My friends new F 150 lightning

SteinwayTransitCorp

Well he bought this truck as a way to be green. No thought about his going into the mountains far away from a socket……lol well anyway off he went. Deep into the back country, for a weekend away. No issues going in, once in the camp ground he reports the truck had a 60 percent charge. They spent 3 days and two nights. The temp at night dropped into the low thirty’s. Sunday afternoon time to leave, battery reports 22 percent charge, truck is on limp mode. I hooked up a 30kw generator on a trailer and off I went. Spent half the day charging then home we came, he is selling the truck as he now realized it more a toy than a real truck.

spARTacus

Is your freind quite wealthy to have been able to afford buying it without first enough confidence that it was going to work for his needs, easily able to absorb the significant depreciation for now selling it?

Justgeeee

Can confirm, definitely a toy and I looooooooove it. Its a truck that drives like a sports car.... Sports mode is stupidly awesomely exciting. An adult male can fit in the frunk of the car. I am near Washington DC and the weather has been averaging in the 50s. Just like with the Mach-E we don't charge to 100% we charge the Mach-E to 80% but since the truck is a beast went with 90%. The first charge was during the day after using it a while and when it reached 90% it said 178 miles to empty. Did in early morning charge recently and only said 145 miles to empty when it got to 90%. On the Lightning Forums some people are posting up to 300 miles to empty (warm climate). Cold weather is hard on these things but luckily there are more than plenty of chargers around me so no need to worry about running low on juice. Ford provides roadside assistance if you need some juice in the US, not sure about Canada, from the sounds of it I am guessing no, or your friend did not know about it. A lot of the trucks features confuse me because it has 240V plugs and 120V plugs (I might have wrote that incorrectly) in the cabin, and trunk of the car, with how fast it drains the battery seems really dumb to make more ways to drain it. There about 10 different outlets from USB, micro USB even a wireless charging pad in the cabin itself. The one we have does not have Blue Cruise (auto pilot) but it has lane assist, as long as you keep your hand on the wheel the truck pretty much drives itself. The biggest disappointment which is understandable is no noise when you turn it on since, you know, no engine. The hum it makes though is growing on me. Cant wait for the summer and for my wife to get her Mach-E back from the garage. Just got the last part needed for the repairs so hopefully we can see how they stack up head to head soon enough.

idssteve

Well he bought this truck as a way to be green. No thought about his going into the mountains far away from a socket……lol well anyway off he went. Deep into the back country, for a weekend away. No issues going in, once in the camp ground he reports the truck had a 60 percent charge. They spent 3 days and two nights. The temp at night dropped into the low thirty’s. Sunday afternoon time to leave, battery reports 22 percent charge, truck is on limp mode. I hooked up a 30kw generator on a trailer and off I went. Spent half the day charging then home we came, he is selling the truck as he now realized it more a toy than a real truck.
Well, charging a 100+KWH battery with 30KW Genny would demand several hrs at LEAST.. Loll. That 30KW Genny likely powered with 40+ HP ice?

Charging that same 100+KWH battery in 1/2 hr would demand 200KW Genny! 1/4 hr demands 400KW! From Genny or grid...

Few folks really appreciate the scale of electric demand for charging BIG batts FAST. A typical 50A residential range or RV outlet can deliver 50A x 240V = 12KW. A typical 200A single phase residential service can deliver 200A x 240V = 48KW. Assuming unity power factor.

Diverting an entire residential home's 200A service capacity into charging a 100KWH battery demands 100KWH / 48KW = 2+ hrs. Or plugging into a 50A range or RV outlet demands 100KWH / 12KW = 8+ hrs. All assuming best case 100% efficiency charging, etc.

Charging that 100KWH battery from typical 15A wall outlet... 15A x 120v = 1.8KW. 100KWH / 1.8KW = 55+hrs.

These things represent significant gid capacity challenges. They are NOT cell phones! Lol

I'm wondering what field service SOP is? If you call Ford, or Tesla, or AAA, or? What's standard response? Do they attempt jump start with portable 400KW Genny? Just tow it? Or?

Really believe swappable batteries could permit service restoration in minutes. ?. Also allow more leisured charging at industrial zoned facilities? Handling equipment design pretty critical for batts that heavy, tho.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Well, charging a 100+KWH battery with 30KW Genny would demand several hrs at LEAST.. Loll. That 30KW Genny likely powered with 40+ HP ice?

Charging that same 100+KWH battery in 1/2 hr would demand 200KW Genny! 1/4 hr demands 400KW! From Genny or grid...

Few folks really appreciate the scale of electric demand for charging BIG batts FAST. A typical 50A residential range or RV outlet can deliver 50A x 240V = 12KW. A typical 200A single phase residential service can deliver 200A x 240V = 48KW. Assuming unity power factor.

Diverting an entire residential home's 200A service capacity into charging a 100KWH battery demands 100KWH / 48KW = 2+ hrs. Or plugging into a 50A range or RV outlet demands 100KWH / 12KW = 8+ hrs. All assuming best case 100% efficiency charging, etc.

Charging that 100KWH battery from typical 15A wall outlet... 15A x 120v = 1.8KW. 100KWH / 1.8KW = 55+hrs.

These things represent significant gid capacity challenges. They are NOT cell phones! Lol

I'm wondering what field service SOP is? If you call Ford, or Tesla, or AAA, or? What's standard response? Do they attempt jump start with portable 400KW Genny? Just tow it? Or?

