GM profits hit all time high

spARTacus

..One of the quirky outcomes of this (which always confuses non-Americans) is that a presidential candidate can win the popular vote but lose an election...
I suspect way less non-Americans have trouble understanding that than you think. In Canada, where we don't theoretically vote for the executive level in our elections, power can also end-up with those that did not win the popular vote, due to the arrangement for how all various ridings and seat representations are defined. The same problably also happens in lots of western countries.

spARTacus

Wrong in a democracy the mob rules, everything is done by the majority. In a Republic every vote counts not just the majority. These are very big differences, and the Democratic party now hates it, that's why the Electoral College is so important, every state is important just not the big one.
Do any democracies in the world today operate based on how you outlined for mob rules? Canada's system is not the same as the US, but it's not that different either from the perspective of general elections to elect representatives, and frameworks in place (in Canada it's about ridings) that define how many representatives from different provinces, etc...can make up for the available seats in our Parliament, somewhat crudely similar to your seats in the US Congress. I think you might perhaps only be referring to your Executive Level, for what you explained.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I won't disagree with you on that, but "..let the free market sort it out..." wouldn't help for the situation. The free market would have just kept outsourcing everything to China, for the benefit of corporate profits and efficiencies. Sure some companies would eventually smarten up when through loss of IP they go out of business. However, I'll speculate that the stuff the Rear Admiral was going on about (see the reference to his speach that I earlier posted) is only going to be achieved through government regulation and oversight.
With all do respect the Admiral is a two dimensional thinker who only knows government. At that rank he has to be a good *ss kisser. We now live in the short term profit, nothing about long term just today. ‘ if everyone is working at Mc Donald’s, than know one can buy a Cadillac “ my quote

spARTacus

With all do respect the Admiral is a two dimensional thinker who only knows government. At that rank he has to be a good *ss kisser. We now live in the short term profit, nothing about long term just today. ‘ if everyone is working at Mc Donald’s, than know one can buy a Cadillac “ my quote
I think I'd agree lots of the west is living in a short term mindset. I thought that was part of what the Admiral was trying to educate about, in terms of needed change and a better overall coordinated approach? Maybe he didn't specifically mention about it from a short term capitalistic profits mindset (although it's obvious isn't it that has been part of problems in the past for why so much shifted to China over last several decades and part of the situation the west is now in), but certainly mentioning exactly about how China is doing better right now with their long term game plan, and the west needed to wake up and stop wasting their time with internal bickering and side distractions? No?

SteinwayTransitCorp

I think I'd agree lots of the west is living in a short term mindset. I thought that was part of what the Admiral was trying to educate about, in terms of needed change and a better overall coordinated approach? Maybe he didn't specifically mention about it from a short term capitalistic profits mindset (although it's obvious isn't it that has been part of problems in the past for why so much shifted to China over last several decades and part of the situation the west is now in), but certainly mentioning exactly about how China is doing better right now with their long term game plan, and the west needed to wake up and stop wasting their time with internal bickering and side distractions? No?
As someone who has served I tune out when any admiral/General speaks,they are politically motivated animals. In the 70s white collar cheered when blue collar jobs went over seas and all of these experts sat quiet. All of this reminds me of this:

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

Martin Niemoller​

spARTacus

As someone who has served I tune out when any admiral/General speaks,they are politically motivated animals....
From what I've read, the US military is basically all political once above a certain rank. Not political in the sense of US state or federal politics or US political parties per se, as most of us would understand as politics, but instead military politics. I'd suspect it starts way earlier than Admiral, and many in the US services would probably suggest that anyone over the rank of maybe the equivalent of a US Navy Lieutenant or Lieutenant Commander, is basically already deep into the thick of the service politics of things, with promotion to such higher ranks basically requiring it (ie: those that aren't able to successfully exercise it don't get promoted or appointed to such higher ranks or positions).

In the article it said that the Admiral was in the line of work of intelligence, and at one point in his speech he was going on about information operations and campaigns. I'd agree that he's probably all about military politics in his line of work, and also US foreign policy politics. However, not sure I detected any politics politics per se in his speech. If anything, I think he was telling all sides and colours of US and western world politics to smarten up, giving all of them crap for not paying attention and yet doing enough to fix the situation.

SteinwayTransitCorp

From what I've read, the US military is basically all political once above a certain rank. Not political in the sense of US state or federal politics or US political parties per se, as most of us would understand as politics, but instead military politics. I'd suspect it starts way earlier than Admiral, and many in the US services would probably suggest that anyone over the rank of maybe the equivalent of a US Navy Lieutenant or Lieutenant Commander, is basically already deep into the thick of the service politics of things, with promotion to such higher ranks basically requiring it (ie: those that aren't able to successfully exercise it don't get promoted or appointed to such higher ranks or positions).

