GM profits hit all time high

SteinwayTransitCorp

Effective method for increasing space... lol

I still marvel at predominant "spray and pray" firefighting strategy onto a live 400+Volt source. Great efforts typically mitigate shock hazard of 800A, 480V MCC for example. Water and electricity CAN prove risky, imo.

Attachments

• 5826BA3F-F3C4-4FA9-BA92-6C0A3FDF8179.jpeg
    5826BA3F-F3C4-4FA9-BA92-6C0A3FDF8179.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 3

idssteve

Effective method for increasing space... lol

I still marvel at predominant "spray and pray" firefighting strategy onto a live 400+Volt source. Great efforts typically mitigate shock hazard of 800A, 480V MCC for example. Water and electricity CAN prove risky, imo.
Loll... Spraying water onto a 400V electrical fire is NOT something I'll willingly "try". Unless someone's life or limb at risk, of course.

idssteve

Loll... Spraying water onto a 400V electrical fire is NOT something I'll willingly "try". Unless someone's life or limb at risk, of course.
Of course my self defined "flower child" wife's parents relate "enjoying" feeling "electricity" thru the mud near a stage at Woodstock... Wife was there also but doesn't recall that feeling. She was NOT "enjoying" lysergic OD, tho. lol Her dad, who commands some stage amplifier experience himself, claims he heard a characteristic "click" when Hendrix touched his guitar's strings... indicating a fouled up neutral bond? IDK. NO way, no how, near 400V, i'd say. lol

THE bug for Wife's parents about GM is that they made a penny profit. Fully ignoring GM's historic, and on going, re-investment into R&D. Including EV. AFAIK, Sloan and Kettering both paid full personal tax rate (sometimes >90%), taking NO, ZERO, deductions, while donating half of what was left to various charities. Including Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. They "played" with what was left. Their list of accomplishments seems utterly impossible, these days. imo. Imagine where they might have guided humanity if they'd been permitted to keep just 10% more of their "profit"? lol

Just ponder what most folks think of as a "modern" locomotive? Might water towers still be a "thang"? ?? And GM really isn't even popularly recognized as "rail"? By most consumers asked, afaik. lol.

Of course EVERYone knows about Edison... by Edison's design? Old adage related by dear old Gramps... "dont get between Edison and a camera..." AND, "dont get between Boss Ket and the back door if a camera's in the room..." lol. Incomprehensibly incompatible personalities? lol

Last edited:
Of course my self defined "flower child" wife's parents relate "enjoying" feeling "electricity" thru the mud near a stage at Woodstock... Wife was there also but doesn't recall that feeling. She was NOT "enjoying" lysergic OD, tho. lol Her dad, who commands some stage amplifier experience himself, claims he heard a characteristic "click" when Hendrix touched his guitar's strings... indicating a fouled up neutral bond? IDK. NO way, no how, near 400V, i'd say. lol

THE bug for Wife's parents about GM is that they made a penny profit. Fully ignoring GM's historic, and on going, re-investment into R&D. Including EV. AFAIK, Sloan and Kettering both paid full personal tax rate (sometimes >90%), taking NO, ZERO, deductions, while donating half of what was left to various charities. Including Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. They "played" with what was left. Their list of accomplishments seems utterly impossible, these days. imo. Imagine where they might have guided humanity if they'd been permitted to keep just 10% more of their "profit"? lol

Just ponder what most folks think of as a "modern" locomotive? Might water towers still be a "thang"? ?? And GM really isn't even popularly recognized as "rail"? By most consumers asked, afaik. lol.

Of course EVERYone knows about Edison... by Edison's design? Old adage related by dear old Gramps... "dont get between Edison and a camera..." AND, "dont get between Boss Ket and the back door if a camera's in the room..." lol. Incomprehensibly incompatible personalities? lol
Electricity!

idssteve

Electricity!

Ha! A "bolt" from warp travel? Lol
Did he ever find Woodstock? Never heard.

"Fiddled" with theremin some myself. Never developed much comfort with subjecting my electro-chemical neural processes to "electric" interaction. Lol Reminiscent of capacitive touch HMI? Lol

interestingly (?) one of the (if not THE) smartest guy I've ever worked with refused to touch anything capacitive hmi. He retired to his home town near Mumbai years ago professing escape from untrusted touch screens. Go figure. Lol

Thru inexcusable calamity of stupidity, ive suffered bites from 240AC and from 125DC. DC dogs bite HARDER! Subjectively at least. Loll.

idssteve

Still contemplating EVF350 config but leaning toward 600VDC nominal batts. Much rail experience over 80+ years with that voltage. Some EV kit motor makers seem okay at 600.

