When will NYC do something about the ‘staggering’ number of e-bike fire deaths?

SteinwayTransitCorp

Eric Adams ran for office on a public-safety platform two years ago.

His crime record is mixed, but public safety isn’t just crime: E-bike and e-scooter battery-fire deaths are reaching “staggering” levels, his fire commissioner says.

So it’s not good the unrelated corruption suspicions swirling around the mayor involve . . . pressuring the FDNY to ignore safety rules, rules that inconvenienced donors and their friends.

The familiar story unfolded again last week: A powerful fire obliterated a Brooklyn brownstone.

Three people from three generations of the West family, ages 33 to 81, perished.

So far, 17 of this year’s 93 fire deaths are from such batteries.

Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh calls it “devastating.”

We’ve quickly reversed decades of progress. Between 2014 and 2020, the average number of annual civilian fire deaths was 66, including a low of 43 in 2017, the smallest number in a century.

Last year, though, fire deaths, at 102, exceeded 100 for the first time in 19 years, and we’ll likely top 100 deaths this year, too.

This represents a 51% increase, relative to the average before e-bikes became ubiquitous.

As the FDNY notes, e-battery fire deaths exceed electrical fire deaths.

So what’s the city doing?

Nothing that has yielded any practical results.

The City Council banned the sale of e-batteries that don’t meet Underwriters Lab-type safety standards — a law it has no way of enforcing (council members don’t want police to seize illegal batteries from cyclists).

The only way to prevent more deaths is for the FDNY to call for a ban on residential e-battery storage and charging, just as it bans home storage of gasoline and other flammable or hazardous materials.

spARTacus

But, but, Spartz didn't experience any of this when he visited so it musn't be happening? 😆
You know well aware that I was consistent with my opinion, not that it wasn't happening because I didn't experience it but rather that some of the characterizations were being extravagant, as evidenced by nothing of such being witnessed by average visitors. Spin it however you want as that is what propaganda is about.

SteinwayTransitCorp

You know well aware that I was consistent with my opinion, not that it wasn't happening because I didn't experience it but rather that some of the characterizations were being extravagant, as evidenced by nothing of such being witnessed by average visitors. Spin it however you want as that is what propaganda is about.
LMAO…………that he is ……who me I never said that……oh wait i did not see it…….crap

Last edited:

Chuck Finley69

I'm sure you didn't see all the illegal aliens either.

Chuck Finley69

Well I wasn't checking people's IDs. So no, none of the people I saw were identified as illegals.
But that doesn't mean NYC isn't overflowing with them. Just Google search Mayor Eric Adams for recent pleadings for help regarding the situation.

Ignoring the problems through human goggles of ignorant bliss doesn't mean it's not happening. Just like the Nazis of Gaza, Russia and similar, the problemsof the planet exist and eventually show up on your literal front door.

SteinwayTransitCorp

It’s the same people will vote for the same party, then they complain about high taxes and crime…..news flash vote the same way get the same results.

spARTacus

But that doesn't mean NYC isn't overflowing with them. Just Google search Mayor Eric Adams for recent pleadings for help regarding the situation.

Ignoring the problems through human goggles of ignorant bliss doesn't mean it's not happening. Just like the Nazis of Gaza, Russia and similar, the problemsof the planet exist and eventually show up on your literal front door.
Lots of ignorant bliss and denial propaganda/efforts going on about climate change and global warming, just google search about it, for that problem coming to our doorstep.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Lots of ignorant bliss and denial propaganda/efforts going on about climate change and global warming, just google search about it, for that problem coming to our doorstep.
Your blind response shows why the world is were it is too……..another person lining up to have there throat cut. You really believe man can control the weather when man cannot predict it 10 days out? Climate change……global warming………..what’s next climate? The planet has changed multiple times in its life cycle…….news flash the entire globe was tropical than covered in ice……by your thinking it must have been dinosaurs farting……….

spARTacus

Your blind response shows why the world is were it is too……..another person lining up to have there throat cut. You really believe man can control the weather when man cannot predict it 10 days out? Climate change……global warming………..what’s next climate? The planet has changed multiple times in its life cycle…….news flash the entire globe was tropical than covered in ice……by your thinking it must have been dinosaurs farting……….
Oh my, with that single post you've managed to demonstrate your characteristics of hypocrisy, illogicalness, idioticalness, fakeness ...(I stopped looking for more). Let me know if you'd like me to walk you through it.

spARTacus

Btw I’m sure google is always right…………I rest my case….LMAO
Ha. Indeed google is not always right. Now don't forget to apply that in consideration of what Chucky posted. Aspects related to that could probably serve for at least three (if not examples for all four) that I now don't have to walk through explain for you.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Ha. Indeed google is not always right. Now don't forget to apply that in consideration of what Chucky posted. Aspects related to that could probably serve for at least three (if not examples for all four) that I now don't have to walk through explain for you.
no matter the group think is the easy way to go………todays world the mob is always right. Same thinking with man will never fly, the world is flat and sea monsters sink ships

spARTacus

no matter the group think is the easy way to go………todays world the mob is always right. Same thinking with man will never fly, the world is flat and sea monsters sink ships
...but don't forget the most important point, that your mob/group's thinking is never wrong. Have fun within your group.

spARTacus

Except I have no group, I just want to see real science and numbers that work not made to work……………kaaaboom.
Your group's think is so engrained in you that you are no longer able to distinguish (or maybe you never had the ability) between fact and opinion.

..and, we already earlier demonstrated via past post discussion (scroll back and elsewhere for a reminder) that you have no scientific approach appreciation.