In the article it said that the Admiral was in the line of work of intelligence, and at one point in his speech he was going on about information operations and campaigns. I'd agree that he's probably all about military politics in his line of work, and also US foreign policy politics. However, not sure I detected any politics politics per se in his speech. If anything, I think he was telling all sides and colours of US and western world politics to smarten up, giving all of them crap for not paying attention and yet doing enough to fix the situation.
Sorry but I have to disagree, I know this person and he only opens his mouth when it might benefit him in some way.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I have been accused and this is not a good word, of being against Ev's. First, I drove an EV long before it was a cool thing, back in the 90's. The City of New York was given 10 and by chance I was assigned one. A great car very limited range, if I remember right, we are talking 100 to 200 miles. Now fast forward, I am a technology guy, I live and breathe it. But I also remember when technology was for the greater good and moved things forward, it was also driven by the market not some elected fools. Today I see things change that do what? clean energy cars? Nope they have a larger carbon footprint that a conventional car. You would have to drive a Tesla almost 18 years for it to be carbon neutral so the car never can achieve this because the batteries would have to be changed out 3 to 4 times. I am tired of this we must do this or all of us are dead, really? I have heard people talking about the end of the world in the science community for years, since the 70's. Back then it was global cooling, now it is warming, and by the way temps have not moved for about 5 years now...hmmmmm. So you see I am not impressed by shiny new balls of tin that will save the planet, been there done that, I have the tee shirt.

Last edited:

Ph1llip

EVERY job today in every industry is about politics, not just the military. Specifically, the woke, wind-and-solar, gender fluid diversity-and-inclusion type of politics.

In the army, if you want to go beyond half bird, you better be praying at the altar of Woke. General Milley is a prime example. Full birds are auditioning grounds for their first star and these days, you don't get a star if you're the old fashioned buzz cut square jaw that speaks their mind. It's no longer acceptable. Winning wars isn't the priority, wokeness is.

I was once asked by a particularly deluded perscom pogue why I didn't have pronouns in my email signature. This is what it's come to.

The only industry where all this BS is welcome is the car industry because guess what, they don't care WHAT car they sell you. BEV, ICE, HFC, they're laughing all the way to the bank. If people or government wanted cars to be powered by twinkies, I swear to God GM will find a way to make a car that does. And will probably offer a choice of models that also go on ding dongs or ho-ho's.

spARTacus

EVERY job today in every industry is about politics, not just the military. Specifically, the woke, wind-and-solar, gender fluid diversity-and inclusion type of politics....

...The only industry where all this BS is welcome is the car industry because guess what, they don't care WHAT car they sell you. BEV, ICE, HFC, they're laughing all the way to the bank. If people or government wanted cars to be powered by twinkies, I swear to God they'll find a way to make a car that does. And will probably offer a choice of models that also go on ding dongs or ho-ho's.
I'm guessing GM and the rest of the auto industry isn't alone in that situation, and every single sector will jump onboard any good, bad, righteous, miss-guided, path, trend or bandwagon, that they feel they can make a buck or two out of. How about 5G in that regard? What do you think about that (you can reply in the other thread)?

spARTacus

EVERY job today in every industry is about politics, not just the military. Specifically, the woke, wind-and-solar, gender fluid diversity-and-inclusion type of politics.

In the army, if you want to go beyond half bird, you better be praying at the altar of Woke. General Milley is a prime example. Full birds are auditioning grounds for their first star and these days, you don't get a star if you're the old fashioned buzz cut square jaw that speaks their mind. It's no longer acceptable. Winning wars isn't the priority, wokeness is.

I was once asked by a particularly deluded perscom pogue why I didn't have pronouns in my email signature. This is what it's come to....
Is it really any different however nowadays, than in the past? Sure the whole she/him/it pronouns thing seems kind of weird and awkward to lot of us that are "up in age". However, I remember my Dad telling me many years ago that the world was going to crap because of arcades and TV and sex and drugs. Is it really different what we are now going through, or just different context from what our parents and past generations went through, or perhaps only because for some of this we are now at the age of looking at it from a perspective we've previously not had the ability or luxury to view it from? You can reply in the "what's with the world nowadays" thread.

Is it really any different however nowadays, than in the past? Sure the whole she/him/it pronouns thing seems kind of weird and awkward to lot of us that are "up in age". However, I remember my Dad telling me many years ago that the world was going to crap because of arcades and TV and sex and drugs. Is it really different what we are now going through, or just different context from what our parents and past generations went through, or perhaps only because for some of this we are now at the age of looking at it from a perspective we've previously not had the ability or luxury to view it from? You can reply in the "what's with the world nowadays" thread.
These are the end times. That's what's different from before. Free market idealists tried to immanentize the eschaton and the results are slowly manifest. It's not the world your dad grew up in.

idssteve

EV, by definition, utilizes stationary power sources for mobile transport. IF, BIG if, those stationary power sources are "clean", like solar, wind, hydro, geo, etc, then EV enjoys potential as "cleaner" transport than fossil powered ICE.

