Oh no my pickup is dead………another reason the EV is not the future as appearing in…………MOTOR TREND….

SteinwayTransitCorp

Journalists Go Through Electric Truck Nightmare When They Completely Run Out of Battery​

Editor's ordeal after draining electric truck battery provides additional evidence for those who resist climate-related EV push.​

Michael Schwarz By Michael Schwarz July 31, 2023
July 31, 2023 at 5:06pm
The prospect of losing battery power while driving an electric vehicle haunts all EV owners. No doubt readers, whether EV owners or not, imagine the situation as a hassle-filled nightmare.

According to Scott Evans, editor at Motor Trend magazine, the imagined nightmare became reality.

In a story published on Friday, Evans described what unfolded when he and his colleagues deliberately drained the battery on a 2022 Rivian R1T, the first mass-produced electric pickup truck.

Fortunately, most people do not drain an EV’s battery on purpose. Evans and his colleagues, however, wanted to see what would happen.

Things did not go well.

“If you read nothing else, read this: Don’t do it,” Evans wrote.

The Evans team’s odyssey began north of Los Angeles in the rural Santa Clarita River Valley. They wanted to ensure that they would run out of power in a safe location away from heavy traffic. Of course, this also meant that the region had fewer wall chargers available to charge the truck.

On the positive side, it took a long time to lose power. The truck flashed every imaginable warning light and even preserved enough battery that the team had to coast around a residential area before finally coming to a stop. The team also had a good experience with Rivian Roadside Assistance.

Do you think electric vehicles are the future?
Otherwise, everything went wrong.

When the truck’s large battery died, for instance, nothing remained to power its two smaller 12-volt batteries. This posed a serious problem because the 12-volt batteries powered everything else in the vehicle. Thus, when the tow truck arrived 90 minutes later, the Evans team could not even release the parking brake.

Next, the Evans team discovered that they could not recharge the 12-volt batteries using a portable charger. With the batteries dead, the charge port door would not open. On advice from the user’s manual, which they found through the Rivian phone app, they pulled a manual-release cable. The port door still did not open.

Meanwhile, Louis Cejo, the tow-truck driver, arrived and managed to get the electric truck onto his flatbed. “Cejo said he tows at least two EVs a week,” Evans wrote.

Cejo towed the electric truck to a charging station 21 miles away. Naturally, a long line of motorists waited to charge their own vehicles. By the time the Evans team reached the front of the line, the wall charger had failed.

Now, they had the truck towed to a Rivian Service Center 62 miles away. After charging for more than an hour at the service center, the electric truck’s battery had 1 percent power.

In short, when the Evans team pulled the manual-release cable as instructed by the online user manual, they damaged the charging port’s locking mechanism, in which case the truck would not accept a fast charge.

To fix the problem, technicians had to remove the truck’s front motors. One technician described it as a 22-hour job.

Evans concluded by praising both the truck’s safety features and the roadside assistance service. Still, he reiterated the fundamental point. “Like we said right up front, don’t do this,” he wrote.

The entire ordeal reminds readers that electric vehicles, whatever their future, have not yet arrived.

If consumers could simply weigh the vehicles’ net benefits as they do with other products, then the market would decide the product’s future.

Unfortunately, fear-mongering climate-change fanatics have already determined that EVs should replace traditional gasoline-powered vehicles.

Thus, the EV’s place in the climate lunatics’ agenda reinforces hesitancy. These days, millions of Americans react with understandable skepticism to anything the nation’s climate-obsessed elites say or do.

Stories of EV-related problems, therefore, tend to confirm skeptical Americans’ well-founded suspicions.

Last edited:

spARTacus

...Fortunately, most people do not drain an EVs battery on purpose. Evans and his colleagues, however, wanted to see what would happen...On the positive side, it took a long time to lose power. The truck flashed every imaginable warning light and even preserved enough battery that the team had to coast around a residential area before finally coming to a stop...
Stupid journalists trying to make a headline. Probably the type that would also try to run an ICE out of oil to see what would happen, or fill a gasoline ICE with diesel.

