Switzerland considers restrictions on EV use this winter

idssteve

Nothing you did. There was some behind the scenes cleanup done and your post was probably included.
Lol... the wife's been known to do that with some sloppily laid about things during cleanup sessions... Lol

So long as I'm not "infarction". Lol

howarmat

Nope carry on please.

I actually would like to hear real world accounts from people with EVs in the cold. I know plenty from the people I work with but hopefully some others share their experience here.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Nope carry on please.

I actually would like to hear real world accounts from people with EVs in the cold. I know plenty from the people I work with but hopefully some others share their experience here.
When I was in NY I left out the car one night at 30 degrees. The battery was fully charged, next morning 52 percent. Also the cabin hear was ok not great, if it was really cold it would not have been great. The range was cut by about 25 percent. Next night car was plugged in on warm mode. Battery stayed at 94 percent still a loss. On the Tesla owners only site, the complaints Christmas Day came fast and furious. Cars even plugged in on warm did not hold a charge.

Last edited:

idssteve

Nope carry on please.

Me2. Only first hand experience I can offer is with wife's EV conversion Prius. Toyota's "special sauce" NiMH chemistry seems pretty ambivalent to low temps. A WELL proven unsung success story, imo. Her's is fitted with 4x oem NiMH which affords a comfortable 20mile daily commute. Without its Atkinson cycle ice involvement. Nice to know it's there. Caveat? Top speed about 35. Without waking its ice. Fine for her commute. AND utterly FREE "fuel" from our off grid power. Best thing is wife's secure in her non-nuke karma... Happy wife = happy Steve... Lol

SteinwayTransitCorp

Me2. Only first hand experience I can offer is with wife's EV conversion Prius. Toyota's "special sauce" NiMH chemistry seems pretty ambivalent to low temps. A WELL proven unsung success story, imo. Her's is fitted with 4x oem NiMH which affords a comfortable 20mile daily commute. Without its Atkinson cycle ice involvement. Nice to know it's there. Caveat? Top speed about 35. Without waking its ice. Fine for her commute. AND utterly FREE "fuel" from our off grid power. Best thing is wife's secure in her non-nuke karma... Happy wife = happy Steve... Lol
Just had a software update that helps the car in cold weather. Since I am back in FLA cold weather will have to wait…lol

SteinwayTransitCorp

one of my many toys, that a close friend of mine on running board. Large Carbon Footprint and loving every minute!

Attachments

• 1DC92207-47E6-4749-8AC9-64FA68D4986C.png
    1DC92207-47E6-4749-8AC9-64FA68D4986C.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 6

idssteve

one of my many toys, that a close friend of mine on running board. Large Carbon Footprint and loving every minute!
RU hauling stuff in remote locales? Our extended monster corp keeps a couple 6x available loaded with equipment. Drove one up a fire road, couple decades ago. Sticking with my F350 and diesel pusher motorhome, older years. Lol. That one was a gasser.

Happy to assist learning to make home brew to feed that beast with... ? The truck that is. Lol.

SteinwayTransitCorp

RU hauling stuff in remote locales? Our extended monster corp keeps a couple 6x available loaded with equipment. Drove one up a fire road, couple decades ago. Sticking with my F350 and diesel pusher motorhome, older years. Lol. That one was a gasser.

Happy to assist learning to make home brew to feed that beast with... ? The truck that is. Lol.
I have to tell you, I love my truck, it is a continental multi fuel, straight six. It will burn anything except aviation fuel. When we lived in Georgia, the highway patrol came to get it because a group of scouts was up in the back country with severe rain. I drove the truck through mud that was up to the axles on the truck, put it into Lolo and it just wanted to go.. I use it now for parades and other things, it also has the winter package so it does have heat.

Ph1llip

I have to tell you, I love my truck, it is a continental multi fuel, straight six. It will burn anything except aviation fuel. When we lived in Georgia, the highway patrol came to get it because a group of scouts was up in the back country with severe rain. I drove the truck through mud that was up to the axles on the truck, put it into Lolo and it just wanted to go.. I use it now for parades and other things, it also has the winter package so it does have heat.
That thing is a keeper. There is no way an all electric truck today with all the bells and whistles could match its (backcountry or otherwise) performance. The battery alone would have to take up the whole bed. If you carried extra fuel for long range use, forget it.

Steve has the right idea in that his EV's are custom made specifically for his use cases. I don't think manufacturers will get there any time soon., at a price point that makes economic sense.

I'm a fan of an author named J W Rawles. He writes prepper fiction books. This truck is the sort of vehicle that would feature in it.

Chuck Finley69

That thing is a keeper. There is no way an all electric truck today with all the bells and whistles could match its (backcountry or otherwise) performance. The battery alone would have to take up the whole bed. If you carried extra fuel for long range use, forget it. Steve has the right idea in that his EV's are custom made specifically for his use cases. I don't think manufacturers will get there any time soon., at a price point that makes economic sense. I'm a fan of an author named J W Rawles. He writes prepper fiction books. This truck is the sort of vehicle that would feature in it.
‐-----------------‐-------------------------------
Now you've got me researching new author to read like I used to read Clancy for some downtime relaxing

Ph1llip

That thing is a keeper. There is no way an all electric truck today with all the bells and whistles could match its (backcountry or otherwise) performance. The battery alone would have to take up the whole bed. If you carried extra fuel for long range use, forget it. Steve has the right idea in that his EV's are custom made specifically for his use cases. I don't think manufacturers will get there any time soon., at a price point that makes economic sense. I'm a fan of an author named J W Rawles. He writes prepper fiction books. This truck is the sort of vehicle that would feature in it.
‐-----------------‐-------------------------------
Now you've got me researching new author to read like I used to read Clancy for some downtime relaxing
If you like Tom Clancy, you'll like Vince Flynn and J W Rawles. May I suggest Term Limits and Patriots.

Ph1llip

Been watching one potential alternative chemistry... Others coming

Hmmm...while I'd love for this to be a real thing, the science for this appears to be questionable for now or at the very least not yet proven. There are no working prototype vehicles for this technology that can be examined even though they've been around since the early 2010's?

A physicist has also speculated that the science doesn't work out.

SteinwayTransitCorp

Hmmm...while I'd love for this to be a real thing, the science for this appears to be questionable for now or at the very least not yet proven. There are no working prototype vehicles for this technology that can be examined even though they've been around since the early 2010's?

This goes back further than that, I remember this hyped around 2000

idssteve

Yeah, been watching for a while. Potential not yet reality. Sorta similar strategies in the worx tho.

idssteve

Some mini muni grid operations are considering leveraging connected and willing EV battery as capacity. Key word willing. Loll.

With these things deployed, utilities in Switzerland and California might PAY to keep participating EVs plugged in?

Last edited: