Switzerland considers restrictions on EV use this winter

idssteve

The gripe I was more referring to is when engineering by PowerPoint results in wrong decisions. Presumably happens all the time nowadays. The CAIB Report Vol1 pg 191 refers to this as "engineering by viewgraphs", and elsewhere in the report it discusses the significant negative implication contributions of such back then at NASA.
Yes. My beef as well. Shudda heard growns of anguish when NASA transitioned from Apple to MS. Just after I left. Loll.

M. E. Dept head at **** school of mines wore BIBS. It's a school of MINES, he'd pronounce. REAL (old school) engineers get dirty! They shower morning AND evening. Sometimes between. Lol

He was famous for always carrying various custom slide rules, calipers, tape, straight edge, various micrographs, pencil pointer, water pump pliers, etc, etc. Raised on a farm. Loll. He carted a folding drawing board suitcase he'd fabbed to a worksite. Drew up as builts as they were built! Lol

First hour of Freshmen first day "orientation 101", he'd rant about the new generation. Loll.

One story he always told, first day...

"A preacher, a drunkard, and an engineer were all waiting their turn at the guillotine. Preacher was asked if he wanted to look up? Or look down? He replied "I wanna go face up. Facing our Lord!". He was laid face up. Trigger pulled. Blade stopped mid travel. A miracle was declared and preacher set free.

Drunkard then chose face up also. Blade also stopped part way. Drunkard also set free.

Engineer also chose face up. Executioner hand on trigger. Engineer notices something, points and says "I see your problem... ". Loll.

Sometimes knowing when NOT to speak proves critical. Loll. A lesson still learning for me. Lol

Last edited:

idssteve

Aaaargghhhh...you see, I couldn't handle something like that as calmy as you did. I'm so OCD. When it comes to potentially life saving equipment like a vehicle, I only use stuff that can be relied upon 99.9999997 of the time. Which the starter motor and battery of my ICE SUV and pickup both are.

I wonder how the Swiss (or the rest of Western Europe for that matter) handle this during winter, especially as most of these countries have small housing plots especially in metropolitan areas and hardly anyone has a garage???
I can tolerate some unreliability IF, BIG if, it's in exchange for repairability? Filing points, jump start, etc were expected in MY day. Lol. I suspect STC might share similar vintage? Heehee...

Regardless, how might a service truck restore service? Doesn't sound like a jump start friendly scenario? Ug

If the thing enjoyed Swappable battery config, a service truck might snap in a warmed battery? Lol.

My home built ev F350 WILL enjoy Swappable config. NOT likely Li chemistry, tho. NiMh proves pretty low temperature friendly... if energy density handicapped. Lol

Last edited:

idssteve

Sanity check time? Asked to visit Highschool yesterday. Discussed NiFe chemistry with Science, Chemistry, Physics, ... "Shop", ... teachers. They're exploring getting HS kids involved with fabbing NiFe batts for mini muni grid! Go figure. A couple kids asked questions I really wasn't prepared for. Go figure. Lol

NiFe chemistry proves comparatively low toxicity. Still involves some very caustic "electrolyte", etc. Standard industrial precautions needed. Etc. City attorney is sorting "legalities". Lol

Toughest question encountered was "why?"... Ug. I'm trying to example role model for potential future engineers! So long as a client's request proves legal and ethical, an engineer's job is to make the clients' dream come true. Ours is NOT to question why? Lmao. That's exactly the root of this muni's predicament! Leave it to "kids" to ask THE question! Lol

The nuts and bolts answer was that someone, many states away, decided to retire half of this community's generation before its replacement was ready. Before such replacement was even planned! Even seriously discussed! The cart got ahead of the horse!

Idk, the idea of "horse emissions" dropping BEHIND the cart has some merit? Lol. Some new "pusher harness" needs development, tho. Lol

The THIRST for answers proves imposing. I'm preparing some calcs for teachers to discuss. Will share here, time permitting. Other clients wait, tho...

SteinwayTransitCorp

Aaaargghhhh...you see, I couldn't handle something like that as calmy as you did. I'm so OCD. When it comes to potentially life saving equipment like a vehicle, I only use stuff that can be relied upon 99.9999997 of the time. Which the starter motor and battery of my ICE SUV and pickup both are.

I wonder how the Swiss (or the rest of Western Europe for that matter) handle this during winter, especially as most of these countries have small housing plots especially in metropolitan areas and hardly anyone has a garage???
Very frustrating when it’s a self inflicted and could have been avoided

idssteve

Yes there is, this is the mistake of the EV push now. Wait for it to mature instead of turning people off

If our grid were predominantly renewably sourced, or hydro, the rush could be argued, at least. Could make sense for hydro rich Canada?

22% of USA grid is coal fired. Coal is virtually (super simplistically put) 100% Carbon. Coal combustion produces virtually (super simplistically put) 100% CO2. Twice the CO2 of oil. Three times CO2 of NG. Sanity check simplistic. Lol

If you're charging your EV with coal fired energy, you are (super simplistically put) generating TWICE the CO2 that your "equivalent" gasoline or diesel vehicle would generate!

In case of the mini muni I've been interacting recently, their NG supply was curtailed last Christmas. The grid was teetering. They were generating native load with #2 diesel. And pushing back what they could to grateful grid operators. Who eagerly granted permission to pull paddles on Reverse Power relays. Lol.

If, say, I drove my home built EV F350 and charged it here, with that oil fired energy last Christmas, what's gained over burning that same quantity of oil with the F350's existing Powerstroke diesel? ??

