Switzerland considers restrictions on EV use this winter

idssteve

Wyoming's enjoyed goto source for low sulfur coal in recent decades. Last I heard their grid exports more than it uses domestically. Coal represents THE most carbon intense fuel to power transportation with. An utterly counterproductive source for charging EV. Your carbon footprint could prove LESS carbon intense by burning oil in your car?

That said, WY is BIG in wind. Afaik? Plans to get bigger. Also "plans" for LOTS of battery, I'm hearing. Any "plan" MUST include sequence, tho. Shutting down coal BEFORE its replacement is solidly established is hardly a diligently derived "plan". Imo

Ph1llip

Shutting down coal BEFORE its replacement is solidly established is hardly a diligently derived "plan". Imo
And that's the whole point, isn't it.

The Green Loony Club has become a cult whose members want to impose woefully unreliable technology by fiat on everything and everyone instead of individual use cases where it's currently proven to be workable. Except We The People are standing in their way 🤪.

Chuck Finley69

Wyoming's enjoyed goto source for low sulfur coal in recent decades. Last I heard their grid exports more than it uses domestically. Coal represents THE most carbon intense fuel to power transportation with. An utterly counterproductive source for charging EV. Your carbon footprint could prove LESS carbon intense by burning oil in your car? That said, WY is BIG in wind. Afaik? Plans to get bigger. Also "plans" for LOTS of battery, I'm hearing. Any "plan" MUST include sequence, tho. Shutting down coal BEFORE its replacement is solidly established is hardly a diligently derived "plan". Imo

‐----------------------------------------------------------------------

The improper sequence has been the problem and it seems pretty obvious to both the good and the evil or so I thought.

idssteve

"Legislature is considering a resolution".

It's just a political stunt.
Lol... Plenty of that going around? In many directions? Ug

L3 charging poses legitimate concern for micro AND macro scale grids. Imo. Sorting thru that may demand "political" response?

Of course if minimizing C were the true mission, natural gas combustion produces roughly 1/3 CO2 as coal. ? Does charging EVs with coal fired electricity make ANY sense? Could it be argued that recent winter time NG shortages were aggravated via some "political stunts" as well? Lol

SteinwayTransitCorp

Lol... Plenty of that going around? In many directions? Ug

L3 charging poses legitimate concern for micro AND macro scale grids. Imo. Sorting thru that may demand "political" response?

Of course if minimizing C were the true mission, natural gas combustion produces roughly 1/3 CO2 as coal. ? Does charging EVs with coal fired electricity make ANY sense? Could it be argued that recent winter time NG shortages were aggravated via some "political stunts" as well? Lol
You too? Stunts?

idssteve

An inconvenient reality is that shifting liquid fueled transportation sector onto utility grid may virtually double grid demands? Few grid operators, mini or monster, currently enjoy 200% capacity! Most are retiring existing generation. Afaik?

Regardless of source, home charging of millions of EV will demand infrastructure upgrade to accommodate. Not unreasonable to expect doubling existing capacity of generation, transmission, distribution, even home service connections...

it WONT happen "painlessly". A few KNOW this. At least two, the wife's parents lol, delight to the prospect of "great satan Amerika " suffering for our sins... I kid not! Go figure. Imagine Thanksgiving with inlaws!! Lol.

Diverting the discussion proves the real stunt. Imo.

SteinwayTransitCorp

An inconvenient reality is that shifting liquid fueled transportation sector onto utility grid may virtually double grid demands? Few grid operators, mini or monster, currently enjoy 200% capacity! Most are retiring existing generation. Afaik?

Regardless of source, home charging of millions of EV will demand infrastructure upgrade to accommodate. Not unreasonable to expect doubling existing capacity of generation, transmission, distribution, even home service connections...

it WONT happen "painlessly". A few KNOW this. At least two, the wife's parents lol, delight to the prospect of "great satan Amerika " suffering for our sins... I kid not! Go figure. Imagine Thanksgiving with inlaws!! Lol.

Diverting the discussion proves the real stunt. Imo.
You just hit the whole Green issue on the head. These fanatics never look at the details just the hope. Just like the argument about gas stoves and air pollution. Yes they make some, but you caused this issue by solving another issue. We now build almost airtight homes, guess what? Yup interior pollution is now and issue. No good turn goes Unpunished

idssteve

You just hit the whole Green issue on the head. These fanatics never look at the details just the hope. Just like the argument about gas stoves and air pollution. Yes they make some, but you caused this issue by solving another issue. We now build almost airtight homes, guess what? Yup interior pollution is now and issue. No good turn goes Unpunished
Not MY home... got windows that haven't been fully shut in decades! FULLY off grid means zero bill. Zero emissions. Zero guilt! The heat energy I'm letting out the window is FREE! Borrowed from the universe yesterday. Returned today. Ah the freedom of free! Wife's parents still act like our grid free comfort MUST be some sort of "sin". Which "sin" they can't say. Lol.
The "sin" of NOT doing our part to wreck "great satan Amerika" ? Lol.

