Zero Emission Vehicles

idssteve

Ironically, an article from CBC this morning for an eScooter fire in Ottawa recently (although not a rental).

I'm guilty of "hopping up" LiIon cells. Fortunately none are 400+ V. Yet. Loll.

We mostly joked about Samsung's "hand warmer" issues. That's just cell phone. Transportation, even scooters, can pack a LOT of energy density! Yes, so can gasoline. But when was last time you put gasoline in your pocket? Or stored and refilled gas bikes in an apartment?

My eBike lives outside for a reason. Its removable battery gets charged in a "safer" place. There is no "safe" in engineering, btw. Only "safer". Lol

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

I love all of this stuff, I just hate to see what happens now if Tesla goes belly up? Or reality catches up to the fantasy of 2030 as the all electric date. Meanwhile the grid contiues to decay at an alarming pace.

Innovation being the only hope as the poles thaw and the forests
burn...

Walking through the University today I saw this - charge parks powered by solar roofs. The wasted space of parking lots put to use + zero strain on the distribution network. It's distributed distribution. Easily applied to millions of acres of otherwise unproductive car lots.

If you want forward thinking for a way out of the climate dilemma maybe look to the schools

Attachments

• 20230729_180035.jpg
    20230729_180035.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230729_180310.jpg
    20230729_180310.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

SteinwayTransitCorp

Innovation being the only hope as the poles thaw and the forests
burn...

Walking through the University today I saw this - charge parks powered by solar roofs. The wasted space of parking lots put to use + zero strain on the distribution network. It's distributed distribution. Easily applied to millions of acres of otherwise unproductive car lots.

If you want forward thinking for a way out of the climate dilemma maybe look to the schools
The big issues that none of the greenies want to discuss is the following: for every solar plant every wind farm a oil/gas/nuclear power plant must be on full standby. If not when the output dips the grid crashes……another inconvenience truth

SteinwayTransitCorp

Why do you even try? Basic science old man, potential and kinetic energy, battery storage. Nah you couldn't understand that given the Greenhouse Effect is beyond your comprehension.
Thank you for your response

sorry dear reality bites but here it is worlds largest battery storage facility has enough backup storage for the grid for 45 minutes. Since the sun goes down for longer than 45 minutes and the wind stops blowing a lot longer than that I guess that’s the end of the grid. And as for hydroelectric and geothermal both are now under attack from the green crowd as they need to go away as well. Stupidity on an apocalyptic scale for a problem that may or may not exist while the east builds there economy? The west destroys theirs……well done!

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Hydroelectric and geothermal under attack by the green crowd? That's something that you could only find in a paid for by oil industry fake news outlet.

I told you earlier that your mind is too feeble to understand potential and kinetic energy. Not finding any information about that? Start reading something scientific and learn.

150 years of water towers and he thinks that they're just for advertising.
Spoken like a true believer……..ask for a window seat…….lmao

SteinwayTransitCorp

I'm a thinker and doer and not a denier. At least I'm not an anti-Semite like you are. Maybe I should report you to the B'nai B'rith, they'll really make a mess out of you.
You’re not a thinker you’re a follower you’re an idiot. All you have to do is look on the news and see protests all over Canada all over the United States. All over Europe dams must be removed. Hydroelectric must go, but you are a true believer. This will be the last time I engage with an idiot like yourself go …………….

SteinwayTransitCorp

How many gallons of water, at what head, to power national grid thru night time?
In the US, and in Canada, including Europe, thousands of megawatts of generating capability, is in danger. In California three dams that produce a quarter of the states electricity is in danger of being removed. If this was not so sad, it would be a Monty Python skit. The same thing with nuclear power, cleanest energy on the planet and what do we do? We shut it down.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Oh my soul, it doesn’t work at night and wind power stops a statement I made before and was sad that I was an idiot shocking. In order to keep a grid balanced, and it must be perfectly balanced at all times you will need fossil fuels.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I read the story about the aging and generally ill built dams at americanrivers.org. Once again you lie and inflate numbers. 25% from 3 dams? NO.

Their should be no further building of nuclear reactors using current and past technology. When and if Fusion reactors become a reality then man should take a look at it. What else is extremely important is that any projects (ANY including solar wind and hydro) need to be publically controlled.

Private ownership leads to what is happening in California with the dams, built without respect or even acknowledgement of peoples living on the rivers not to mention the wildlife
You really don’t get it/The greenies want to get rid of everything. A perfect example in the south the Tennessee valley authority. The greatest thing the United States government has ever done. An agency that not only runs efficiently, but makes money they have attempted multiple times to close all of the dams that the authority owns. The TVA generates the majority of its power from hydroelectric. Get with the program I do not say this because I think it’s great. I do not say this because it gives me pleasure. I say this because if we don’t stop being smart, these idiots are going to drive to West into oblivion.

SteinwayTransitCorp

You need to get out of the way, you're a danger to mankind.

Why did I reference water towers? Potential energy stored during the day and turned into electricity generation using kinetic energy when required.

