Electric Bikes, the new fire starter.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Here's a long term view of number of murders over the years. When did TransitCaptain leave NYC after he grew up there, in comparison to it now being a Dumpster Fire?

View attachment 143
Btw Captain know it all here are the NYCPD stats for 2022:

NYPD Announces Citywide Crime Statistics for April 2022​

May 3, 2022
Intelligence-Driven Policing, Focus on Guns and Quality-of-Life Offenses Continue
For the month of April 2022, New York City saw a 38% decrease in homicides (31 v. 50) and a 29.1% drop in shooting incidents (105 v. 148) compared to April 2021.
Overall index crime increased by 34.2% in April 2022, compared to the same period a year ago (9,463 v. 7,051) – a total driven by a 43.5% increase in grand larceny (3,867 v. 2,694) and a 41.5% increase in robbery (1,261 v. 891). Burglaries also increased by 39.4% (1,209 v. 867) in April 2022 compared to last year.

NYC Subway Crime Jumps 30%, Defying Surge in Police Patrols​

• Thousands of additional transit patrols won’t last, Adams says
  • NYPD is spending $20 million more per month on overtime costs
New York Police Department officers enter a subway in New York City. 

New York Police Department officers enter a subway in New York City. Photographer: Stephanie Keith/Bloomberg
By
Fola Akinnibi and
Gregory Korte
January 6, 2023 at 10:49 AM EST

Listen to this article​

3:38

Share this article​

Gift this article

Follow the authors
@folaak

1064076D
NEW YORK CITY POLICE DEPARTM
Private Company

TWTR
TWITTER INC
Private Company

New York City’s subway crime rose by 30% in 2022 from a year ago, outpacing the 22% jump in major crimes across the city during the same period, according to police data released this week.
The increase comes despite the deployment of thousands of additional police patrols in the transit system, which has limits due to high costs and the toll it takes on cops.
The current surge in subway patrols is necessary to reduce crime and put riders at ease, Mayor Eric Adams said at a briefing Thursday. “Once we stabilized that, we’re going to right-size,” he said. “You’re going to see a normalizing of the number of people who are there.”
The New York City Police Department is spending an additional $20 million per month on overtime costs on top of regular levels, which pushed its overtime spending to $272 million through November. That’s more than 70% of the annual overtime budget for the fiscal year that ends June 30, according to New York City Comptroller Brad Lander’s office.
The rise in spending comes as Adams tries to tamp down on criticism that the city isn’t doing enough to combat crime in the transit system, where ridership has stagnated at 60% of 2019 levels. Meanwhile, some City Council members said the money should be spent on other services like schools and libraries, which are grappling with budget cuts.

More from
Bloomberg Citylab

What Happens to Climate Migrants After the Dust Settles
Rich NYC Suburbs Fight Housing Plan They Say Will ‘Destroy’ Them
Jersey City Is Trying to Reimagine Public Housing Redevelopment
Paris Votes to Ban Shared E-Scooters
NYPD Chief of Transit Michael Kemper on Thursday said the additional subway patrols helped reduce major crime in the transit system by 4.6% from the end of October through December, compared to the same period in 2021.
“This plan is paying dividends,” Kemper said. “We went from a very concerning increase in crime for the first 10 months of the year to a sharp turnaround during the last nine weeks of the year.”
The number of subway incidents remained lower than pre-pandemic levels, when there were more riders. Still, a lack of ridership comes with major costs for New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority. As a result of depressed ridership, the MTA said in December that it would hike fares by 5.5%, cut spending and reduce service on some subway lines.

“We are counting on our partners in government to step up and deal with the financial strains that have been created by the loss of ridership,” Janno Lieber, the MTA’s chief executive officer, said last month.
Read More: NY MTA Approves $19 Billion Budget With Fare Hike, Service Cuts

Police Pushback​

Adams and New York Governor Kathy Hochul in October pledged 1,200 overtime shifts by NYPD officers to supplement the nearly 2,600 cops already assigned to the system. That surge was meant to address a pandemic-related increase in subway crime, which came as riders returned to public transit.
The Police Benevolent Association, which represents more than 24,000 NYPD cops, suggested that the continued pace was unsustainable and that the city was “underpaying and overworking cops.”
In a series of local television interviews on Friday morning, Adams tried to direct focus away from the numbers and toward the perception of everyday New Yorkers. He also said the city needed to encourage cops to walk around and engage with riders, rather than just stand guard at subway stations.
“It’s important that people are not only safe based on the numbers, but they feel safe also,” Adams said on Fox 5’s “Good Day New York.” “We know that we are far from where we want to be, but we’re seeing a safer, cleaner system.”
He also noted that while major crimes are up, driven by an uptick in robberies and burglaries, homicides actually fell 11% in 2022 from a year ago and shootings dropped 17% during the same period.
“The last six months you saw a clear indicator that we’re trending in the right direction,” Adams said in a separate interview on Spectrum News NY1.

nice cherry picking of one stat. LMAO

Last edited:

spARTacus

Your free to do what ever you want, believe anything. You just have a habit of discounting anything you have not witnessed. Sp I will tell you what I tell some people who either refuse to look at the stats/facts/math/science please remember to ask for a window seat in the box car……lmao…woof!
If you wish to believe that then you can, your choice. I think it kind of makes you seem foolish however, if you state that, since I think if you actually read the posts you'll see that I do not just automatically discount whatever I haven't witnessed. I admit that I do not just automatically accept/follow whatever someone might suggest, since I'd not want to just blindly follow guys like yourself for example, into box cars, if that's where you might end up.

spARTacus

Your right those poor souls who died are just well poof souls……..lmao.
This post I found perplexing, in terms of how you think the subject of it serves as a logical response to the one you used it for responding to.