I've been naturalist, conservationist, etc all of my life! I took action decades ago. Few DO more than talk. Mostly talk about what OTHERS should do, imo..

We have a "gas stove". Fed with home generated hydrogen. Still seeking an odor formula compatible with H2. Too dangerous for indoors as odorless. Imo. Back porch H2 fired grill okay safety wise. I taste a "metallic" flavor from it tho. Still refining. As time permits... Running short on expected decades, tho. Lol

Not MY home... got windows that haven't been fully shut in decades! FULLY off grid means zero bill. Zero emissions. Zero guilt! The heat energy I'm letting out the window is FREE! Borrowed from the universe yesterday. Returned today. Ah the freedom of free! Wife's parents still act like our grid free comfort MUST be some sort of "sin". Which "sin" they can't say. Lol.
The "sin" of NOT doing our part to wreck "great satan Amerika" ? Lol.

I've been naturalist, conservationist, etc all of my life! I took action decades ago. Few DO more than talk. Mostly talk about what OTHERS should do, imo..

We have a "gas stove". Fed with home generated hydrogen. Still seeking an odor formula compatible with H2. Too dangerous for indoors as odorless. Imo. Back porch H2 fired grill okay safety wise. I taste a "metallic" flavor from it tho. Still refining. As time permits... Running short on expected decades, tho. Lol
Is H2 poiosonous, Steve? Or is adding an odour about reducing the risk of combustion?

idssteve

Is H2 poiosonous, Steve? Or is adding an odour about reducing the risk of combustion?
Risk of combustion is my concern. If confined. It's way lighter than air so somewhat floats safely away outdoors. No real toxicity that concerns me or the wife. We're hard core organic everything and then some. Lol. I've grilled over H2 and consumed the result. Only complaint is a "metallic taste" only I seem to taste. Theorizing some possible interaction with Cu tubing or my electrolysis probes or? Idk. Low priority in recent decades. Lol. Odorants I've tried smell up the house. Long list to try yet.

I keep home made H2 handy for a fuel cell backup bought at a surplus sale. Never needed tho. Just an abundance of redundancy. Lol. Never grew out of the "play stage", I guess. Lol.

spARTacus

I wouldn't say that heavily insulated and tightly sealed houses are an issue. Most (at least in Canadian cold climates) have air exchangers, and are in total consideration more efficient and cheaper to heat/operate than older loosely insulated/sealed houses.

idssteve

I wouldn't say that heavily insulated and tightly sealed houses are an issue. Most (at least in Canadian cold climates) have air exchangers, and are in total consideration more efficient and cheaper to heat/operate than older loosely insulated/sealed houses.
+1 for air exchangers! SOP for facilities we spec. BIG advocate for fresh air. Especially living with virus realities. Lol.

My homestead "FREEdom" might not prove so "free" much further north? Lol. I'd like more details on gas stove athsma etc "studies". Never really trusted odorants and other contaminants in NG, myself. Don't really trust emf radiating from 50amp electric stoves, either. Lol.

Last edited:

spARTacus

+1 for air exchangers! SOP for facilities we spec. BIG advocate for fresh air. Especially living with virus realities. Lol.

My homestead "FREEdom" might not prove so "free" much further north? Lol. I'd like more details on gas stove athsma etc "studies". Never really trusted oderants and other contaminants in NG, myself. Don't really trust emf radiating from 50amp electric stoves, either. Lol.
In theory, gas stoves in houses should be properly vented/exhausted directly to exterior, just like gas/propane/oil furnaces. Shouldn't, in theory, be a source for internal to house pollutants. If anything, should help to create a negative pressure and permit for more exterior fresh air to leak in. Most modern gas/propane furnace setups in Canada also require their own separately piped ability to draw in fresh exterior air, in support of feeding combustion. With a woodstove in my house, the negative pressure situation in the middle of the winter is sometimes interesting (even with an air exchanger). Sometimes have to crack a window to help generate a draft up the chimney, or to avoid smoke into the house upon wood fire starting.

SteinwayTransitCorp

I was talking about indoor pollution in general, our house we built also had an air exchanger, worked fine. I was not not saying would should go back to leaky houses. But we swing from one Extreme to another and in the process create other issues. Typical government intervention, find a problem and fix it by creating another problem.