...When the truck’s large battery died, for instance, nothing remained to power its two smaller 12-volt batteries. This posed a serious problem because the 12-volt batteries powered everything else in the vehicle. Thus, when the tow truck arrived 90 minutes later, the Evans team could not even release the parking brake....
They probably also expected to be able to play the truck's radio and entertainment system, or top up their cell phones, while they waited for the tow.

...Next, the Evans team discovered that they could not recharge the 12-volt batteries using a portable charger. With the batteries dead, the charge port door would not open...
Maybe they should have read the manual beforehand.

...On advice from the user’s manual, which they found through the Rivian phone app, they pulled a manual-release cable. The port door still did not open.
Sounds like a production error. Like trying to release a spare tire from under the back of a pickup. Lots of those don't lower property, even when new. Or, they screwed around with the port door so much they damaged it, before consulting the manual to figure out how to properly release it.

...By the time the Evans team reached the front of the line, the wall charger had failed.
That's an EV infrastructure problem, not a problem with the truck.

...when the Evans team pulled the manual-release cable as instructed by the online user manual, they damaged the charging port’s locking mechanism, in which case the truck would not accept a fast charge.
They probably yanked and yanked on the port door and screwed it all up, before reading the manual to figure out how to properly release it. Or (as earlier indicated), maybe it was also an honest aspect of faulty production (which shouldn't happen, but sometimes does).

...To fix the problem, technicians had to remove the truck’s front motors. One technician described it as a 22-hour job.
Crappy design, but there are also ICE vehicles out there that require the front wheels to be removed to change a headlight bulb, because the only way to get at them is through the wheel wells. So, this doesn't surprise me, since the number of people that ignore all the warnings and still fully drain their EV batteries is probably very low.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Stupid journalists trying to make a headline. Probably the type that would also try to run an ICE out of oil to see what would happen, or fill a gasoline ICE with diesel.

They probably also expected to be able to play the truck's radio and entertainment system, or top up their cell phones, while they waited for the tow.

Maybe they should have read the manual beforehand.

Sounds like a production error. Like trying to release a spare tire from under the back of a pickup. Lots of those don't lower property, even when new. Or, they screwed around with the port door so much they damaged it, before consulting the manual to figure out how to properly release it.

That's an EV infrastructure problem, not a problem with the truck.

They probably yanked and yanked on the port door and screwed it all up, before reading the manual to figure out how to properly release it. Or (as earlier indicated), maybe it was also an honest aspect of faulty production (which shouldn't happen, but sometimes does).

Crappy design, but there are also ICE vehicles out there that require the front wheels to be removed to change a headlight bulb, because the only way to get at them is through the wheel wells. So, this doesn't surprise me, since the number of people that ignore all the warnings and still fully drain their EV batteries is probably very low.
All I would like to see is the companies that make EV’s be truthful, you are told not to charge your battery above 80% do not drop below 20% do not use the climate control unless absolutely necessary if you have a pick up do not put anything in the back as the weight will kill the range. And the really big one for me is as this vehicle ages it will go less and less so in approximately 4 to five years I will have to lay out almost $30,000 to keep your car running and people want these things why?

your point with the “stupid journalist “ is well taken, but if you run a gasoline powered vehicle dead (empty) you refill it crank to charge the fuel rails and away you go, with a diesel you fill the tank and prime the pump (modrern) older ones you fill the filter first. No towing and no waiting hours and hours to charge.

spARTacus

All I would like to see is the companies that make EV’s be truthful...
I assume the manual clearly warns people about not draining the battery completely dead, about the 80-20 range, and about the impact on range depending on things like use of heater/ac, fast starts and stops, carrying a full load (I saw a Tesla the other day towing a pop-up trailer and bikes on the roof, I hope for his sake he didn't have very far to go). If people are fools and don't know what they are getting into with an EV then that's on them. Even with ICEs however, the dealers always miss-represent and oversell/over-state/over-promise.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I assume the manual clearly warns people about not draining the battery completely dead, about the 80-20 range, and about the impact on range depending on things like use of heater/ac, fast starts and stops, carrying a full load (I saw a Tesla the other day towing a pop-up trailer and bikes on the roof, I hope for his sake he didn't have very far to go). If people are fools and don't know what they are getting into with an EV then that's on them. Even with ICEs however, the dealers always miss-represent and oversell/over-state/over-promise.
Very true, these things and I have one are NOT a primary vehicle for any reason. They are not ready for prime time and they need to be driven just over 14 years to be carbon neutral. Keep making the ice engine cleaner and cleaner……easier simple and best of all no slave slave in Africa involved