Not sure I ever heard back from you or others about what you thought about supporting the improvements to be made to safety standards and certification, and in respect out of those that died or were injured in EBike fires.

spARTacus

Btw Captain know it all here are the NYCPD stats for 2022:......nice cherry picking of one stat. LMAO
Well good Captian as you have previously referred to yourself, you are correct that I cherry picked a particular stat. I tried to give you a specific chance to rationalize and explain your earlier mentions about NYC as a Dumpster Fire in comparison to when you grew up there. I don't think I saw you respond to that yet. When did you leave NYC after your youth and on that graph? Maybe 1950?

SteinwayTransitCorp

Well good Captian as you have previously referred to yourself, you are correct that I cherry picked a particular stat. I tried to give you a specific chance to rationalize and explain your earlier mentions about NYC as a Dumpster Fire in comparison to when you grew up. I don't think I saw you respond to that yet. When did you leave NYC after your youth and on that graph? Maybe 1950?
You really are a fool, as for leaving nyc I travel back and forth multiple times a month…………burn baby burn…lol

SteinwayTransitCorp

This post made me laugh, given the history of your posting and how it sometimes degenerates into name calling once other avenues of attempted influencing have led to dead ends.
I don’t try to influence I just will make a statement and you always have to come back with Owen can’t be that way or must be something better. You always seem to know it all and then you fade into the background for a minute and then you come back that’s what you do facts mean nothing to you when people present them you must come up with an opinion or a feeling my feeling is it’s not this it’s just ridiculous. .

SteinwayTransitCorp

This post made me laugh, given the history of your posting and how it sometimes degenerates into name calling once other avenues of attempted influencing have led to dead ends.
First of all, I never start out, calling anybody anything I present facts and I wait for a response. When the facts or the opinion doesn’t seem to match what you want or certain other people want it completely goes off the rails. Electric bikes are dangerous. They are killing people in multiple cities in the United States on a fairly regular basis. If this was any other product, it would’ve been recalled long ago. Meanwhile, electric cars and the owners that have them are having trouble getting car insurance as many insurers now refused to cover them. This, of course, is a fact not fiction not feel good not not feel good I’m sure somehow you will feel that this is insulting name-calling or I am trying to sway your opinion. I do not try to sway your opinion I present you with facts you just refuse to look at them.

SteinwayTransitCorp

If you say so, but when did you first leave NYC after your youth when growing up there, 1950, or maybe 1960?
this is my main point when I told you that the MCI buses the city of New York use as transits are not the same as over the road buses you proceeded to tell me it didn’t seem right I think it looks like the same boss. They’re too luxurious, you never can just except the facts you must say something.

spARTacus

...you always have to come back with Owen can’t be that way or must be something better. You always seem to know it all and then you fade into the background for a minute and then you come back that’s what you do facts mean nothing to you when people present them you must come up with an opinion or a feeling my feeling is it’s not this it’s just ridiculous. .
You probably need to read the postings a bit more and be a bit more open to what they actually indicate, not what you perceive they imply. You are correct that I often challenge some of the stuff that seems to get posted, and more so for stuff that just seems to be noise about pushing one's opinions onto others. Like you say, can't allow oneself ro ne led into a box car.

SteinwayTransitCorp

You probably need to read the postings a bit more and be a bit more open to what they actually indicate, not what you perceive they imply. You are correct that I often challenge some of the stuff that seems to get posted, and more so for stuff that just seems to be noise about pushing one's opinions onto others. Like you say, can't allow oneself ro ne led into a box car.
But you challenge on things you know nothing about or very little it’s just amazing That’s what’s so annoying people present you with facts and you challenge them because you just don’t think they’re right you may not have any basis on that but you believe they’re not right

the box car awaits

SteinwayTransitCorp

I think you need to stop believing that half the stuff you push is fact, science, etc. Lots of opinion comes out in your posts, labelled incorrectly as facts.
You mean like the NYPD facts…lol. Or the transit crime facts…….lmao. Or maybe the fire stats from the NYFD………..oh my

spARTacus

this is my main point when I told you that the MCI buses the city of New York use as transits are not the same as over the road buses you proceeded to tell me it didn’t seem right I think it looks like the same boss. They’re too luxurious, you never can just except the facts you must say something.
Not true. I can accept facts. When opinion however is presented as fact, and when there is also indication that the opinion is not fully (to my knowledge/experience) accurate, then yes I will not accept or I will challenge.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Not true. I can accept facts. When opinion however is presented as fact, and when there is also indication that the opinion is not fully (to my knowledge/experience) accurate, then yes I will not accept or I will challenge.
I told you my faMiley owned one of the largest transit companies in nyc before we sold it to the TA, I speak from experience not feelings

spARTacus

But you challenge on things you know nothing about or very little it’s just amazing That’s what’s so annoying people present you with facts and you challenge them because you just don’t think they’re right you may not have any basis on that but you believe they’re not right

the box car awaits
No I only challenge if I know what I am talking about or if I think someone is wrongly opinionating, or also if someone is trying to push their opinions off as fact.

SteinwayTransitCorp

No I only challenge if I know what I am talking about or if I think someone is wrongly opinionating, or also if someone is trying to push their opinions off as fact.
Well e bikes are dangerous fact, electric cars are not carbon neutral fact, Crime is up in NYC is up fact, MCI makes a transit model bus fact. So we’re am I wrong?