GM profits hit all time high

spARTacus

...No. My displeasure is for morons. Who seem to have multiplied in the late 20th century.

We used to be able to produce statesmen like Thatcher, Churchill, Reagan, Eisenhower, etc. Now, we can only produce Trudeau's and Biden's. Courtesy of morons who can vote. And to bring it back to topic, yes, the same kind of morons are in charge of our energy policy, including for BEV's.
I can understand your frustration. I was also trying to point out that I think morons as voters and as politicians and as industry leaders have always existed, but a big difference nowadays, in my opinion, is greater awareness and visibility into the moronic goings on. A hundred years ago or more few would have known about the moronicness of the people in charge and all of the "good" leaders were often portrayed as heroic and superhuman in their abilities. Some people would probably choose their vote based on a single article from a single newspaper passed around the house or the town, or maybe from a community meeting that was at least three weeks or more out of sync late with current events. Nowadays everything is way more in the open, almost immediate and realtime, and amplified by all the attempts to pick and poke and propaganda and influence against everything one way or the other.

idssteve

Steve, we should be addressing STCo as "sir"! I've would never have thought a GO would be on a forum.
Absolutely! Of course GO's communicate also. Loll. NvrKno who you'll bump into on a forum dedicated to "users and abusers" of communications technology? Lol

idssteve

OK I was/am a Submarine Captain. During the Gulf war 1 I was assigned to command a DMS
DMS = mine sweeper per chance? Hats off to THOSE guys! Many folks never realize that the fabric "shades" over the decks are really body catchers! For Preventing blast concussion from tossing personnel TOO far! Lol.

I once got dragged into a head gasket design issue for 12 cyl Packard aluminum diesels. Used in some wooden mine sweepers. Seems like DMS part of their designation? They couldn't cross Pacific without blowing at least one head gasket! Checked off the usual suspects for overload, wheel pitch, etc. Ultimately fabbed a Wheatstone injector bolt and got a really dedicated Chief (stationed in Key West?) to install and record cassette tape of firing pressures while under way.. Early 80's tech. Loll.

Ultimately concluded excessive firing pressures. Injection pump port closure timing was originally spec'd with early 50's fuel in mind. Early 80's fuel enjoyed "improved" cetane. The shorter first stage ignition delay of "improved" cetane is typically considered a GOOD thing. IF timing is optimized for it. Obvious in the CP curves. I recommended to set timing about 2 degrees later. Never heard if tried. Pretty sure those old Packards got scrapped?

idssteve

Wow your both right, the ship was taken out of moth balls and returned to service. So much for the “no plan” idea. Lmao
Remember hearing that. Also heard at least one of the four aluminum Packards on one of them blew a head gasket under way to the gulf? Repaired at Subic, if I heard right. ? Never got confirmed which one? They carried plenty of spare parts, tho. Planning! Lol Chief on the DMS I was in contact with (stationed Key West, 1984?) had swapped heads while under way on the other main engines in some past. He'd altered port closure timing on just one of the four main engines to reduce firing pressures and hopefully improve reliability? Never heard which engine or how that worked out? Pretty sure they'd been mothballed well before adequate comparison data was collected. ?

Impressive non-magnetic asset! Even the crankshaft was non-magnetic stainless in those Aluminum Packards. Of course not ALL mines are magnetically triggered! Hats off to you brave souls clearing mr hussein's stench from the waters! Sir!
;)

Packard's demise proved sad but not so surprising. GM? ??

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Remember hearing that. Also heard at least one of the four aluminum Packards on one of them blew a head gasket under way to the gulf? Repaired at Subic, if I heard right. ? Never got confirmed which one? They carried plenty of spare parts, tho. Planning! Lol Chief on the DMS I was in contact with (stationed Key West, 1984?) had swapped heads while under way on the other main engines in some past. He'd altered port closure timing on just one of the four main engines to reduce firing pressures and hopefully improve reliability? Never heard which engine or how that worked out? Pretty sure they'd been mothballed well before adequate comparison data was collected. ?

Impressive non-magnetic asset! Even the crankshaft was non-magnetic stainless in those Aluminum Packards. Of course not ALL mines are magnetically triggered! Hats off to you brave souls clearing mr hussein's stench from the waters! Sir!
;)

Packard's demise proved sad but not so surprising. GM? ??
Yes Sir! BTW GM’s balance sheets are not that good. I would not be surprised in a few years they are back looking for cash..

Ph1llip

I can understand your frustration. I was also trying to point out that I think morons as voters and as politicians and as industry leaders have always existed, but a big difference nowadays, in my opinion, is greater awareness and visibility into the moronic goings on. A hundred years ago or more few would have known about the moronicness of the people in charge and all of the "good" leaders were often portrayed as heroic and superhuman in their abilities. Some people would probably choose their vote based on a single article from a single newspaper passed around the house or the town, or maybe from a community meeting that was at least three weeks or more out of sync late with current events. Nowadays everything is way more in the open, almost immediate and realtime, and amplified by all the attempts to pick and poke and propaganda and influence against everything one way or the other.
Couldn't agree more! What a time to be alive 😆

idssteve

Agreed to assist interviews again starting next week. Something I thoroughly enjoyed, up to just a few years ago. Actually dreading, now. Have I gotten TOO old?