You have a total ignorance of how the grid actually wor
I feel sorry for you. The reports have been out for years. The largest battery storage in the world is 45 minutes. You can’t store some thing forever. Power plants ramp up and spin down based on demand. Solar and wind cannot fulfill that request. I am not making this up. These are just facts, you just don’t like them

SteinwayTransitCorp

On average, NYC uses 8,000 megawatts of power. In the summer, as New Yorkers turn on their air conditioners, citywide demand can increase to as much as 11,500 megawatts.

Also know, how much electricity does NYC use a year? In New York City (Zone J), the consumption of electric energy stood at 53.65 terawatt hours in 2016.
Beside above, which US city uses the most electricity? In 2017, Miami had the highest average monthly electricity usage with 1,125 kilowatt hours used on average. San Francisco had the lowest average usage with just 261 kilowatt hours. Electricity is used as a power source for a variety of things in the U.S. including cooling, technology, and some transportation.
Additionally, how does NY get its power? Natural gas, nuclear, and hydropower consistently generate more than 90% of New York‘s electricity. … Natural gas fuels 5 of the state’s 10 largest power plants by capacity, and natural gas-fired power plants account for more than two-thirds of New York’s generating capacity.
Considering this, how many homes can 1 MW power? To put that number in perspective, the Solar Energy Industries Association (a U.S. trade association) calculates that on average 1 megawatt of solar powergenerates enough electricity to meet the needs of 164 U.S. homes.NYC is consistently ranked among the most energy efficient cities in the US, occupying the 2nd place in the ACEEE ranking and the 5th place in the ENERGY STAR ranking. Solid policies towards energy efficiency have played an important role, and the private sector has shown a positive response.

How much electricity does New York City use a day?​

New York City uses 11, 000 Megawatt-hours of electricity on average each day. One megawatt represents the amount need to power 100 homes!

Does New York use nuclear power?​

Nuclear capacity in New York state Nuclear power produces 34.2% of the state’s electricity, higher than the U.S. average of 20.6%. In 2017, Indian Point generated approximately 10% of the state’s electricity needs, and 25% of the electricity used in New York City and Westchester County.

How much of New York’s energy is renewable?​

In 2020, renewable sources and nuclear power, together, supplied 60% of New York’s in-state generation from utility-scale and small-scale facilities. Nuclear power accounted for 29% of New York’s utility-scale net generation in 2020, down from 34% in 2019 because of the retirement of one reactor.

How many nuclear power plants are in New York State?​

Three nuclear plants, Fitzpatrick, Ginna, and Nine Mile Point comprising four nuclear reactors, operate in Upstate New York. These plants represent over 3,300 megawatts (MW) of capacity and almost 26 million megawatt hours (MWh) of annual electricity generation, as shown in Table 1 and illustrated in Figure 1.

How many megawatts does NYC use?​

On average, NYC uses 8,000 megawatts of power. In the summer, as New Yorkers turn on their air conditioners, citywide demand can increase to as much as 11,500 megawatts.

What can 100kw power?​

Using a 100kw generator you could probably power 25 to 50 homes at one time assuming they were not all running their ac and electric stoves at once. Even more if they had energy efficent appliances and a battery system such as a powerwall to spread the drain out.

What is the most energy efficient city in the world?​

Reykjavik is the most energy-efficient city in the world. Along with the rest of Iceland, Reykjavik relies on renewable hydropower and geothermal plants to provide all of the heat, electricity, and hot water for its more than 120,000 citizens.

What state has the best power grid?​

Energy Rankings Oregon ranks first in the nation for energy, as well as in the infrastructure category overall. Washington places second in this subcategory, followed by South Dakota, Montana and Iowa. Learn more about the Best States for energy below.

What state uses the least electricity?​

Vermont was the lowest energy-consuming state in 2015 at about 132 trillion Btu; it was the only state with a lower consumption level than the District of Columbia’s 179 trillion Btu. Historically, Vermont has used less energy than any other state since 1961.

How much mw does a city use?​

The consumption varies depending on the time of the day. Usually, the power consumption in the city is 3,000-3,200 MW a day. The sharp drop in power consumption is mainly because of the lockdown due to which commercial offices, malls and, most importantly, manufacturing industries have been closed temporarily.

How much does electricity cost per month in NYC?​

org’s breakdown of the average cost of utilities per month in New York: Electricity: $173.84. Natural Gas: $102.76

The big issues that none of the greenies want to discuss is the following: for every solar plant every wind farm a oil/gas/nuclear power plant must be on full standby. If not when the output dips the grid crashes……another inconvenience truth
I think that detail was addressed in another post. Certainly, more people are aware of it than just you and I. :)

It is certainly the case (I saw examples lately) that many city-raised / latté sipping people don't know about the sun getting dark at night. They think it's fake news.

Last edited:

spARTacus

...I say this because if we don’t stop being smart, these idiots are going to drive to West into oblivion.
Not sure who the greenies are in the example you provided, but I'd suspect there's quite a few people that don't share their opinion/cause in that specific example. Also, if some of those greenies are idiots, doesn't mean that brush applies also to everyone.