Climate what’s the story

Chuck Finley69

Your arguments follow closely in theme of Phil. Both of you basically suggest why bother do anything since we could be doomed or waste our efforts in what we do. More sticking of heads in the sand and may as well already nuke ourselves now attitude like you indicated earlier, or like Putin and his threats or China and theirs. Fortunately, the world has people in it that think beyond their own shortest term interests and with a bit more open mindedness, and people who are willing to lead for change for the better. Canada is in pretty good shape in my opinion, in comparison to what seems to still be ripping apart the US from within. I'll take Canada any day over the US, thanks very much.
==================================
There's no burying my head in the sand. I live in a locale where death is simply a constant around us and survival is simply part of life.

The reality is that we're living on the brink of a nuclear war as nuclear power. I live for today and don't worry as much about tomorrow. I'd say you're thinking is similar to an ignorant bliss.

You're next door neighbor will drag you in regardless of what you think or wish. The border is a mere formality amongst the armed nations surrounding you.

spARTacus

There's no burying my head in the sand. I live in a locale where death is simply a constant around us and survival is simply part of life.

The reality is that we're living on the brink of a nuclear war as nuclear power. I live for today and don't worry as much about tomorrow. I'd say you're thinking is similar to an ignorant bliss.

You're next door neighbor will drag you in regardless of what you think or wish. The border is a mere formality amongst the armed nations surrounding you.
Hey I'm not stupid, I am very aware whatever the US does significantly impacts Canada and lots of the rest of the world. It's the reason I (and many Canadians, and many other people also worldwide) pay some attention to what happens in the US and how the US acts. The analogy of sleeping in the same bed with an elephant isn't new.

Saying that one can live for only today and no care for tomorrow, well in my books that's just being selfish, and not the way most humans are. It's not reality either to think we are on the brink of nuclear war. Saying that at maybe a few different times in the past since the end of the second world war would have been accurate. Thinking we are living that every day now and using that to rationalize a current set of thinkings, well in my books that's just more being selfish.

Last edited:
1. Paul, are you actually suggesting that we base our thinking based on what the MAJORITY say? That's one of the dumbest g*ddamn logic concepts I've ever heard of 🤪. Do try to get some independent thinking going, you'll thank me later.

2. Spartz, as usual you are spectacularly wrong on oil. Again :rolleyes:

The problem with you two (or one, I'm never quite sure 😝) is that you appear to have skipped science class in high school. I don't mind, but hey, unless you're living in a thatched hut, grow or hunt your own food, use paper cups and string to talk to people, use a horse by day and candles at night, spare us the pontificating. We already have enough people who think like you in our current (mal) administration 🤪.

Bonus advice: Spartz, don't tell me you didn't watch the video. Part of intelligent debate is reviewing all positions and then proffering a well considered opinion.

Bonus bonus advice: Paul, a long time ago, a freaking big ass asteroid smashed into earth and fried every above ground animal including all the dinosaurs and superheated global climate for decades. And yet here we are. Back to high school science class for you.
Ok, I watched to the end and in the end (about 22 minutes in) he agrees with everything I've ever said. The rest is a drag to listen to, a bunch of already-knew-that stuff, invective, and phrase mongering. Brilliant guy though, I'm sure sure he'll go far.

I thought I'd answer your point as though it was meant to be a serious comment not a frivolous throwaway. But I'll stick to just 2 items, besides noting that nothing in the video addresses or confutes the thing I quoted.

That we had only 26 years life expectancy: he'll know well that that's a statistical distortion of the fact that those estimated lifespans are skewed by early childhood mortality. Take those out of the data and you get Sophocles living to 90, Plato to 80 and Methuselah to 969.

You can see it yourself if you walk through any old churchyard, child after child dying before 5 (imagine having children then) among old farmers living into their 80's.

Also he thinks all politicianss are greedy shits. I'm not him but I've met (and volunteered for a few) half a dozen or more over the years and while they didn't seem like angels or modern saints my impression of most of them was they're basically decent people. Only an impression but I'll trust my vibe over what a populist YouTuber says. We shouldn't automatically assume they're all in it for themselves like Donald Trump. It's villainous to tar them all with that brush.

But I dunno. Can't tell what point you're really making.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Ok, I watched to the end and in the end (about 22 minutes in) he agrees with everything I've ever said. The rest is a drag to listen to, a bunch of already-knew-that stuff, invective, and phrase mongering. Brilliant guy though, I'm sure sure he'll go far.

I thought I'd answer your point as though it was meant to be a serious comment not a frivolous throwaway. But I'll stick to just 2 items, besides noting that nothing in the video addresses or confutes the thing I quoted.