IF, BiGGER if, EV is powered by coal fired electricity, it's arguably TWICE CO2 emissions of fossil powered ICE. A wash if that power's generated by oil. 1/3 better if that power's generated by nathural gas (methane).

IF, BIGGEST if, the goal as stated is truly CO2 reduction, charging EV with coal fired electricity SHOULD be criminalized. !! Imo. Fwiw.

Why, then, is it being mandated? What are REAL motives under such counterproductive logic? ??

spARTacus

...well, it could be a conspiracy just to make certain select people rich, or because everyone is just stupid.

Or, it could be because a majority of the world (mob majority or republic majority) has concluded it's best that we start working to reduce use of fossil fuels, and moving towards the mass adoption of EVs will start getting us there (even if it will be a long path and we don't yet have everything figured out). Did anyone even read what AppDeveloper posted?

Chuck Finley69

...well, it could be a conspiracy just to make certain select people rich, or because everyone is just stupid.

Or, it could be because a majority of the world (mob majority or republic majority) has concluded it's best that we start working to reduce use of fossil fuels, and moving towards the mass adoption of EVs will start getting us there (even if it will be a long path and we don't yet have everything figured out). Did anyone even read what AppDeveloper posted?
If the people really cared we'd prioritize. The BRIC nations are replacing and growing the fossil related fuels industry to such a level that we're simply not going to make a difference.

spARTacus

If the people really cared we'd prioritize. The BRIC nations are replacing and growing the fossil related fuels industry to such a level that we're simply not going to make a difference.
Yes, I think there'll be more "conflict a coming" in the future of the world with regards to the West and BRICS and movement away from fossil fuels. Personally, I assume South Africa and then Brazil will come around or be brought around next (or that could be what the powers at be think), or at least sooner then India, then Russia. Maybe Russia before India if the Ukraine thing goes more wrong for Putin. However, the "West" would basically need to massively subsidize and support Russia, as a culture and a nation to stop Putin from going nuclear (based on Putin's threat to use nuclear to ensure Russia motherland never dies). As for the last and biggest one, well there is an entire thread now in here for postings about it. Or, maybe even in the Nowadays thread.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

EV, by definition, utilizes stationary power sources for mobile transport. IF, BIG if, those stationary power sources are "clean", like solar, wind, hydro, geo, etc, then EV enjoys potential as "cleaner" transport than fossil powered ICE.

IF, BiGGER if, EV is powered by coal fired electricity, it's arguably TWICE CO2 emissions of fossil powered ICE. A wash if that power's generated by oil. 1/3 better if that power's generated by nathural gas (methane).

IF, BIGGEST if, the goal as stated is truly CO2 reduction, charging EV with coal fired electricity SHOULD be criminalized. !! Imo. Fwiw.

Why, then, is it being mandated? What are REAL motives under such counterproductive logic? ??
Stop with the facts........hurts peoples feeling....LMAO

idssteve

Stop with the facts........hurts peoples feeling....LMAO
I've traced source to end user meter point for decades. A skill set I developed originally for understanding how much fission nuke was reaching my home. That understanding morally compelled me off grid. A topic for discussion in itself. Lol. NOthing to do with CO2. In fact, significant "scientific community consensus" of the day still expected an impending ice age due to human (aka blame USA) activities.

But, source tracing CAN be done. Adequate data exists. Data that IS processed. A smart enough EV charging station can report time, date and KWH. So that coal fired portion of a given EV charge cycle can be taxed. A punitive enough tax should impose disincentive to coal fired EV charging? WithOUT punishing folks who just want to stay warm and keep freezers frozen. ???

Governments do far more complex things routinely? I've suggested similar to office help of my elected representatives... Crickets... Lol. Good luck speaking eye to eye with ANY elected ANY one. Lol.

MANY folks are truly, sincerely worried. I'm personally concerned. Not fully convinced, based on lame, grade school level, data published. If correlation = causation, then Earth's diminishing magnetic "shield" also correlates. Arguably. Etc, etc. BUT I'm willing to accept "reasonable doubt" on such a potentially BIG issue that we understand so LITTLE about.

BUT I also KNOW, beyond reasonable doubt, of at least a hand full of "death to great satan amerika" types openly masquerading as environmentalists. Starting with my dear wife's parents. Lol. Any solution that does NOT wreck capitalism is a NONsolution in their thinking. Go figure. Imagine family gatherings? Lol

Historically, where economies crash, ecologies follow... Shortly.