And more good news about Green energy ! !

howarmat

Yep Friday was horrible. We thankfully didnt have have to cut any load and were able to provide some extra energy to TVA and PJM both. But it was not pretty as lots of our gas did get cut as well. PJM even scheduled lower voltage to make it through. Havent seen that done in the almost 20 years I have been in the business

SteinwayTransitCorp

In the end, if we do not smarten up, this is only gonna get worse. The other thing that keeps me up at night is the attacks on substations. It seems to be hopping on a regular basis and nobody really cares. I think it’s a prelude to something bad coming our way.

howarmat

In the end, if we do not smarten up, this is only gonna get worse. The other thing that keeps me up at night is the attacks on substations. It seems to be hopping on a regular basis and nobody really cares. I think it’s a prelude to something bad coming our way.
They are the easiest target obviously. Its a known blindspot but the events a month or so ago brought it to light even more.

SteinwayTransitCorp

...which the DOE or Homeland will do absolutely nothing about.
Not only will they do nothing, but when they do move it will be to form a whole new agency full of idiots.The DOE and DOT come to mind, oh thats right the heads check the right boxes but for brains..............LMAO

idssteve

Clients ALL over were asked to shutdown. Some employees appreciated a Christmas break. Lol. Midwest systems were maxed. Many mini muni ICE gens were curtailed from NG. Forcing oil. Many were sweating next transport delivery. One facility literally shut down with dry tanks. No good for diesel injection on RICE.

A client in Nashville complained of blackouts. Nothing on "news". Anyone else hear?

Grid capacity proves very threshold. NO one notices while grid enjoys adequate capacity most of the time. Pull a single KW beyond and... lights out. USA's historic power adequacy has evaporated. Little surplus to draw on when stressed. That few days of "stress tests" showed it up.

Some production, like blow or injection production, prove a real pain to clean up when shut off hot. Lol

Ph1llip

Clients ALL over were asked to shutdown. Some employees appreciated a Christmas break. Lol. Midwest systems were maxed. Many mini muni ICE gens were curtailed from NG. Forcing oil. Many were sweating next transport delivery. One facility literally shut down with dry tanks. No good for diesel injection on RICE.

A client in Nashville complained of blackouts. Nothing on "news". Anyone else hear?

Grid capacity proves very threshold. NO one notices while grid enjoys adequate capacity most of the time. Pull a single KW beyond and... lights out. USA's historic power adequacy has evaporated. Little surplus to draw on when stressed. That few days of "stress tests" showed it up.

Some production, like blow or injection production, prove a real pain to clean up when shut off hot. Lol
The DOE now stands for Department of Eggheads...

idssteve

The DOE now stands for Department of Eggheads...
Lol... Jimmie's promise of a "NASA Style" department of energy RESEARCH influenced my career choice AND voting. 1976. Sadly, Tip and Ted betrayed, bait and switched, and generally derailed ANYthing that might TRULY prove GOOD for USA. Imo.

To portray SOME of bloated bureaucracy as "Benedict Arnold" sympathy really proves understated. imo.

Much of mini muni historic reliability depended on seldom used but essential RICE generation. To fill in when grid fell short. Some of those beasts weren't started for years. But munis proved grateful when needed. Sometimes just a few hours every few years. RICE NESHAP EPA rules triggered retirement of MANY of those seldom used beasts. Rules derived thru court system "negotiated collusion" imo.

Texas got the headlines a couple years ago but much Midwest proved tooth skin from collapse. Much capacity margin that those seldom used RICE gennies historically afforded has evaporated with retirement and scrapping.. Here we are.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Lol... Jimmie's promise of a "NASA Style" department of energy RESEARCH influenced my career choice AND voting. 1976. Sadly, Tip and Ted betrayed, bait and switched, and generally derailed ANYthing that might TRULY prove GOOD for USA. Imo.

To portray SOME of bloated bureaucracy as "Benedict Arnold" sympathy really proves understated. imo.

Much of mini muni historic reliability depended on seldom used but essential RICE generation. To fill in when grid fell short. Some of those beasts weren't started for years. But munis proved grateful when needed. Sometimes just a few hours every few years. RICE NESHAP EPA rules triggered retirement of MANY of those seldom used beasts. Rules derived thru court system "negotiated collusion" imo.