Yes, the muni's half century old 13.5" bore, 514rpm, variable intake valve Miller cycle FS model Nordberg IS (still!) a marvel of thermal efficiency. But so is my "modern" F350's computer controlled fuel injection delivery rate and injection timing Powerstroke!

The advantage I anticipate with MY EV F350 is charging its Swappable batteries FOR FREE from my off grid homestead! AND freedom from "brewing" so much home brewed bio for it. Getting old, I guess. Lol

USA's grid is FAR from prepared to accommodate transportation loads. Imo. "Mini Muni" could not have sustained a single 1000A L3 charger last Christmas. They're contemplating ordinances regulating L3 charging. OR, deriving incentives for leveraging EV battery support thru two way L3?

Last edited:

Chuck Finley69

If our grid were predominantly renewably sourced, or hydro, the rush could be argued, at least. Could make sense for hydro rich Canada? 22% of USA grid is coal fired. Coal is virtually (super simplistically put) 100% Carbon. Coal combustion produces virtually (super simplistically put) 100% CO2. Twice the CO2 of oil. Three times CO2 of NG. Sanity check simplistic. Lol If you're charging your EV with coal fired energy, you are (super simplistically put) generating TWICE the CO2 that your "equivalent" gasoline or diesel vehicle would generate! In case of the mini muni I've been interacting recently, their NG supply was curtailed last Christmas. The grid was teetering. They were generating native load with #2 diesel. And pushing back what they could to grateful grid operators. Who eagerly granted permission to pull paddles on Reverse Power relays. Lol. If, say, I drove my home built EV F350 and charged it here, with that oil fired energy last Christmas, what's gained over burning that same quantity of oil with the F350's existing Powerstroke diesel? ?? Yes, the muni's half century old 13.5" bore, 514rpm, variable intake valve Miller cycle FS model Nordberg IS (still!) a marvel of thermal efficiency. But so is my "modern" F350's computer controlled fuel injection delivery rate and injection timing Powerstroke! The advantage I anticipate with MY EV F350 is charging its Swappable batteries FOR FREE from my off grid homestead! AND freedom from "brewing" so much home brewed bio for it. Getting old, I guess. Lol USA's grid is FAR from prepared to accommodate transportation loads. Imo. "Mini Muni" could not have sustained a single 1000A L3 charger last Christmas. They're contemplating ordinances regulating L3 charging. OR, deriving incentives for leveraging EV battery support thru two way L3?

---------------------------------------------

I nominate you in charge

idssteve

He can handle it, after all he loaded raw dilithium Crystals while in battle…….

Scotty's description of proximity to antimatter flow always reminded me of a BRIEF experience in a Faraday suit... lol

SteinwayTransitCorp

Scotty's description of proximity to antimatter flow always reminded me of a BRIEF experience in a Faraday suit... lol

Well said. Many years ago when I was young a friend talked me into going out west as a lineman/aerial service. You strap on an aluminum suit and get lifted by a chopper. Next get lowered down to the high tension lines and hook on live. You are now in the circuit. You must stay away from the towers 8 feet, get any closer and poof just ash falling to the ground. In the end I thought not enough money for this…..lol

idssteve

He can handle it, after all he loaded raw dilithium Crystals while in battle…….

Well said. Many years ago when I was young a friend talked me into going out west as a lineman/aerial service. You strap on an aluminum suit and get lifted by a chopper. Next get lowered down to the high tension lines and hook on live. You are now in the circuit. You must stay away from the towers 8 feet, get any closer and poof just ash falling to the ground. In the end I thought not enough money for this…..lol
Lol. Was hoping someone around here would prove familiar with Faraday suit. Very VERRRY brief for me. Likewise, I wouldn't PAY to do it so...

The whole time I recalled Scotty's words. Pretty insightful for TV. Also running thru various bio-ionic processes. I was still planning for children! Lol.

Gratefully SOME "body" does it. Lol

Whole nuther meaning to "in charge". Lol

Last edited:

SteinwayTransitCorp

Lol. Was hoping someone around here would prove familiar with Faraday suit. Very VERRRY brief for me. Likewise, I wouldn't PAY to do it so...

The whole time I recalled Scotty's words. Pretty insightful for TV. Also running thru various bio-ionic processes. I was still planning for children! Lol.

Gratefully SOME "body" does it. Lol

Whole nuther meaning to "in charge". Lol
Well we are in a club of 2 maybe 3…………as Spock would say….interesting…lmao

idssteve

Well we are in a club of 2 maybe 3…………as Spock would say….interesting…lmao
"Fascinating" always seemed a sorta "emotional" response? Loll. Nimoy's parents were from Ukraine I believe? Recall some stories about his mom hiding under hay bales in a horse drawn wagon escaping Stalin's "utopia". ?? Heard long ago so... ? LLAP...

idssteve

Back toward something resembling topic, lol, my client in "mini muni" is coordinating with them to supply PVs and batts to cover much of client's planned expansion, at least. An expansion requested by a customer for some product lines. At least 50% expansion. Providing about similar expansion in local employment. Demanding about that in electricity. Both energy and demand.

Power reliability is critical. Encountering certain minimum temperature thresholds during power outage might demand DAYS of downtime after just 30minute outage. This muni's historic reliability was a big motive for plant location. They hadn't suffered longer than 10 minute outage since 1960s. Owing to native, quick response, RICE. AND diligence of City personnel. This past Christmas, mini muni requested my client shut down. No outage. Just "polite request". Personnel enjoyed a Christmas break. Lol. Coin counters did NOT. They don't want a repeat.

All involved are committed to restoring historic availability. BUT, much like Switzerland, even tho EV charging has proven negligible so far... L3's A significant "unknowable" for planners, so far. Here we are. Lol

Last edited: