A question to people who think the EV is the future

SteinwayTransitCorp

As I watch the evacuation of Yellowknife long lines of cars. My question is this, if these people all had EV’s what would happen? Same question for Florida or now California, in an emergency the grid is usually the first to fail. With Ice cars you can still fill and go from tanker trucks, as is happening in Canada?

Chuck Finley69

As I watch the evacuation of Yellowknife long lines of cars. My question is this, if these people all had EV’s what would happen? Same question for Florida or now California, in an emergency the grid is usually the first to fail. With Ice cars you can still fill and go from tanker trucks, as is happening in Canada?
============================
Will you quit with the pesky details. Unnecessary sacrifices for all the wrong reasons have to be made per the Chairman's orders

SteinwayTransitCorp

============================
Will you quit with the pesky details. Unnecessary sacrifices for all the wrong reasons have to be made per the Chairman's orders
LMAO……….so true

I heard on the news that there is exactly one (1) gas station that services the single road on the 100 miles out of Yellowknife. So far it it's held up. Good for them, brave, hard-working, self sacrificing. But I think that's what called a Hub and Spoke network as opposed to a distributed supply system like hydro. If one node goes out the whole network is shot and everybody in the lineup will be burned to a crisp. What Mark Twain called putting all your egos in one basket.

Feel free to make any factual or conceptual corrections; after all I haven't bothered to check my source. It's only a forum. And I have other work to do, other places to be.

Chuck Finley69

I heard on the news that there is exactly one (1) gas station that services the single road on the 100 miles out of Yellowknife. So far it it's held up. Good for them, brave, hard-working, self sacrificing. But I think that's what called a Hub and Spoke network as opposed to a distributed supply system like hydro. If one node goes out the whole network is shot and everybody in the lineup will be burned to a crisp. What Mark Twain called putting all your egos in one basket.

Feel free to make any factual or conceptual corrections; after all I haven't bothered to check my source. It's only a forum. And I have other work to do, other places to be.
What's the population of Yellowknife? During Hurricane Ian, the population of Charlotte County alone is at least couple of magnitudes larger.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Yes the station is holding up, but they are also fueling vehicles direct from fuel trucks to keep the road moving…. Petroleum can be moved around stored easily and when required pumped out without electricity with a manual pumps. An EV great for starting fires

Ph1llip

Peasants. I would have an EV PLANE! It would have a range of...oh wait, never mind.

spARTacus

The transition to EVs is only just starting, and therefore yes there's bound to be lots of situations where EVs will not right now be as reliable as ICEs currently are. That overall, has already been discussed.

SteinwayTransitCorp

The transition to EVs is only just starting, and therefore yes there's bound to be lots of situations where EVs will not right now be as reliable as ICEs currently are. That overall, has already been discussed.
One problem the idiots in charge are pushing this way ahead of the curve. Wait until one of these EV’s catch fire in a tunnel, then the fun will begin

Ph1llip

One problem the idiots in charge are pushing this way ahead of the curve. Wait until one of these EV’s catch fire in a tunnel, then the fun will begin
Or a garage. With the master bedroom just above it LOL. Or a basement car park. Safest way is to put the wallbox outside. But you're screwed in winter :LOL:.

Ph1llip

One more big reason not to own them until the infrastructure built out first.
I don't think it'll ever get built out. The country's just way too big. It works in small countries in Europe but that's about it. Canada and Australia have the worst end of the stick, big countries with small populations and therefore, no critical mass or efficiencies of scale. It will only ever be a city slicker sort of thing.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I don't think it'll ever get built out. The country's just way too big. It works in small countries in Europe but that's about it. Canada and Australia have the worst end of the stick, big countries with small populations and therefore, no critical mass or efficiencies of scale. It will only ever be a city slicker sort of thing.
The US is the same, their are vast regions with no gas stations let a place to plug in

spARTacus

I also remember when when they said "..someone is going to end-up getting killed or murdered because of how we have all rapidly adopted social media without proper considerations and controls for the possible impacts."

Ph1llip

If that would happen to be the eventual fate, which I don't believe will be the case, then even that would be a plus.
It's already its current fate. EV's are quite happily running around the burbs with the occasional planned-like-a-military-op interstate trip.

Ph1llip

I also remember when when they said "..someone is going to end-up getting killed or murdered because of how we have all rapidly adopted social media without proper considerations and controls for the possible impacts."
Comparing social media to EV's is absurd. One is a cultural phenomenon, the other is a tangible machine subject to the laws of physics. The logical link is non-existent. As to either causing death, that is also a non correlational argument. EV's have already killed people (albeit usually with the help of the driver's carelessness or stupidity). I have yet to see an app itself kill someone. SkyNet isn't here yet :ROFLMAO:.

spARTacus

...EV's are quite happily running around the burbs with the occasional planned-like-a-military-op interstate trip.
Yeah it's a pretty neat current reality eh? Just think of all those ICEs that now aren't being used. When it starts even further expanding, and it will take time and there will be lots of growing pains along the way, it'll be even better.

Last edited: