emergency information from weather to a message that could come from Washington, D.C.”

Now is the time to contact your elected representatives and tell them to pass this important bill.