Really believe swappable batteries could permit service restoration in minutes. ?. Also allow more leisured charging at industrial zoned facilities? Handling equipment design pretty critical for batts that heavy, tho.
Yup a beautiful 4 cylinder diesel engine. 8 hours and he had just enough to get to a hotel and charge over night.
funny you ask in the book from Ford it is not recommended that the truck get towed. Flatbed to dealer certified only.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Can confirm, definitely a toy and I looooooooove it. Its a truck that drives like a sports car.... Sports mode is stupidly awesomely exciting. An adult male can fit in the frunk of the car. I am near Washington DC and the weather has been averaging in the 50s. Just like with the Mach-E we don't charge to 100% we charge the Mach-E to 80% but since the truck is a beast went with 90%. The first charge was during the day after using it a while and when it reached 90% it said 178 miles to empty. Did in early morning charge recently and only said 145 miles to empty when it got to 90%. On the Lightning Forums some people are posting up to 300 miles to empty (warm climate). Cold weather is hard on these things but luckily there are more than plenty of chargers around me so no need to worry about running low on juice. Ford provides roadside assistance if you need some juice in the US, not sure about Canada, from the sounds of it I am guessing no, or your friend did not know about it. A lot of the trucks features confuse me because it has 240V plugs and 120V plugs (I might have wrote that incorrectly) in the cabin, and trunk of the car, with how fast it drains the battery seems really dumb to make more ways to drain it. There about 10 different outlets from USB, micro USB even a wireless charging pad in the cabin itself. The one we have does not have Blue Cruise (auto pilot) but it has lane assist, as long as you keep your hand on the wheel the truck pretty much drives itself. The biggest disappointment which is understandable is no noise when you turn it on since, you know, no engine. The hum it makes though is growing on me. Cant wait for the summer and for my wife to get her Mach-E back from the garage. Just got the last part needed for the repairs so hopefully we can see how they stack up head to head soon enough.
I agree 100 percent, he knew about support but was using it like a real truck. These basically are expensive toys. When my 2500D with the four speed automatic and it is 4 wheel drive (auto) it get on a full tank of diesel 430 miles to the fill up and a 10 min stop to fill. They will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Ph1llip

I've said it before and I'll say it again 😁. BEV's make perfect sense for metropolitan/suburban driving. The avarage American drives about 30-40 miles a day. As STCo has also ably demonstrated just recently, they also make sense for long range, planned-stop, flexible-schedule driving. They only don't make sense for any type of performance driving (track, haulage, backcountry etc.).

If the darn things weren't so expensive currently, I'd have bought one months ago 🤪.

idssteve

Sounds like what many people on CrackBerry used to say.
Some clients and coworkers have joked about burying me with Bold in left hand. Lol. Some scheme to keep it powered up, also? Just incase I want to add anything, I guess? Lmao.

idssteve

Yup a beautiful 4 cylinder diesel engine. 8 hours and he had just enough to get to a hotel and charge over night.
funny you ask in the book from Ford it is not recommended that the truck get towed. Flatbed to dealer certified only.
Did it permit customizing charge rate? So you could use the whole 30kW gen? Or was it stuck at L2 or?

SteinwayTransitCorp

Before I went to save him I took his charger off the wall in his garage, so it was a factory charge……..I told him he gets to reinstall the charger on his own…lmao

idssteve

Before I went to save him I took his charger off the wall in his garage, so it was a factory charge……..I told him he gets to reinstall the charger on his own…lmao
Notice breaker size feeding it?

Edit: here's a link. 80A L2? Installation instructions spec a 100A breaker. 24KW at 240V. Your 30kw genny was about right. imo.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Notice breaker size feeding it?

Edit: here's a link. 80A L2? Installation instructions spec a 100A breaker. 24KW at 240V. Your 30kw genny was about right. imo.

Here’s what I find owning an EV and now working to save one. What the brochure claims and what you find in the real world are far apart……lmao

idssteve

Lol... Failure to respect new technology learning curve has proven folly time after time... Who needed life boats on an "unsinkable" vessel, 111yrs ago? Lol

Applying a tool to its optimal use case typically proves most "optimal". Loll. I once watched a fellow drop his hammer from his roof. I jumped the fence and retrieved it for him. Preparing to toss it to him, he waved me off and headed down ladder. He'd impatiently driven that final nail with the handle of his Skill saw! ug! Optimal? Lol.

I helped him swap bearings in that saw a couple yrs later. Coincidence? Lol

Marketing guys frequently push best case scenario. THIS engineer designs around worst case. Plus margin of SAFETY. Enjoyed an embarrassingly profitable career following and fixing "best case engineering". Lol

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Lol... Failure to respect new technology learning curve has proven folly time after time... Who needed life boats on an "unsinkable" vessel, 111yrs ago? Lol

Applying a tool to its optimal use case typically proves most "optimal". Loll. I once watched a fellow drop his hammer from his roof. I jumped the fence and retrieved it for him. Preparing to toss it to him, he waved me off and headed down ladder. He'd impatiently driven that final nail with the handle of his Skill saw! ug! Optimal? Lol.

I helped him swap bearings in that saw a couple yrs later. Coincidence? Lol

Marketing guys frequently push best case scenario. THIS engineer designs around worst case. Plus margin of SAFETY. Enjoyed an embarrassingly profitable career following and fixing "best case engineering". Lol
well yesterday GM announces that the V8 is not only not dead, but new and improved engines are on the way…..lmao.