New issues with the EV, this is what happens when the government picks a winner

SteinwayTransitCorp

A scratched or slightly damaged electric battery might be enough for some insurers to write off entire cars, as for many electric vehicles there is no way to repair battery packs after collisions.

OAs a result, the consumer — who likely acquired an electric vehicle wanting to reduce monthly costs — faces higher premiums and some countries are starting to see electric vehicle batteries piling up in scrapyards, according to Reuters

Matthew Avery, research director at automotive risk intelligence company Thatcham Research, said the goal of electric vehicles was sustainability, but a lack of reparability is creating a whole new problem.

We're buying electric cars for sustainability reasons," Avery said, Reuters reported. "But an EV isn't very sustainable if you've got to throw the battery away after a minor collision."

These battery packs can also cost tens of thousands of dollars, representing as much as 50% of an EV's price tag. This also makes replacing batteries uneconomical.

These cars also pile up in scrapyards, usually with low mileage, exacerbating the problem.

According to Reuters, EV salvage sales in the U.S. and Europe includes low-mileage Teslas, Nissan Motor Co, Hyundai Motor Co, Stellantis, BMW, Renault and others.

Unless reparability in EV batteries is addressed and fixed, the pile-ups will increase — and so too, will premiums, experts predict.

Christoph Lauterwasser, managing director of the Allianz Center for Technology, a research institute owned by Allianz, called addressing the issue "crucial."

The number of cases is going to increase, so the handling of batteries is a crucial point," Lauterwasser said.

EVs need to be driven for thousands of miles before the extra emissions used to create them, which are more than fossil-fuel models, are offset. Should these EVs be scrapped before they reach that off-setting figure, they have more of an environmental impact than the cars they are attempting to replace.

He added: "If you throw away the vehicle at an early stage, you've lost pretty much all advantage in terms of CO2 emissions."

Many carmakers have argued their battery packs are repairable but many car repair shops, insurers, and leasing companies are not aware of the data, spurring some legal fights.

EVs are however loaded with safety features, so they have fewer accidents than traditional cars, insurers and industry experts have noted.

Policygenius, an online brokerage, reported the average U.S. monthly EV insurance payment is approximately $206, or 27% higher than a combustion-engine model.

by Lawrence Richard fox business

spARTacus

All of that sucks. Lots of waste if not adequately managed. Wonder how long before third/fourth scrap parts and reclaim industries emerge around all of it? Some of those probably already now exist, no? Maybe some just needs to take a bit more time before it gets fully established. Seems like an opportune time for lots of people to make money, no? The EV revolution. Wonder how many situations of such existed during the industrial revolution?

SteinwayTransitCorp

All of that sucks. Lots of waste if not adequately managed. Wonder how long before third/fourth scrap parts and reclaim industries emerge around all of it? Some of those probably already now exist, no? Maybe some just needs to take a bit more time before it gets fully established. Seems like an opportune time for lots of people to make money, no? The EV revolution. Wonder how many situations of such existed during the industrial revolution?
The big issue and that why cars get junked is liability, no one wants to take responsibility if a fixed car/battery to start a fire

SteinwayTransitCorp

That'll eventually change. The batteries they'll eventually find ways of better reclaiming and recycling down to bare materials.
Yes, it may eventually change, but what if it doesn’t, once again, this is about feeling good with no basis in fact. An EV is basically an expensive facemask..

Ph1llip

Good video about the kaboom factor of all things EV (Warning: presenter is Australian and quite irreverent. But also very funny)

spARTacus

Yes, it may eventually change, but what if it doesn’t, once again, this is about feeling good with no basis in fact. An EV is basically an expensive facemask..
What if climate change is going to kill all of us unless we start acting now? So you are in the camp of not caring because it isn't beneficial or impacting to your lifetime? I guess you don't care about your offspring and future generations? I guess you want status quo now (with regards to continued dependency on fossil fuels), not willing to experience and expose yourself to some impact and pain now for the benefit of future generations not having to experience catastrophic impacts/pain later?

As for facemasks and COVID, etc...., similar questions in terms of if you were willing to suffer the inconvenience of face masks and restrictions for the benefit of those that didn't have to die? I guess your position on COVID facemasks and restrictions would be quite different if COVID happened to have taken a slightly different course and if it would have ended up down one of the paths that would have seen it as a way more massive killer than it turned out, things that no one knew where it was going back at the start of COVID and even with where some of the mutated variant could have evolved towards? I guess your view on that is also just a take chances approach and see how many actually die before taking action? I think the government's did the best they could with the whole COVID situation.

SteinwayTransitCorp

What if climate change is going to kill all of us unless we start acting now? So you are in the camp of not caring because it isn't beneficial or impacting to your lifetime? I guess you don't care about your offspring and future generations? I guess you want status quo now (with regards to continued dependency on fossil fuels), not willing to experience and expose yourself to some impact and pain now for the benefit of future generations not having to experience catastrophic impacts/pain later?