Texas got the headlines a couple years ago but much Midwest proved tooth skin from collapse. Much capacity margin that those seldom used RICE gennies historically afforded has evaporated with retirement and scrapping.. Here we are.
Could not have said it better, once again the old adage is right: “ I’m from the government and I am here to help” nothing more frightening

idssteve

Could not have said it better, once again the old adage is right: “ I’m from the government and I am here to help” nothing more frightening
Well, saying it is one thing. I serve TOO many clients in too many mini munis who must LIVE with some really numb skull choices. I'm totally for CLEAN air. Many of these mini muni RICE gennies date to the 30s! They're NOT ran unless absolutely needed. They're paid off but still a valued asset, as is. Replacing with "modern" is prohibitive since every citizen's rates must pay for the equipment. Equipment that simply has no need other than every few years, historically.

The silliness of it is that these beasts barely warm up over the few hours they're needed. They frequently fail to achieve catalyst "light off" during the brief period needed. Meaning the oxicat is not cleaning ANYthing. WHILE plugging catalyst elements that frequently must be removed and sent for washing. A bucket truck operation, sometimes. A $1/2M waste that mini muni citizens are paying for NO cleaner air. $$ that could have been applied to maintenance, injection upgrades, etc. Many munis just scrapped the old engines. Perhaps for better AND worse but...? here we are.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Do you know the funniest thing we used to have happened at the bus company. We had heaters installed, In every transit bus, this way, when the temperature dipped below 30 we did not have to leave them running all night. That was great except the drivers with jumping in the morning and pull away and you would hear snap has the cord got ripped out of the stand. That lasted about four weeks. It was cheaper and easier to leave them running all night.

idssteve

Do you know the funniest thing we used to have happened at the bus company. We had heaters installed, In every transit bus, this way, when the temperature dipped below 30 we did not have to leave them running all night. That was great except the drivers with jumping in the morning and pull away and you would hear snap has the cord got ripped out of the stand. That lasted about four weeks. It was cheaper and easier to leave them running all night.
LOL... i route block heater extension cord over driver's mirror so it impedes entry without unplugging. Forgetful myself. lol. Surely Tesla et al implements alarms or interlocks to prevent forgotten cable yank? Of course as a pilot, my first thought was check list... lol

Detroit likely improved oil control since my experiences but leaving two strokes idle all night was a recipe for morning "slobbering" in my day. Two stroke Detroits historically depended on manifold pressure as partial strategy for oil control. 53-71-92-110-149 oil rings are all below cylinder inlet ports. No much manifold pressure at idle. Two strokes already run "half load" of comparably sized rpm "stroke wasters". (aka 4 strokes. lol)

Pretty common for Kettering designs (Detroit, EMD, etc) to close exhaust valves late. Bleeding off cylinder pressure "Atkinson effect" while cooling exhaust valves. Makes for VERY clean but cool exhaust. Too cool for catalyst "light off" at light loads. Light loads as experienced while generating during winter time outage emergency. As last week? lol

SteinwayTransitCorp

LOL... i route block heater extension cord over driver's mirror so it impedes entry without unplugging. Forgetful myself. lol. Surely Tesla et al implements alarms or interlocks to prevent forgotten cable yank? Of course as a pilot, my first thought was check list... lol

Detroit likely improved oil control since my experiences but leaving two strokes idle all night was a recipe for morning "slobbering" in my day. Two stroke Detroits historically depended on manifold pressure as partial strategy for oil control. 53-71-92-110-149 oil rings are all below cylinder inlet ports. No much manifold pressure at idle. Two strokes already run "half load" of comparably sized rpm "stroke wasters". (aka 4 strokes. lol)

Pretty common for Kettering designs (Detroit, EMD, etc) to close exhaust valves late. Bleeding off cylinder pressure "Atkinson effect" while cooling exhaust valves. Makes for VERY clean but cool exhaust. Too cool for catalyst "light off" at light loads. Light loads as experienced while generating during winter time outage emergency. As last week? lol
Yup, then GM did come up with the clean air package. It basically was the Exhaust now piped up in air lmao

SteinwayTransitCorp

Block heaters. Tutorials.

a Terrible
Block heaters. Tutorials.

nothing here to see, GM regulates the temp and time of there block heaters. The older models had just a temp control. On buses all night was right,

SteinwayTransitCorp

Good news, Andrew Tate taken down by "little" girl! This is so funny and it's true! "[email protected]."

Not funny very sad, a little girl who has issues being used and an man who has real issues. What humor do you see? Well you did see humor in child slave labor.