Some wondrously brite "kids" these days. TOO many terrifyingly "moronic numb skulls" between the brite ones. Ug. I understand that the "old phartz" likely thought similar in my youth. Yet, SOME things ARE timeless. Imo

WHAT "engineering" curriculum produces graduates who can't do a first derivative? Let alone second or third? Integration? ?? Lmao.. Or work a C mic? Or even a broom??? Lol

Once upon a time, folks "in charge" had done every job they're "in charge" of! Starting with a broom... Lol

Last edited:

idssteve

Shocking I tell you, SHOCKING !
Shocking? Barns can be marvelous party places. One neighbor, in my youth, used his barn for that a LOT. Dances, square dances, etc. Sometimes thru the night...

Gals typically welcome to indoor facilities. Guys to the fence row out back. Still recall the blood curtling howl of a guy who was unaware of the newly strung hot shot fence. Ug.

idssteve

Barns? Where did that come from (but I do agree BTW, that barns can be awesome places to party, lots of barn and pit and field parties and such in my youth).
Hot shot fence = "electric fence". Pretty "shocking" to take a "beer induced leak" in the dark on one. Located first fence row behind that barn.

Hot shot generates high voltage, low current. Transient pules. Some capacitive discharge. Think sparkplug? For livestock containment. Typically battery powered. Frequently solar charged, these days. Ubiquitous amongst farming vocabulary these days. Space age, in MY youth. Pretty traumatic for the poor guy who'd leaked that same spot every party at that barn for many years. Urine stream can prove VERY conductive. VERY Shocking. Lol

Edit:. Just got informed that guy and his wife later had 4 girls. No boys... what might "shocking" had done? Lol.

Last edited:

spARTacus

Hot shot fence = "electric fence". Pretty "shocking" to take a "beer induced leak" in the dark on one. Located first fence row behind that barn...
Ok fine, a loose set of linkages, but fine.

When I was young they didn't have names like Hot Shot (or maybe they did and we just didn't know). We always just referred to it as the electric fence, although ours was powered by a 12 (or maybe it was a 6) volt car/tractor battery strategically placed under an upside down sink (to keep it from getting wet in the rain) next to one of the poles (although we did also see plug in ones in barns on some farms, probably newer models, maybe one of those was a Hot Shot).

Some of us sometimes had the job of picking grass out from the under area of the wire run because if enough of that grass got long and stalky enough and if not eaten by the cows, it would short out the fence and then the cows would end up down the road or into some back field. A tricky job for some of the longer pieces of grass that were already fence height, periodic shocks.

One fun past time was when one of us was wearing good rubber boots. Grab the fence and no shock, but then grab a nearby companion and big shock, for both. If I remember correctly, the shock seemed to get bigger if a few more were linked in the chain before the final grab of someone not wearing rubber boots, or just crappy boots.

Remember putting grass on the fence once to see if the cow would go for it. Only did that once.

Always fun when the city slickers school friends would come around, tricking them into grabbing the fence, first showing them there was no harm (wearing good boots of course, but not them). I do also remember someone tricking someone into peeing on the fence. Don't really remember the outcome, but I am sure it wasn't good.

Last edited:

spARTacus

...Edit:. Just got informed that guy and his wife later had 4 girls. No boys... what might "shocking" had done? Lol.
Ha. I've had lots of shocks over the years and before kids, from "harmless" electric fences and also plain old house 110/120V. No boys for me either.

idssteve

Ok fine, a loose set of linkages, but fine.

When I was young they didn't have names like Hot Shot (or maybe they did and we just didn't know). We always just referred to it as the electric fence, although ours was powered by a 12 (or maybe it was a 6) volt car/tractor battery strategically placed under an upside down sink (to keep it from getting wet in the rain) next to one of the poles (although we did also see plug in ones in barns on some farms, probably newer models, maybe one of those was a Hot Shot).

Some of us sometimes had the job of picking grass out from the under area of the wire run because if enough of that grass got long and stalky enough and if not eaten by the cows, it would short out the fence and then the cows would end up down the road or into some back field. A tricky job for some of the longer pieces of grass that were already fence height, periodic shocks.

One fun past time was when one of us was wearing good rubber boots. Grab the fence and no shock, but then grab a nearby companion and big shock, for both. If I remember correctly, the shock seemed to get bigger if a few more were linked in the chain before the final grab of someone not wearing rubber boots, or just crappy boots.

Remember putting grass on the fence once to see if the cow would go for it. Only did that once.

Always fun when the city slickers school friends would come around, tricking them into grabbing the fence, first showing them there was no harm (wearing good boots of course, but not them). I do also remember someone tricking someone into peeing on the fence. Don't really remember the outcome, but I am sure it wasn't good.
Shocking! Lol

idssteve

No new about that age old scenario. Ask citizens of Ancient Greece how their experiment in "pure democracy" ended? Lol No, I'm not THAT old. Lol

Our founders engineered a representative republic for reasons. Much derived thru personal experience with top down, unresponsive, Monster Corp Monster Gov.. The system originally structured at 33,000 citizens per representative "worked" because Monster Gov simply didn't intrude into individual citizens' lives enough to demand more individual feedback. Imo.

Individual issues were handled locally. Ultimately thru representing officials who might've known individual constituents by name? Who enjoyed TIME to get informed AND to inform!

Now we have a most intrusive Monster Gov and I must share any time with MY representative with 700,000 fellow constituents. 700,000 / 365 / 24 / 60 = 1.3 constituents per minute. IF that representative never sleeps, etc. Lol. Feeling disenfranchised? Lol.

Enfranchisement is NOT, necessarily, getting a WAY. It's getting a SAY.