As for facemasks and COVID, etc...., similar questions in terms of if you were willing to suffer the inconvenience of face masks and restrictions for the benefit of those that didn't have to die? I guess your position on COVID facemasks and restrictions would be quite different if COVID happened to have taken a slightly different course and if it would have ended up down one of the paths that would have seen it as a way more massive killer than it turned out, things that no one knew where it was going back at the start of COVID and even with where some of the mutated variant could have evolved towards? I guess your view on that is also just a take chances approach and see how many actually die before taking action? I think the government's did the best they could with the whole COVID situation.
Here is the problem every few years I hear the same garbage this is it, 5 years to go……then poof nothing. This is about control and money nothing more or less. Covid was the control test, there are groups of people who want to be controlled. Same as Nazi Germany, “it will be ok, he is not really a bad man” then people getting into box cars, once again it will be ok.

spARTacus

...Covid was the control test, there are groups of people who want to be controlled. Same as Nazi Germany, “it will be ok, he is not really a bad man” then people getting into box cars, once again it will be ok.
So COVID was all a conspiracy? I truly hope you don't actually believe that, since those that do believe such are probably most at risk of blindly following right into box cars.

spARTacus

Here is the problem every few years I hear the same garbage this is it, 5 years to go……then poof nothing...
I don't think that's a valid point, but instead a generalization made to allow things to fit into convenient narratives that suit the purpose of objecting for probably no other reason then objecting, and being a lightening rod for various frustrations that don't otherwise have natural opportunity to be relieved, channelled and vented, and therefore nowadays focused and harnessed for other purposes (and sometimes nowadays destructive purpose). As Steve always said, vent away and have a say so that it doesn't turn into a bottled up need to feel that one must only have one's way (I'm paraphrasing a bit).

Where did Steve go recently anyway? I hope everything is alright with him.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I don't think that's a valid point, but instead a generalization made to allow things to fit into convenient narratives that suit the purpose of objecting for probably no other reason then objecting, and being a lightening rod for various frustrations that don't otherwise have natural opportunity to be relieved, channelled and vented, and therefore nowadays focused and harnessed for other purposes (and sometimes nowadays destructive purpose). As Steve always said, vent away and have a say so that it doesn't turn into a bottled up need to feel that one must only have one's way (I'm paraphrasing a bit).

Sorry I am a science based guy and it does not work out. It is just I science

Ph1llip

You're reaching. He said nothing of the sort. You can take all the precautions you want but don't impose them on the rest of us. Governments will take a mile if you guys them an inch. What is it about the Left who aren't content about believing all their hysterical theories but also want to impose them on everyone else?

Hint: "Climate change" isn't going to kill anyone. I have far more faith in mankind's ingenuity to solve problems. We always have. We always will. Settle down Spartz, the fat lady ain't singing any time soon 🤪.

SteinwayTransitCorp

You're reaching. He said nothing of the sort. You can take all the precautions you want but don't impose them on the rest of us. Governments will take a mile if you guys them an inch. What is it about the Left who aren't content about believing all their hysterical theories but also want to impose them on everyone else?

Hint: "Climate change" isn't going to kill anyone. I have far more faith in mankind's ingenuity to solve problems. We always have. We always will. Settle down Spartz, the fat lady ain't singing any time soon 🤪.
His stance is simple, I want a window seat in the box car. BTW I am beginning to think he is a BOT his answers follow the same thought process without fail.

spARTacus

His stance is simple, I want a window seat in the box car. BTW I am beginning to think he is a BOT his answers follow the same thought process without fail.
Ha. That would be fun/efficient (if we could get a bot to do our postings in here or CB1).

I sense you are no longer enjoying the banter, getting close to name calling and such? Hope not. I think I have tried to leave any emotion out of the thought and posting process, just keep it to straight forward discussion.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Yup a bot, canned answers about? Yup

Chuck Finley69

Typically, former military help with strategic planning before USA bear hugs and occupies a weak neighbor. Since the PRC is attempting takeover of Canada, he's in charge of the ammo dumps strategically placed on USA side of border for Canadian patriots who haven't been transitioned yet...

Ph1llip

Typically, former military help with strategic planning before USA bear hugs and occupies a weak neighbor. Since the PRC is attempting takeover of Canada, he's in charge of the ammo dumps strategically placed on USA side of border for Canadian patriots who haven't been transitioned yet...
ROFL 😆

spARTacus

Amusing to read, but it didn't really make any sense. China's sights are also more about domination control over the US, and guess what, it has proceeding along successfully already way more than anyone seems to wish to admit.

Chuck Finley69

Amusing to read, but it didn't really make any sense. China's sights are also more about domination control over the US, and guess what, it has proceeding along successfully already way more than anyone seems to wish to admit.

=================================

The PRC is taking over Canada for it's shared border proximity to USA specifically. Our citizens have more firearms than anywhere except for, hmmmm, can't think of anywhere else.

Why do you think we all insist on right to bear AR-15s or similar. Have you seen what one can do? When you allow your government to disarm you, then you're already in trouble. Don't worry though, USA would occupy and/or annex Canada to protect ourselves.

spARTacus

....Why do you think we all insist on right to bear AR-15s or similar. Have you seen what one can do? When you allow your government to disarm you, then you're already in trouble. Don't worry though, USA would occupy and/or annex Canada to protect ourselves.
The West is in trouble way differently than because of take-up rates of self arming or not. Continued self arming and polarization will however help things along, increased chances/rate at which we also help to destroy ourselves. After all, why bother trying to invade if destruction can also be facilitated from within.