Still struggling to find warm phuzzie disconnect or shutdown with such voltages. Shutting off locomotive 600VDC rotating generator source gets nicely warm phuzzzie by stopping the prime mover's rotation! !! Static sources like batteries no so warm phuzzie stop! Ug

Last edited:

idssteve

Still contemplating EVF350 config but leaning toward 600VDC nominal batts. Much rail experience over 80+ years with that voltage. Some EV kit motor makers seem okay at 600.

Still struggling to find warm phuzzie disconnect or shutdown with such voltages. Shutting off locomotive 600VDC rotating generator source gets nicely warm phuzzzie by stopping the prime mover's rotation! !! Static sources like batteries no so warm phuzzie stop! Ug

Dear Old Gramps frequently pointed out that if you didn't change your mind at least twice, how do ya know you've made the right choice? ?? lol. Further contemplation questions "necessity" of multiple hundreds of volts of battery. Yes, higher voltages reduce amp demands for equivalent KW. Minimal amps permits minimal conductor sizing. I get that. Yet, what advantage derives from smaller conductors? It's not like we're planning to conduct DC current great distances. 20' max? Is the weight and space savings really worth risking sharing space inside a metal box with a dangerous voltage? A dangerous voltage that can't be reasonably shut off? ??

Water emersion can find ways to conduct 400+ volts across contacts, barriers etc after a wreck, for example.

Pondering out loud considering a more shock safer battery voltage. (pardon grammar. One of them moods. lol) I've used 48vdc in off grid home service for 30 yrs. Fatal shock with 48vdc is very rare. I've also used and worked with inverters of almost all description for half century+. Including freq drives. Which is really reminiscent of EV inverter drives. Inverting 48vdc batt into say 480vac variable frequency motor drive is old hat. imo. Inverters CAN be shut off. Leaving only 48VDC as the source that cannot be shut off. Relatively safer 48VDC.

I'm contemplating building inverter and charger into a self contained battery pack. So that ONLY AC enters and exits the pack. AC that CAN be shut off when needed. Given short conductor distances inside the pack, DC conductor sizing wont be so critical. And should the pack get penetrated, with inverters shut off, only 48VDC will remain to pose shock risk... ???

That pack will prove big and heavy! Planning to utilize forklift for swapping my EVF350 packs ANYway. lol.

Chuck Finley69

Dear Old Gramps frequently pointed out that if you didn't change your mind at least twice, how do ya know you've made the right choice? ?? lol. Further contemplation questions "necessity" of multiple hundreds of volts of battery. Yes, higher voltages reduce amp demands for equivalent KW. Minimal amps permits minimal conductor sizing. I get that. Yet, what advantage derives from smaller conductors? It's not like we're planning to conduct DC current great distances. 20' max? Is the weight and space savings really worth risking sharing space inside a metal box with a dangerous voltage? A dangerous voltage that can't be reasonably shut off? ??

Water emersion can find ways to conduct 400+ volts across contacts, barriers etc after a wreck, for example.

Pondering out loud considering a more shock safer battery voltage. (pardon grammar. One of them moods. lol) I've used 48vdc in off grid home service for 30 yrs. Fatal shock with 48vdc is very rare. I've also used and worked with inverters of almost all description for half century+. Including freq drives. Which is really reminiscent of EV inverter drives. Inverting 48vdc batt into say 480vac variable frequency motor drive is old hat. imo. Inverters CAN be shut off. Leaving only 48VDC as the source that cannot be shut off. Relatively safer 48VDC.

I'm contemplating building inverter and charger into a self contained battery pack. So that ONLY AC enters and exits the pack. AC that CAN be shut off when needed. Given short conductor distances inside the pack, DC conductor sizing wont be so critical. And should the pack get penetrated, with inverters shut off, only 48VDC will remain to pose shock risk... ???