also welcome to the 4 horsemen……lmao

spARTacus

..!but if you run a gasoline powered vehicle dead (empty) you refill it crank to charge the fuel rails and away you go, with a diesel you fill the tank and prime the pump (modrern) older ones you fill the filter first. No towing and no waiting hours and hours to charge.
People don't even change their own flat tires nowadays, so its not surprising to me that many ICE makers don't even include spares anymore. Extend that further to nowadays and it doesn't bother me that if one runs an EV battery fully dead, it's more complicated to get back going. People just need to be aware (and most aren't, and then complain about it).

SteinwayTransitCorp

People don't even change their own flat tires nowadays, so its not surprising to me that many ICE makers don't even include spares anymore. Extend that further to nowadays and it doesn't bother me that if one runs an EV battery fully dead, it's more complicated to get back going. People just need to be aware (and most aren't, and then complain about it).
I will disagree

spARTacus

..And the really big one for me is as this vehicle ages it will go less and less so in approximately 4 to five years I will have to lay out almost $30,000 to keep your car running and people want these things why?.
Most people change their ICEs too often, constantly getting new ones. Up to them I guess if that's what they want to spend their money on. EVs probably actually fit in better with the pattern than ICEs, just get a new one every so often. Just like phones and tablets. Constant upgrades. I think it's silly what some people are willing to spend their money on. Things are different nowadays.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Most people change their ICEs too often, constantly getting new ones. Up to them I guess if that's what they want to spend their money on. EVs probably actually fit in better with the pattern than ICEs, just get a new one every so often. Just like phones and tablets. Constant upgrades. I think it's silly what some people are willing to spend their money on. Things are different nowadays.
The only difference is this thing cost over 50 grand the fast change out is not going to take place

spARTacus

The only difference is this thing cost over 50 grand the fast change out is not going to take place
It'll eventually get better. There is a massive untapped after market sales/service industry opportunity that will start kicking in. Regardless, for those that don't do the math and are willing to just constantly be paying the car manufacturer, those people will keep parting with their money or be a slave to the borrowing/lending industry.

Ph1llip

There is probably some investigative journalistic value to this. Lots of people inadvertently (or stupidly) run out of "juice" in their car, be it an ICE or a BEV vehicle.
1 They probably also expected to be able to play the truck's radio and entertainment system, or top up their cell phones, while they waited for the tow.

2 Maybe they should have read the manual beforehand.

3 Sounds like a production error. Like trying to release a spare tire from under the back of a pickup. Lots of those don't lower property, even when new. Or, they screwed around with the port door so much they damaged it, before consulting the manual to figure out how to properly release it.

4 That's an EV infrastructure problem, not a problem with the truck.

5 They probably yanked and yanked on the port door and screwed it all up, before reading the manual to figure out how to properly release it. Or (as earlier indicated), maybe it was also an honest aspect of faulty production (which shouldn't happen, but sometimes does).

6 Crappy design, but there are also ICE vehicles out there that require the front wheels to be removed to change a headlight bulb, because the only way to get at them is through the wheel wells. So, this doesn't surprise me, since the number of people that ignore all the warnings and still fully drain their EV batteries is probably very low.
Agree with 1, 2, 4 and 6, 3 and 5 are obviously assumptions but they sound plausible.

I wouldn't buy a BEV now because they are just EXPENSIVE compared to a similarly specc'd ICE vehicle. And I don't own mega companies like STCo does 😆

spARTacus

There is probably some investigative journalistic value to this. Lots of people inadvertently (or stupidly) run out of "juice" in their car, be it an ICE or a BEV vehicle...
Agree. I indicated "stupid journalists" to taper the shock and awe impact if people think the sky is falling, because of the article.