That we had only 26 years life expectancy: he'll know well that that's a statistical distortion of the fact that those estimated lifespans are skewed by early childhood mortality. Take those out of the data and you get Sophocles living to 90, Plato to 80 and Methuselah to 969.

You can see it yourself if you walk through any old churchyard, child after child dying before 5 (imagine having children then) among old farmers living into their 80's.

Also he thinks all politicianss are greedy shits. I'm not him but I've met (and volunteered for a few) half a dozen or more over the years and while they didn't seem like angels or modern saints my impression of most of them was they're basically decent people. Only an impression but I'll trust my vibe over what a populist YouTuber says. We shouldn't automatically assume they're all in it for themselves like Donald Trump. It's villainous to tar them all with that brush.

But I dunno. Can't tell what point you're really making.
What’s your point

SteinwayTransitCorp

Naive and narrow mindedness again, to assume that your opinions and viewpoints are automatically only the most correct in comparison to the opinions and viewpoints of others.
Listen your the one who believes whatever your government tells you, you love word salads. Yam offspring

SteinwayTransitCorp

Feel free to specifically challenge any of my logic.

I remain content with my logic for the earlier statements about crime and NYC and EBikes and dumpster fires:
- your white washing NYC as a dumpster fire due to its current crime was an attempt by you to discredit the enjoyment NYC citizens were having for their copious successful EV bikes and usage
- the crime situation in NYC was not as bad as you were making it out to be, as experienced and seen first hand by me when I was recently there
- you would have had to first left NYC in the 50s or 60s after growing up, for the murder rate to be greater now than back then, for the dramatic comparison you were trying to establish
Your logic is breath taking, the mob must be right. By your thought process the world must be flat, after all that was the general consensus at one point……lmao.

you fail to address things you do not like, such as: in 1970 scientific consensus is, we are all going to freeze to death in less than 20 years. Soon after the hockey stick graft comes out we are all going to burn to death in 10 years now the world is on fire and we all going to die again in another 10 years. And we should base everything we do and live by on these idiots, I actually feel sorry for people like you. .

SteinwayTransitCorp

Like I posted long ago (but you also either failed to read or chose to ignore), I believe that cleaner burning fossil fuel ICEs would be great as part of many different steps and efforts for movement away from our current fossil fuels use.
Do you bass moving away from fossil fuels on science which is not proven. We base all of our science on a very short time frame. How old is the Earth? How many times has the Climate completely changed? Yeah now we are to believe man cannot only control the environment. Effect climate, and change it again.

spARTacus

Do you bass moving away from fossil fuels on science which is not proven. We base all of our science on a very short time frame. How old is the Earth? How many times has the Climate completely changed? Yeah now we are to believe man cannot only control the environment. Effect climate, and change it again.
Most scientists in the world agree with the current scientific evidence presented suggesting that humans are causing global warming, and in particular our use/burning of fossil fuels. If you don't want to agree with such, that's your choice. However, there is no credibility to your suggestions that they are wrong and everything you present comes down to a meek attempt to try to continue status quo, probably motivated by (not even to your knowledge) desires for continued retention of weath and power. Like I earlier posted, I'm sure glad that folks in leadership positions worldwide don't think like you.

spARTacus

Listen your the one who believes whatever your government tells you, you love word salads. Yam offspring
I am content with who I believe and who I do not believe. There is lots that I do not support for effectively what is the current "governing Liberal party in Canada", what they say/do and what they want to do. Regardless, I am also very content that I do not believe lots of what you stand for and what you believe in.

spARTacus

Sorry, you are pretty much worthless to listen to on these subjects. So, no luck for you to tell me to follow what you are saying, to adopt your opinions and views points. Maybe it works that way in your country or in your circle but it doesn't generally work that way otherwise. People don't just follow because someone tells them to listen. There actually has to be valid logic and reasoning behind what someone preaches, for others to adopt and agree with such. Good luck with your efforts to tell people what to think and to try to force upon them your opinions and viewpoints. My guess is you realize it's not working out well for you elsewhere either, and that's why you keep trying here in CB to this very small limited audience, some hold out of hope you have that you will have some success via a smaller crowd.

spARTacus

What’s your point
I think Paul will have to answer, but from what I read Paul indicated that there didn't seem to be a clear point in what Phil had posted for the video.

One has to actually be able to read the posts and digest what is written, to be able to conclude something like that. If when reading anything more than a few lines, if everything then turns into a word salad for you, then I guess it makes sense that you'd not be able to conclude such.

