Zero Emission Vehicles

givechanceachance

If fusion reactors replace nuclear and coal plants then that would be a good time to transition marketwise with wireless powered encrypted (so it can be metered and not hijacked) radios to charge these cars without needing physical hookups everywhere. Environmental-wise: "you'll own nothing and be happy" is what that path promises.

I captured this video from a Steven Seagal laserdisc "On Deadly Ground" because I found it to be very moving and well articulated "scripted"; the film was released three decades ago, played and directed by Seagal. I do not have answers, however I do have questions. And perhaps we should've adapted in our culture what we learned from the aboriginal natives rather than impose our technologically advanced however primitive culture pushing them out to what is sometimes second priority lands to them.

Video:

What we can be hopeful for is a future matched in principle and example by the Venus Project.

spARTacus

... I captured this video from a Steven Seagal laserdisc "On Deadly Ground" because I found it to be very moving and well articulated "scripted"; the film was released three decades ago, played and directed by Seagal. I do not have answers, however I do have questions...
It's a very nice piece in my opinion, that video extract. I especially like the part about the concept of not anything should be produced if it can't be re-used, recycled, biodegradable. The only thing I'll caution about the video is some folks probably thinking there is a collective conscious "they" out there, a big bad evil set of bogeymen that can be fought. In my opinion, it's not like that all but instead it's about what is within us all that has driven us to where we are, driven the collective culture and thinking about our ways, and we ourselves all have to change for what we want, what we desire, what we demand, etc...(vs what we actually need), to then make a change in thinking. EVs might not be a perfect solution, they might still have many issues to sort out, and they might also do more damage than good in the short term. However, at least they are also resulting in some challenging of our thinking.

SteinwayTransitCorp

It's a very nice piece in my opinion, that video extract. I especially like the part about the concept of not anything should be produced if it can't be re-used, recycled, biodegradable. The only thing I'll caution about the video is some folks probably thinking there is a collective conscious "they" out there, a big bad evil set of bogeymen that can be fought. In my opinion, it's not like that all but instead it's about what is within us all that has driven us to where we are, driven the collective culture and thinking about our ways, and we ourselves all have to change for what we want, what we desire, what we demand, etc...(vs what we actually need), to then make a change in thinking. EVs might not be a perfect solution, they might still have many issues to sort out, and they might also do more damage than good in the short term. However, at least they are also resulting in some challenging of ourI agree with the concepts but truth is it’s never going to happen. We need to move in the Easy and simple. Not Yes, yes it was
I want all of this to work, but truth is we need to work on the possible.

spARTacus

I want all of this to work, but truth is we need to work on the possible.
You seem to have accidentally added the following into my text, as if I said it:
"...I agree with the concepts but truth is it’s never going to happen. We need to move in the Easy and simple. Not Yes, yes it was..."

Can you correct that in your post? It would be better if that was attributed correctly to you.

I don't generally disagree with you, but I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes forcing functions are also required and used, even ones that aren't the best, as long as different things also start happening.

Last edited:

idssteve

If fusion reactors replace nuclear and coal plants then that would be a good time to transition marketwise with wireless powered encrypted (so it can be metered and not hijacked) radios to charge these cars without needing physical hookups everywhere. Environmental-wise: "you'll own nothing and be happy" is what that path promises.

I captured this video from a Steven Seagal laserdisc "On Deadly Ground" because I found it to be very moving and well articulated "scripted"; the film was released three decades ago, played and directed by Seagal. I do not have answers, however I do have questions. And perhaps we should've adapted in our culture what we learned from the aboriginal natives rather than impose our technologically advanced however primitive culture pushing them out to what is sometimes second priority lands to them.

Video:

What we can be hopeful for is a future matched in principle and example by the Venus Project.
Fusion might demand a LOT of hydrogen production to derive deuterium and tritium? Lol

SteinwayTransitCorp

You seem to have accidentally added the following into my text, as if I said it:
"...I agree with the concepts but truth is it’s never going to happen. We need to move in the Easy and simple. Not Yes, yes it was..."