That pack will prove big and heavy! Planning to utilize forklift for swapping my EVF350 packs ANYway. lol.
I propose you get a 2023 SD F-450 to F-750 depending on allowable budget.

idssteve

I propose you get a 2023 SD F-450 to F-750 depending on allowable budget.
LOL... Haven't ruled out a heavier vehicle. Much weight will swap out by jettison of 7.3Diesel, Trans and Transfer case. Planning to mount ev motors to both front and rear diff pinions. Clears up a lot of weight and space but... design goal is 2000mi range. 1000 min. F350 might not carry the battery packs. lol

Also, MY F350 runs like a top. Despite 840,000 mi. Really a shame to scrap that engine. I've already looked at some heavier used trucks with trashed engines. Most economically logical approach? Will certainly need heavier truck if i go NiFe chemistry... lol Hoping for a couple chemistries ive been watching for a couple years. One may make news this year? Didn't hear it from me, tho. lol

Not really concerned about weight impact on efficiency. It WILL utilize regenerative braking so mass can add to E=MV regen. Also, since i'll be charging from my off grid home system, "fuel costs" are virtually free. My off grid system simply cannot L3 charge a monster batt i'm contemplating, tho. It will need time. Which it will have while charging spares while im out driving and draining. lol With refinement and practice, im hoping to get swap out down under a few minutes? My forklift at home is already EV. 48V swappable. lol

Haven't had this much phunn since last tube frame buggy build! lol.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

I find this all interesting but for one thing, what happens when the government can no longer support all of this? The golden goose does die…..than ? While I do like my Tesla it’s no Yukon for fun range and just economics. All of these companies are on board for the money? No one has answered the big questions about the millions of people that love in big cities and cold climates, how do they “plug in” at night? I could be wrong but I see this going badly very fast…..when the government has the opportunity to choose a winner or loser, it always picks the loser.

idssteve

I find this all interesting but for one thing, what happens when the government can no longer support all of this? The golden goose does die…..than ? While I do like my Tesla it’s no Yukon for fun range and just economics. All of these companies are on board for the money? No one has answered the big questions about the millions of people that love in big cities and cold climates, how do they “plug in” at night? I could be wrong but I see this going badly very fast…..when the government has the opportunity to choose a winner or loser, it always picks the loser.
lol... Clients of mine encounter "East India / Crown" style "Monster Corp / Monster Bureaucracy" collusion .. ? Didn't we once rebel against such collusion? Lol

"Centralized power" = centralized power? Lol

Last edited:

idssteve

Mods... I've accidentally somehow "ignored" STC...!!! I can NOT figure out how I did that. Nor how to UN do that!!!. I do NOT wish to ignore ANY one! I do NOT wish to be "ignore rant"! Please help? ??

EDIT:. Okay, found the "unignore". Still no clue what I'd originally touched to trigger "ignore".. Capacitive touch = PITA... Imo. Lol

Last edited:

spARTacus

...No one has answered the big questions about the millions of people that love in big cities and cold climates, how do they “plug in” at night? I could be wrong but I see this going badly very fast…
I don't think anyone has all the answers yet. Apparently, shortly after Iraq invaded Kuwait in Aug 1990, a whole bunch of US Navy ships simply turned around from where ever they were in the world, and started heading towards the middle east, with then only days or weeks later plans starting to be assembled and verified as to what some of those ships would be doing, where and when they'd get fuelled and supplied, etc... Certainly not a most analogous comparison, but I assume the need to just start heading in a different direction, even if in the long run it is later realized that the direction should have been a few more degrees differently, is understandable?

Ph1llip

I don't think anyone has all the answers yet. Apparently, shortly after Iraq invaded Kuwait in Aug 1990, a whole bunch of US Navy ships simply turned around from where ever they were in the world, and started heading towards the middle east, with then only days or weeks later plans starting to be assembled and verified as to what some of those ships would be doing, where and when they'd get fuelled and supplied, etc... Certainly not a most analogous comparison, but I assume the need to just start heading in a different direction, even if in the long run it is later realized that the direction should have been a few more degrees differently, is understandable?
Err...Not. Even.. Close. 🤪

spARTacus

Err...Not. Even.. Close. 🤪
...aternatively, it could also be a conspiracy for certain people to just get rich, or even a conspiracy to accelerate the fall of the western ways. Or, just a bunch of stupid people driving things into the ground. Everyone is free to believe in whatever version they wish.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I was in command of one of those ships, and I have heard this tale before. We had full battle plans for our vessels. The plan was amended as we traveled as was always the case.

SteinwayTransitCorp

...aternatively, it could also be a conspiracy for certain people to just get rich, or even a conspiracy to accelerate the fall of the western ways. Or, just a bunch of stupid people driving things into the ground. Everyone is free to believe in whatever version they wish.
If the governments really are concerned about the environment, it would not be an electric world. This is about a select few making piles of cash while the public pays. In the US the big concern is Social Security and Medicare going broke. If that was the real concern take the cash that is being pissed away on “green” projects and put that into both programs, but then again it could not be used to line people’s pockets.