Chuck Finley69

Hey I'm not stupid, I am very aware whatever the US does significantly impacts Canada and lots of the rest of the world. It's the reason I (and many Canadians, and many other people also worldwide) pay some attention to what happens in the US and how the US acts. The analogy of sleeping in the same bed with an elephant isn't new. Saying that one can live for only today and no care for tomorrow, well in my books that's just being selfish, and not the way most humans are. It's not reality either to think we are on the brink of nuclear war. Saying that at maybe a few different times in the past since the end of the second world war would have been accurate. Thinking we are living that every day now and using that to rationalize a current set of thinkings, well in my books that's just more being selfish.

====================================

Selfish perhaps, however it's reality for all of us and our kids. We're living in another nuclear cold war era with all the same players as before plus some extra members that are religiously and ideologically driven

SteinwayTransitCorp

Sorry, you are pretty much worthless to listen to on these subjects. So, no luck for you to tell me to follow what you are saying, to adopt your opinions and views points. Maybe it works that way in your country or in your circle but it doesn't generally work that way otherwise. People don't just follow because someone tells them to listen. There actually has to be valid logic and reasoning behind what someone preaches, for others to adopt and agree with such. Good luck with your efforts to tell people what to think and to try to force upon them your opinions and viewpoints. My guess is you realize it's not working out well for you elsewhere either, and that's why you keep trying here in CB to this very small limited audience, some hold out of hope you have that you will have some success via a smaller crowd.
You adopt to nothing, you blow past factual statements and then tell us it does not seem that way/feel/I have not experienced it. Your word salads are really sad.

spARTacus

Selfish perhaps, however it's reality for all of us and our kids. We're living in another nuclear cold war era with all the same players as before plus some extra members that are religiously and ideologically driven
I don't think we're living in the same situation as height or peak of risk of nuclear war from the cold war. I think China and Russia nowadays are just wanting control of their own ability to prosper, have wealth and survival of their ways and identity, free of threat over such from western ways (dominated by US influence), which has basically continued to expand since end of the USSR. All of that nowadays I think is pretty clearly different than cold war of the past. Heck we're basically almost still integrated with China for manufacturing and economics (not much of that happened with USSR of the past), and until recently as a result of the Ukraine situation we even enjoyed a fair bit of exchange with Russia.

Sure there's lots of extreme religiously non-christian driven ideology, but lots of that is also response reaction to spehere of western and US influence. If anything, lots of that has probably been somewhat tapered and managed since 9-11 by counter efforts focused around foreign presence in Afghanistan and Iraq, and then also the whole rallying around ISIS. However, that's not really the brink of nuclear war type threats. Neither is the extreme religious driven ideology of the other kind, internal from the US, which from some aspects is perhaps just as scary as the other.

spARTacus

You adopt to nothing, you blow past factual statements and then tell us it does not seem that way/feel/I have not experienced it. Your word salads are really sad.
Pretty sure you have zero clue about what I have adopted to over my life, other than how I have approached for replying and responding to posts in here, for which you don't seem to have developed very good insight either. Like I said earlier, feel free to specifically challenge aspects of what or how I post and it's on you if you can't follow, if you don't communicate effectively, or if you don't like what results from the postings and therefore if you feel a need to employ name calling by refering to my posts as word salads.

Last edited:

Chuck Finley69

I don't think we're living in the same situation as height or peak of risk of nuclear war from the cold war. I think China and Russia nowadays are just wanting control of their own ability to prosper, have wealth and survival of their ways and identity, free of threat over such from western ways (dominated by US influence), which has basically continued to expand since end of the USSR. All of that nowadays I think is pretty clearly different than cold war of the past. Heck we're basically almost still integrated with China for manufacturing and economics (not much of that happened with USSR of the past), and until recently as a result of the Ukraine situation we even enjoyed a fair bit of exchange with Russia. Sure there's lots of extreme religiously non-christian driven ideology, but lots of that is also response reaction to spehere of western and US influence. If anything, lots of that has probably been somewhat tapered and managed since 9-11 by counter efforts focused around foreign presence in Afghanistan and Iraq, and then also the whole rallying around ISIS. However, that's not really the brink of nuclear war type threats. Neither is the extreme religious driven ideology of the other kind, internal from the US, which from some aspects is perhaps just as scary as the other.

====================================

What about Iran, North Korea, Pakistan and there lack of deference to BRICS which 3 have nuclear weapons and you only covered 2 of those? I really think you're refusing to look at just how much things have changed recently. Just in the Ukraine, is your biggest proof of just how close we're all to another global full-scale war.