Can you correct that in your post? It would be better if that was attributed correctly to you.

I don't generally disagree with you, but I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes forcing functions are also required and used, even ones that aren't the best, as long as different things also start happening.
No a disagreement at all, we just look at things from different angles. We all want to get to the same place.

Fusion might demand a LOT of hydrogen production to derive deuterium and tritium? Lol

I just read some article saying both were easily available, so that might not be an issue in implementing the technology.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

is questioning whether the push for the auto industry to phase out gas-powered vehicles and go exclusively electric is the right decision.

Akio Toyoda made the comments to reporters in Thailand after the auto manufacturer said around this time last year that it would produce 3.5 million electric vehicles annually by 2030, according to The Wall Street Journal.

People involved in the auto industry are largely a silent majority," Toyoda said. "That silent majority is wondering whether EVs are really OK to have as a single option. But they think it’s the trend so they can’t speak out loudly."

Toyoda reportedly has been trying to express that point to governments and industry stakeholders.

"Because the right answer is still unclear, we shouldn’t limit ourselves to just one option," he added.

Toyota’s rivals, including General Motors and Honda Motor Company, have set dates for when their lineups will be all-electric. However, Toyota has invested in a collection of models that includes hydrogen-powered cars and gas/electric hybrids, The Wall Street Journal reports.

General Motors is set to rapidly ramp up its electric car production in North America from about 50,000 this year to one million in 2025, but it is not parking its internal combustion engine cars and trucks just yet.

The ICE age is not over," GM President Mark Reuss had told FOX Business in an exclusive interview in November ahead of the company’s investor day presentation in New York City.

"We’re not going to abandon our internal combustion engine segments," Reuss said.

idssteve

I just read some article saying both were easily available, so that might not me an issue in implementing the technology.
No issue. Just that deuterium & tritium production also produces a LOT of protium. Protium that can be flared off or used productively. Vehicular? Win-win-win, imo.

SteinwayTransitCorp

That would be great, I would still like to see them push methane for cars. We had methane driven transit buses from GM years ago, best part the diesel’s engines where basically stock. Just different injectors and timing. Tanks went either on the roof or underneath. Ran great and the biggest byproduct was water.

idssteve

That would be great, I would still like to see them push methane for cars. We had methane driven transit buses from GM years ago, best part the diesel’s engines where basically stock. Just different injectors and timing. Tanks went either on the roof or underneath. Ran great and the biggest byproduct was water.
More precisely, CH4 + 2O2 → CO2 + 2H2O. IOW two waters for each CO2. Way WAY better than coal which is virtually all carbon.

Also way better to burn than venting the stuff. CH4 considered to pose orders of magnitude green house effect over CO2.. Some sources of methane like sewer gas can be considered "renewable"? Lol. Better to derive useful work from the stuff than venting or flaring.

In fact, I did some work at Nut Island Sewage Treatment Plant, Boston. Late 80s. Working for NOAA at the time. (long story. Lol). That plant was built about 1947. That plant's half dozen Worthington SEH RICE (16" pistons) had generated many MANY MWH burning "farts". Lol. Over multiple decades at the time.

Some were spark. Some dual fuel, I recall. The dual fuel engines in fact run Diesel Cycle while burning oil. They transitioned to Otto Cycle when shifted to methane. Each charge of methane ignited by a 5% pilot charge of fuel oil at about 16 deg BTDC. The sparkys operated Otto Cycle always. Which means combustion air must be throttled for stoichiometry. Typically an inlet throttle plate. Positioned by governor connected linkage. I ultimately designed "modern" electronic EGT based air throttling controls for them. Post NOAA days. Lol

GM's DDA 92 series two strokes' positive displacement roots blowers weren't so compatible to scavenging throttling. Lol. Turbo D series up EMDs tolerate such throttling easier than roots blown but GM somehow managed to design Stoichiometry into piston bowl design. Dual fuel 567 roots got by fine without throttling. Go figure. Something only aftermarket conversions enjoyed much success on 645. Afaik.

Of course Stoichiometry is only one aspect of Otto Cycle. Preignition of fuel ingested and compressed along with charge air proves a persistent hazard to Otto Cycle methane.. Demanding lower CR. An old friend (late 90s) at SWRI (South West Research Institute) assisted to develop LaCHIP cycle for GASRAIL EMD project that injected methane under about 5000 psi at about TDC. Retaining Diesel Cycle. Fully eliminating preignition. Permitting thermal efficiency optimal CR. Also minimizing NOx, CO, HC. Etc.

Had heard, but never verified, that some DDA 92 and 149 series had been converted to inject high pressure methane at about TDC. Preserving Diesel Cycle in those? Wouldn't per chance have been your vehicles?? 92 of course. 149 might out weigh your vehicle. Lol.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

More precisely, CH4 + 2O2 → CO2 + 2H2O. IOW two waters for each CO2. Way WAY better than coal which is virtually all carbon.

Also way better to burn than venting the stuff. CH4 considered to pose orders of magnitude green house effect over CO2.. Some sources of methane like sewer gas can be considered "renewable"? Lol. Better to derive useful work from the stuff than venting or flaring.

In fact, I did some work at Nut Island Sewage Treatment Plant, Boston. Late 80s. Working for NOAA at the time. (long story. Lol). That plant was built about 1947. That plant's half dozen Worthington SEH RICE (16" pistons) had generated many MANY MWH burning "farts". Lol. Over multiple decades at the time.

Some were spark. Some dual fuel, I recall. The dual fuel engines in fact run Diesel Cycle while burning oil. They transitioned to Otto Cycle when shifted to methane. Each charge of methane ignited by a 5% pilot charge of fuel oil at about 16 deg BTDC. The sparkys operated Otto Cycle always. Which means combustion air must be throttled for stoichiometry. Typically an inlet throttle plate. Positioned by governor connected linkage. I ultimately designed "modern" electronic EGT based air throttling controls for them. Post NOAA days. Lol

GM's DDA 92 series two strokes' positive displacement roots blowers weren't so compatible to scavenging throttling. Lol. Turbo D series up EMDs tolerate such throttling easier than roots blown but GM somehow managed to design Stoichiometry into piston bowl design. Dual fuel 567 roots got by fine without throttling. Go figure. Something only aftermarket conversions enjoyed much success on 645. Afaik.

Of course Stoichiometry is only one aspect of Otto Cycle. Preignition of fuel ingested and compressed along with charge air proves a persistent hazard to Otto Cycle methane.. Demanding lower CR. An old friend (late 90s) at SWRI (South West Research Institute) assisted to develop LaCHIP cycle for GASRAIL EMD project that injected methane under about 5000 psi at about TDC. Retaining Diesel Cycle. Fully eliminating preignition. Permitting thermal efficiency optimal CR. Also minimizing NOx, CO, HC. Etc.

Had heard, but never verified, that some DDA 92 and 149 series had been converted to inject high pressure methane at about TDC. Preserving Diesel Cycle in those? Wouldn't per chance have been your vehicles?? 92 of course. 149 might out weigh your vehicle. Lol.
Yup r 92 engines ran like clocks

spARTacus

This article seems to relate to the discussion.

I normally don't care for lots of stuff cbc writes/posts (not that many other news outlets are better), but this Pitts guy normally isn't too bad. Notwithstanding various points made in the article, I still also think it was written as kind of for the purpose of headline grabbing, for what cbc thinks folks want to read or what would catch their eye.
Here's another article about EVs by Pitts.

Certainly can't accuse him of only wanting to present pieces slanted in only one way.

Edit: Hmmm. It now shows as an Apr2022 article, but was earlier presented in the CBC app as new. Not sure what's up with how old it really is. Sorry.

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Here's another article about EVs by Pitts.

Certainly can't accuse him of only wanting to present pieces slanted in only one way.

Edit: Hmmm. It now shows as an Apr2022 article, but was earlier presented in the CBC app as new. Not sure what's up with how old it really is. Sorry.
Both stories are interesting, I thought the GM stance that all of a sudden ICE is not dead is an interesting turn around?